Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Couple rants.

I've been casually watching some stuff lately and I get annoyed by it.

First, some members complain when they're threadbanned or have some other moderation action taken against them, then they're the first to single out other members and say "see, if I did that I'd be banned" or whatever. This $#@! is petty and childish, what these members can't see is that often people who aren't persistent, problematic members might get a "free pass" or two but once they start becoming regular problem children and they'll get dope slapped for it. Most members will say "ok, I deserved that" and move on. Some members don't know when to quit and just keep pouring on the childishness, carrying on like children playing the victim.

Shut the $#@! up already, honestly. If your life is that miserable that you need to play a victim on a political message board to fulfill your attention deficits then you should seek professional help and stop polluting the forum with your diseased mindset.

I know this doesn't change anything with anyone, but it's cathartic and better than an aneurism.

Second, and I'm not going to call anyone out because it's against the rules although I don't think this person would mind it, but some members think the forum (mods, ADMIN) have a duty to the forum to provide the right mix of members, so much that they expect mods to ban members that they don't politically agree with. This is childish also, the forum (mods, ADMIN) have a duty to provide the forum framework, adequate rules and adequate enforcement of those rules. ADMIN, mods are not responsible for who joins.

So if a couple of Nazi's join and don't break the rules, it's not ADMIN's or the mod's duty to keep the forum Nazi-free. If they break rules then action should be taken but if they're not breaking rules and they get booted simply because they have "alternative" political viewpoints then that's censorship. And that's what some people want and that's bull$#@!. IMHO.

Just like in real life (you know, the stuff that goes on when you're not on the computer), we have liberties and those liberties extend to allow unsavory people to have unsavory thoughts and opinions. Is it up to the gubmint to provide us with a living environment free of people who think differently than us? Of course not, just like it's not up to the forum to provide this for everyone.

The responsibility is on YOU, the member - not ADMIN or the mods. If there are enough members on the forum who think Nazi sympathy is wrong then those people will be ostracized and rejected by the forum's members, passively of course. Same goes for racists, dog killers, etc. It's not the mods job to single out who's a racist or a Nazi and ban them, especially if they're not breaking any rules. It's up to the collective forum, ie: it's members to accept or reject them.

That is all.
    You had me at "couple of rants".
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,829x in 13,706 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Are you sure?

So much bliss, so little time.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

3. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Mainecoons (09-22-2014)

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Polecat's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,009x in 2,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Still the rule is "3. No racial or bigoted attacks (targeting gender, race, sexual preference, or religion)." As I understand it this came down from ADMIN.
    Why are age, nationality, and fashion taste left out of this list?
    My beliefs are a distillation of what I was taught as a child and what I observe as an adult.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,531x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Why are age, nationality, and fashion taste left out of this list?
    Dunno.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread