Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,160x in 737 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I disagree and use the history of mankind/civilizations as my proof. Subjugation is inevitable.

The strong create a nation. The weak follows them in and destroys it. Every time.
    Now there is a difference between a nation and a state. A state has a monopoly on force and coerces people. A nation however is something I advocate for. That is a culturally homogenous society, such as the Kurds. They have no state yet are able to organize, have solidarity, and even has been the only effective resistance to IS. Not bad for a people without a state huh? With IS, they are getting the opportunity to gain sovereignty from the states that occupy their territory. This opportunity arose very suddenly for the Kurds, but they were prepared. It's about preparation, and I think Cascadia has a prime opportunity to prepare if they wanted to.

Furthermore, history has not been dominated by states that impose their will on other peoples. That is only very recent history. Here is a discussion about medieval towns that maintained anarchy. Many people throughout the Americas maintained similarly autonomous communities. Are you going to argue that those communities weren't civilized?

And when I talk about community, I talk about real community, not a bunch of $#@!s living within close proximity to each other.

I think there is much evidence to extrapolate of a future with more localized communities that aren't controlled by states. Technology is the main reason. Technology makes it way easier to localize because of better efficiency and communications, and that is something that is new to our generation that hasn't existed before. Remember, nothing is constant except change itself. You just have to be ready to seize opportunities.
    "I do not think the measure of a civilization is how tall it's buildings of concrete are, but rather how well it's people have learned to relate to their environment and fellow man." - Chippewa

"They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds." Mexican Proverb

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guerilla For This Useful Post:

Animal Mother (10-30-2014),Codename Section (10-30-2014),Ethereal (10-30-2014)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Guerilla's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,160x in 737 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Cascadia should have sovereignty if for no other reason than the sasquatch militia. @Codename Section am I right or am I right?
    "I do not think the measure of a civilization is how tall it's buildings of concrete are, but rather how well it's people have learned to relate to their environment and fellow man." - Chippewa

"They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds." Mexican Proverb

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
    And Cascadia should have sovereignty if for no other reason than the sasquatch militia. @Codename Section am I right or am I right?
    $#@! yeh! I would join that $#@!.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Codename Section For This Useful Post:

Guerilla (10-30-2014)

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
    Now there is a difference between a nation and a state. A state has a monopoly on force and coerces people. A nation however is something I advocate for. That is a culturally homogenous society, such as the Kurds. They have no state yet are able to organize, have solidarity, and even has been the only effective resistance to IS. Not bad for a people without a state huh? With IS, they are getting the opportunity to gain sovereignty from the states that occupy their territory. This opportunity arose very suddenly for the Kurds, but they were prepared. It's about preparation, and I think Cascadia has a prime opportunity to prepare if they wanted to.

Furthermore, history has not been dominated by states that impose their will on other peoples. That is only very recent history. Here is a discussion about medieval towns that maintained anarchy. Many people throughout the Americas maintained similarly autonomous communities. Are you going to argue that those communities weren't civilized?

And when I talk about community, I talk about real community, not a bunch of $#@!s living within close proximity to each other.

I think there is much evidence to extrapolate of a future with more localized communities that aren't controlled by states. Technology is the main reason. Technology makes it way easier to localize because of better efficiency and communications, and that is something that is new to our generation that hasn't existed before. Remember, nothing is constant except change itself. You just have to be ready to seize opportunities.
    You're like the coolest kid I've ever known. I wish I was as smart as you at that age.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Codename Section For This Useful Post:

Guerilla (10-30-2014)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Animal Mother's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,471x in 1,621 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codename Section View Post
    You're like the coolest kid I've ever known. I wish I was as smart as you at that age.
    You only say that because he mentioned sasquatch.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Animal Mother For This Useful Post:

del (10-30-2014),Gunny (11-01-2014),Peter1469 (11-01-2014)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Gunny's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 657x in 441 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate all the word, but there is no difference between a nation and a state.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,517x in 94,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Appreciate all the word, but there is no difference between a nation and a state.
    Technically there is, although that has disappeared in common usage.

A nation is a people with a shared culture and language. A state is a legal entity with borders on a map. Iraq as a state without a nation. Kurdistan is a nation without a state.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after reading about the sasquatch milita, I'm ready to join! Do they need support troops? I'm used to cooking/feeding lots of hungry critters! I'm NOT cleaning litter boxes!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-01-2014)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    British Columbia is independent enough and self-sustaining enough that is could in theory separate from the rest of Canada. They don't rely on equalization payments, for example.

+ Reply to Thread