User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is atheism so poorly represented in American politics?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDog View Post
    Apparently, you have misinterpreted that G-Dog is a religious looney. G-Dog is not religious, since he has rejected the ancient superstitions as only legend and myth, rather than relevant fact. Nor is G-Dog a looney, proved by the fact that he voted for Obama. If G-dog had voted for Romney, however, then of course Mister D would be correct, and G-Dog could be called a religious looney.

But GrumpyDog, being a rational dog, was able to distinguish between Romneysian Fundamentalism and Obamaian Secularism, and voted for Obama after logical deduction proved the latter was more practical
    The poor religious looney has Tourette's All I asked was how his heaven on Earth was working out.
    Last edited by Mister D; 11-10-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 185x in 118 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    If it wasn't for politics totalitarians wouldn't have murdered millions of people. Period. Are we competing for most inane post of the year?
    Religion is not politics. Politics itself isn't a belief, politics is the activities associated with the governance of somewhere. Religion can craft the way someone thinks about EVERYTHING.
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    GrumpyDog's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 210x in 170 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The poor dog has Tourette's
    So it is confirmed by your response, that your myopia is so bad as to prevent you from being able to read.

Hope this clears up for everyone else, why the disconnect with Mister D. It is not MDs fault, it is simply a matter of him being blind in one eye with other eye not able to focus.
    Last edited by GrumpyDog; 11-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    But their likely would be no human race without religion.....
    Facepalm. Oh please, don't be one of THOSE people. I hope you're being funny. If not, it means that you're one of those people who thinks religion is SO important that life without it would mean people would have no morals. Well, if that's what you think, I have a 2 minute video for you by Pat Condell:

If that's not what you were saying, and you WERE being sarcastic, I apologize.
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
    Religion is not politics. Politics itself isn't a belief, politics is the activities associated with the governance of somewhere. Religion can craft the way someone thinks about EVERYTHING.
    Politics necessarily entails belief. Virtually all human activity does.

So can politics. That's so obviously true I'm not sure why it would need to be said.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Politics necessarily entails belief. Virtually all human activity does.

So can politics. That's so obviously true I'm not sure why it would need to be said.
    Ok, fair enough. Politics can be backed up by anything and can radically change, religion can only be backed up by religious books and is locked down--it takes people denying parts of their religion in order to change. Also, one's religious beliefs can SERIOUSLY affect their political *beliefs*. Politics is not the root of someone wanting halal meat, religion IS. Politics is not the root of someone thinking women should be covered from head to toe, religion IS.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, fair enough. Politics can be backed up by anything and can radically change, religion can only be backed up by religious books and is locked down--it takes people denying parts of their religion in order to change. Also, one's religious beliefs can SERIOUSLY affect their political *beliefs*. Politics is not the root of someone wanting halal meat, religion IS. Politics is not the root of someone thinking women should be covered from head to toe, religion IS.
    Politics is ultimately "backed up" by our convictions about what ought to be and a political ideology is just as dogmatic as a religion. Frankly, I think modern politics for many had become a substitute religion performing essentially the same functions.

Your examples sound pretty tame when you consider that politics was/is the root of murderous desire (i.e. the elimination of whole groups of people be they class or racial enemies).

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Politics is ultimately "backed up" by our convictions about what ought to be and a political ideology is just as dogmatic as a religion. Frankly, I think modern politics for many had become a substitute religion performing essentially the same functions.

Your examples sound pretty tame when you consider that politics was/is the root of murderous desire (i.e. the elimination of whole groups of people be they class or racial enemies).
    Politics CAN be nasty, there's no doubt, but there's no way to stop people from having political beliefs--and their beliefs can change on an individual issue basis. One can base their politics only on things that are rational and logical if they choose--you can't do that with religion. If you believe, there's a bunch of dogma that goes with it. If you don't believe, things are a lot more open. Sure, politics can have dogma, but it's not required.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,126x in 94,147 Posts
    Mentioned
    2547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facepalm. Oh please, don't be one of THOSE people. I hope you're being funny. If not, it means that you're one of those people who thinks religion is SO important that life without it would mean people would have no morals. Well, if that's what you think, I have a 2 minute video for you by Pat Condell:

If that's not what you were saying, and you WERE being sarcastic, I apologize.
    Atheists typically borrow their moral codes from one or more of the religious codes.

Religion is in the genes of humans so to speak.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Politics CAN be nasty, there's no doubt, but there's no way to stop people from having political beliefs--and their beliefs can change on an individual issue basis. One can base their politics only on things that are rational and logical if they choose--you can't do that with religion. If you believe, there's a bunch of dogma that goes with it. If you don't believe, things are a lot more open. Sure, politics can have dogma, but it's not required.
    Sure you can. My faith is both rational and logical. It also makes my beliefs in human equality and human dignity logically consistent rather than merely pragmatic as in your case.

Yet you invariably find dogma present in spades. Why is that?

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread