User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is atheism so poorly represented in American politics?

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 185x in 118 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I'm 3 hours ahead of you so it was late here when I left.

You have yet to demonstrate why my faith is neither rational or logical. Kizzume done said so doesn't carry much weight.

now we're talking about cosmology again? You're all over the place. Religion does not seek to answer the how but the why. Religion is about meaning. Science is not.

It's easy. Superstitions (a term none of you use properly) are inherently irrational. They are irrational by definition. Let's say I avoid orange cats because I'm convinced some harm will come to me if I come near one. That's not rational. It is behavior marked by the absence of reason. The early Church in fact had a long battle against superstition.

There is certainly something rational about you believing in a higher power among much else. How does one make sense of his world and his place in it? You're alive! You perceive incredible complexity around you. Reason demands answers to those great questions of life. Do you really suppose the great thinkers throughout the ages were irrational for seeking answers? These are the essential questions of being.

The problem is that you are bitter about the fact that some religious do not accept your sexuality. Ironically, instead of taking a real stand against them you've allowed them destroy you. You would deny your own humanity.
    You honestly think that believing in a heaven/hell thing where some sky god is watching and judging everything you do ISN'T superstition? Seriously? You need to take a look at your religion from outside the perspective of your religion.

EDIT: "Oops, I better not do that, God might not approve". That is superstition, period.
    Last edited by Kizzume; 11-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why strive for what you do not believe? Or if you do believe it what is it based on? I don't find equality stupid. I'm just curious what you base your belief on.
    "Why aim high?" is what you're basically asking. I see nothing wrong with aiming high, I see nothing wrong with having a "the sky's the limit" mindset.
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,299x in 4,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
    You honestly think that believing in a heaven/hell thing where some sky god is watching and judging everything you do ISN'T superstition? Seriously? You need to take a look at your religion from outside the perspective of your religion, which you've proven you're unable to do.
    Why do you keep attacking him?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    Why do you keep attacking him?
    I'm not. He's trying to claim that his religion isn't a superstition, and I'm saying that IT IS. To believe in some sky god judging everything you do is superstition.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You honestly think that believing in a heaven/hell thing where some sky god is watching and judging everything you do ISN'T superstition? Seriously? You need to take a look at your religion from outside the perspective of your religion, which you've proven you're unable to do.

EDIT: "Oops, I better not do that, God might not approve". That is superstition, period.
    I would imagine that virtually any religion (or culture, political system etc. for that matter) will look strange to an outsider. What is that supposed to mean to me? That's it's wrong because an outsider thinks it's strange? I think sleeping with another dude is pretty strange along with many aspects of homosexual subculture. Are you a weirdo?

RE your edit: Who thinks that way? This is more Sunday school theology. I try and behave morally because I believe that there is a God and that is what he made us to be.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not. He's trying to claim that his religion isn't a superstition, and I'm saying that IT IS. To believe in some sky god judging everything you do is superstition.
    What's a sky God? You don't understand what a superstition is.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Why aim high?" is what you're basically asking. I see nothing wrong with aiming high, I see nothing wrong with having a "the sky's the limit" mindset.
    no. Again...

Why strive for what you do not believe? Or if you do believe it what is it based on? I don't find equality stupid. I'm just curious what you base your belief on.What exactly?

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine that virtually any religion (or culture, political system etc. for that matter) will look strange to an outsider. What is that supposed to mean to me? That's it's wrong because an outsider thinks it's strange? I think sleeping with another dude is pretty strange along with many aspects of homosexual subculture. Are you a weirdo?

RE your edit: Who thinks that way? This is more Sunday school theology. I try and behave morally because I believe that there is a God and that is what he made us to be.
    Are you saying that you DON'T believe there is a God watching and judging everything you do, that there's no heaven or hell? If so, I'm very curious as to what you believe.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no. Again...

Why strive for what you do not believe? Or if you do believe it what is it based on? I don't find equality stupid. I'm just curious what you base your belief on.What exactly?
    My idea is based on the concept that the world can be made a better place.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that you DON'T believe there is a God watching and judging everything you do, that there's no heaven or hell? If so, I'm very curious as to what you believe.
    I believe that there is a God and that I will ultimately reap what I sow both now and after death. The concept of hell have been depicted in many ways. I consider hell as distance from God or perhaps death.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread