Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Read the comments at the link about this antenna.

This is proof that whooty's posts cannot be taken at face value about anything. Ever.
    C'mon, Lummy. There are a lot of people around the world who live in dense neighborhoods with antenna restrictions, or in apartment complexes. And if the price is too much, this antenna is really nothing more than 2 loops of wire with a simple antenna tuner. As someone who has strung up wire in a room on multiple occasions, measuring, cutting, and experimenting, this thing is almost as effective and way more aesthetically pleasing.

It would make for a nice couple day project to build your own version of this, with the added benefit of being able to fine tune it for the bands you wanted to hit, and getting rid of unwanted noise particular to your area. Hell, trade out the loops for a spider coil and go really old school. Make it big and hang it on the wall. Instant wall art

When I used to watch tv, but got sick of paying for cable and their commercials, I would buy a standard 6 foot coax cable. I would cut 2 pieces of wire, 3 feet long. I would cut off 1 end of the coax and split the cable open. Twist the shield wire together and solder it to 1 wire, then solder the other wire to the center copper line. Then tack the coax to the wall behind the tv, and tack the wires out 180 degrees from each other. The coax sets the proper 75 ohms on the antenna, and it works better than the most expensive HD antenna amplifiers sold in stores. Instant dipole glory.

The same principle can be applied to a transceiver or receiver. I think most people with really expensive gear would marvel at how well a piece of 10 or 12 gauge copper electrical wire, 6 to 8 feet long, would work when soldered to the center lead on any 50 ohm coax cable. You can even transmit off of it within reason.

Saw this one online

fbb5585e82af032f5ddd5ebb2e710824.jpg
    Last edited by RadioGod; 10-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-15-2019)

+ Reply to Thread