User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 463

Thread: Why is atheism so poorly represented in American politics?

  1. #271
    Original Ranter
    Points: 275,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    112116
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57,013
    Points
    275,349
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    9,885
    Thanked 13,987x in 10,475 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1183
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
    There is no perfect equality, and anyone who claims there is is indeed like a religious person believing in fairy tales. Fortunately virtually nobody believes that, so your point is moot.

    And progress is something that happens, to act like it doesn't is to ignore reality.
    Equality, like progress, is a fairy tale concept. no need to qualify it as "perfect" or what have you. It's simply nonsense outside a religious/metaphysical perspective. Of course that's precisely what you have. You just don't know it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  2. #272
    Original Ranter
    Points: 275,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    112116
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57,013
    Points
    275,349
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    9,885
    Thanked 13,987x in 10,475 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1183
    Quote Originally Posted by Awryly View Post
    People organised by fairytales have a clear record of doing it most often.This will infuriate evangelists, Catholics, Mormons and Tom Cruise, but I do not distinguish between them and communists or national socialists.

    The only difference is their armaments.
    Old lady, you infuriate precisely no one. You're just not smart enough.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  3. #273
    Points: 4,164, Level: 15
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1074
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    768
    Points
    4,164
    Level
    15
    Thanks Given
    205
    Thanked 184x in 117 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Equality, like progress, is a fairy tale concept. no need to qualify it as "perfect" or what have you. It's simply nonsense outside a religious/metaphysical perspective. Of course that's precisely what you have. You just don't know it.
    Equality is a goal. A goal that can never be completely met, but it's a goal nevertheless. We should never stop striving for equality.
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

  4. #274
    Original Ranter
    Points: 275,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    112116
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57,013
    Points
    275,349
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    9,885
    Thanked 13,987x in 10,475 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1183
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
    Equality is a goal. A goal that can never be completely met, but it's a goal nevertheless. We should never stop striving for equality.
    You have a goal you admit you can't possibly achieve and you mock the religious.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  5. #275
    Points: 4,164, Level: 15
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1074
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    768
    Points
    4,164
    Level
    15
    Thanks Given
    205
    Thanked 184x in 117 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    You have a goal you admit you can't possibly achieve and you mock the religious.
    There are lots of things that we strive for that can't fully happen. When someone writes a song, they want it to be their best song, but is it? Should they not write the song because of it?

    Imagine how pathetic the world would be if people never strived for goals that may not be able to be met. There sure wouldn't be many athletes, there sure would be many mountain climbers, there sure wouldn't be a lot of things.

    Having a goal that's too much to completely meet is NOT the same thing as believing in a fairy tale. I'm not trying to limit people's rights based on my feelings about equality. I don't shun scientific evidence because of a goal. I don't tell people that they're horrible people because of a goal. Religion on the other hand....
    Last edited by Kizzume; 11-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

  6. #276
    tPF Moderator
    V.I.P
    Points: 291,360, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Chris's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    74961
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73,678
    Points
    291,360
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    6,016
    Thanked 16,456x in 12,497 Posts
    Mentioned
    916 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    826
    Is leveling society to the lowest common denominator for equality satisfactory? Seems to me many progressives think so.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (11-10-2012)

  8. #277
    Points: 4,164, Level: 15
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1074
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    768
    Points
    4,164
    Level
    15
    Thanks Given
    205
    Thanked 184x in 117 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Is leveling society to the lowest common denominator for equality satisfactory? Seems to me many progressives think so.
    Explain what you mean. Where are we trying to level society to the lowest common denominator?
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

  9. #278
    Original Ranter
    Points: 275,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    112116
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57,013
    Points
    275,349
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    9,885
    Thanked 13,987x in 10,475 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1183
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
    There are lots of things that we strive for that can't fully happen. When someone writes a song, they want it to be their best song, but is it? Should they not write the song because of it?

    I mock the religious for believing in fairy tales and treating other people like crap because of those fairy tales. I'm not trying to limit people's rights based on my feelings about equality.
    Why strive for what you admit you cannot bring about? Your analogy makes no sense because the writer would not desire it to be his best song if he knew that was not possible. Is our writer insane?

    You mock the religious while embracing the manifestly irrational?

    You're gay. You hate religious people because you're gay. Learn to accept yourself.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  10. #279
    tPF Moderator
    V.I.P
    Points: 291,360, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Chris's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    74961
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73,678
    Points
    291,360
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    6,016
    Thanked 16,456x in 12,497 Posts
    Mentioned
    916 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzume View Post
    Explain what you mean. Where are we trying to level society to the lowest common denominator?
    Let's say you succeed politically through central planning in redistributing wealth so each person in the world has the same. Because politics is win-lose, taking from some to give to others, you have taken wealth from those capable of generating it. You have thus leveled everything. Then what?

  11. #280
    Points: 4,164, Level: 15
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registered
    Kizzume's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1074
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    768
    Points
    4,164
    Level
    15
    Thanks Given
    205
    Thanked 184x in 117 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Why strive for what you admit you cannot bring about? Your analogy makes no sense because the writer would not desire it to be his best song if he knew that was not possible. Is our writer insane?

    You mock the religious while embracing the manifestly irrational?

    You're gay. You hate religious people because you're gay. Learn to accept yourself.
    That sure took you a while to respond, the message had been edited quite a bit since you responded. I'll just repeat myself:

    Imagine how pathetic the world would be if people never strived for goals that may not be able to be met. There sure wouldn't be many athletes, there sure would be many mountain climbers, there sure wouldn't be a lot of things.

    Having a goal that's too much to completely meet is NOT the same thing as believing in a fairy tale. I'm not trying to limit people's rights based on my feelings about equality. I don't shun scientific evidence because of a goal. I don't tell people that they're horrible people because of a goal. Religion on the other hand....
    Sorry--but I do not accept the idea that being intolerant of intolerance is THE SAME THING as being intolerant of anything else.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO