User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MiddleClass wealth is gone

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Sure, regulation that generally promotes competition. Problem is most regulation inhibits it. Taxes, subsidies, licensing, tariffs, etc, all inhibit competition.
    It's one of the reasons why solar energy hasn't gotten off the ground here yet as an example.

In Europe it's already functioning because they didn't have the red tape needed to process/implement them.
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,310x in 10,922 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Perhaps. But the largest contributor to the shrinking middle class is caused by government regulations, taxes, and programs that don't work as advertized. Whether it is deliberate or not is debatable.
    Peter that is absolutel nonesense and stricktly conservative rich talking points. The shrinking middleclass is the result of a 20-30 assault on the working class by rich corporate interests.

The have carried out a campaign of outsourcing every job they could to various places around the world, china being the premier destination.

The have categorically stripped workers of pensions, benefits and stagnated wages. All to the benefit of the rich.

The rich pay a pittance on any tax rate and I am not going to post again for 15 th time here the list of corporations that PAID ZERO in federal taxs while listing profits in the billions.

Conservatives.

Vote against an raise in the minimum wage that is 20 yrs behind
    Vote against extending unemployment, they say it causes people not to seek work WHAT WORK WHERE ARE THE JOBS. I guess they mean seek work in McDonalds or walmart and still be on food stamps or move to china.
    Voted to reduce food stamps.
    Every Paul ryans budget cuts social security and pushs huge tax cuts for the rich.

They vote FOR and fight like dogs to keep subidies to Rich Corporations that have never had a losing quarter Big Oil, Big Pharma and Big Corporate Farms. No one has ever explained why taxpayers have been raped for decades with these subsidies or why they need them other than to line their pockets even more. While they screw americans at the pump and at the drugstor and supermarket.

Corporate and Rich america is doing FABULOUS its working america and the middleclass that has been crushed by them.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could we trust all corps to operate in a responsible manner without any regulations? I seem to remember a river in our nation bursting into flames because of industrial pollution before regulations. Some people can't be trusted.

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,708x in 54,608 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    It's one of the reasons why solar energy hasn't gotten off the ground here yet as an example.

In Europe it's already functioning because they didn't have the red tape needed to process/implement them.

Right, all the red tape and subsidizing oil make it difficult for new innovations to enter the market.

The answer is thus deregulation. Get rid of red tape and subsidies.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right, all the red tape and subsidizing oil make it difficult for new innovations to enter the market.

The answer is thus deregulation. Get rid of red tape and subsidies.
    I'm an environmentalist, when I think of "regulation" I think mainly of environmental regulation which I generally don't have a problem with.

There is a cost to extract and consume resources and that cost is far too often on the shoulders of unrelated third parties at the benefit of shareholders.
    my junk is ugly

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    Could we trust all corps to operate in a responsible manner without any regulations? I seem to remember a river in our nation bursting into flames because of industrial pollution before regulations. Some people can't be trusted.
    Can you trust anyone? Probably best not to. Regulation that prevents harm by force or fraud protects the rights of people. Nothing wrong with that. Where it get off base--off its constitutional base--is when government regulates to redistribute or protect wealth in various ways.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

PolWatch (10-22-2014)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a good portion of the problem could be resolved by eliminating the current tax standards....but I'm not naive enough to believe that will ever happen. Tax loopholes, etc are the prize that politicians award to their supporters.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,118x in 94,140 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagreed. But I am off to catch a flight....

Just one example- the Fed's monetary policy has stolen 12% of our wealth via inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Peter that is absolutel nonesense and stricktly conservative rich talking points. The shrinking middleclass is the result of a 20-30 assault on the working class by rich corporate interests.

The have carried out a campaign of outsourcing every job they could to various places around the world, china being the premier destination.

The have categorically stripped workers of pensions, benefits and stagnated wages. All to the benefit of the rich.

The rich pay a pittance on any tax rate and I am not going to post again for 15 th time here the list of corporations that PAID ZERO in federal taxs while listing profits in the billions.

Conservatives.

Vote against an raise in the minimum wage that is 20 yrs behind
    Vote against extending unemployment, they say it causes people not to seek work WHAT WORK WHERE ARE THE JOBS. I guess they mean seek work in McDonalds or walmart and still be on food stamps or move to china.
    Voted to reduce food stamps.
    Every Paul ryans budget cuts social security and pushs huge tax cuts for the rich.

They vote FOR and fight like dogs to keep subidies to Rich Corporations that have never had a losing quarter Big Oil, Big Pharma and Big Corporate Farms. No one has ever explained why taxpayers have been raped for decades with these subsidies or why they need them other than to line their pockets even more. While they screw americans at the pump and at the drugstor and supermarket.

Corporate and Rich america is doing FABULOUS its working america and the middleclass that has been crushed by them.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I'm an environmentalist, when I think of "regulation" I think mainly of environmental regulation which I generally don't have a problem with.

There is a cost to extract and consume resources and that cost is far too often on the shoulders of unrelated third parties at the benefit of shareholders.
    If it's genuinely for protecting our environment, then fine, but too often it's done to set up barriers to new innovations in the market, to make it too expensive to start up.

Some I find questionable. There's an intersection of two busy highways near where I live. To alleviate the traffic problem, the state decided to tunnel one under the other. After spending a few million, it was discovered, in some cavities in the underlying limestone live some endangered species spider. Construction has been at a standstill for years. They recently decided to protect the spider they would spend millions extra to build an overpass. That to me is nuts.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    I think a good portion of the problem could be resolved by eliminating the current tax standards....but I'm not naive enough to believe that will ever happen. Tax loopholes, etc are the prize that politicians award to their supporters.
    Yes, something like a flat tax. Though I'd prefer a consumption tax like the Fair Tax.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

PolWatch (10-22-2014)

+ Reply to Thread