Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    I have never said having a generator is nutty.
    You've also never explained your comment as requested. So what was your problem with my statement?
    You bolded this part: "I have a bugout bag....er, "camping equipment", guns, ammo, but also water jugs, a 9000W generator with gas cans that I restock regularly, etc."

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    what was that you said about preppers sitting in their basements polishing their helmets and their guns? LOL
    So if you are not snarking about the generator was it about having a few gas cans? Water? Guns and ammo?

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    rembrant's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 207x in 177 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I've heard a lot of people, mostly Democrats, use the term "preppers" derisively, as if being a prepper was something one should be ashamed or afraid of. My understanding of "preppers" is that they are people who prepare themselves and their families for catastrophe, apocalypse, whatever you want to call it. To me, that doesn't sound like a bad thing, it sounds like a prudent and logical thing to do.

Maybe someone can explain this to me.
    When it IS prudent and logical... I'm for it.. could say I was a "prepper" befor it got to be a paranoid cult fad. I lived in the WOODS. We could lose electricity for days. I had to be able to fix the car, to deal with a one lane road,have kerosene and lamps, have groceries for a couple weeks...etc.

I DO see a lot of PREPPER being Chicken Little Paranoid excess. I see paranoid sociopaths MUCH to eager to have cihyt crazies who imagine some total breakdown of Civilization...just because?

When the Depression hit.. Grampa had an Ag degree from Ohio St, a good paid for 160 acre farm. They were not USED to cars, trucks, elctricity. They had horses, cows, pigs, chickens, a woods for heat, a well,a pond, a couple of creeks.

They NORMALLY home canned food. They did not need to SHOP much..did not need much cash. They PREPPERED way beyond most of the dingpats....because that was NORMAL LIFE. There were no Hordes of City Folk out in the country..looting. Farmers know their turf. A guy who knows the turf..has just a 30-30 deer rifle..is well able to defend it agaist a few thieves...and i think that notion crossed the mind of the thieves. There were not thugs trying to steal 4 bushels of field corn and a 300lb Sow. They...robbed BANKS because,as Willie Sutton said..." That's where the MONEY is"

Good tips? Live in the COUNTRY, the Woods...and KNOW HOW
    Know the neighbors. Be able to be a TEAM.
    Do NOT flaunt stuff. If some grand disaster comes.. NOT the time so show off the Roxex/Mercedes/etc

The WHOLE of Civilization..the Economy...will NOT fail and collapse overnight. an ECONOMY..is too USEFUL.. you don't give up on it. Likewoise CIVILIZATION... we built that over a few THOUSAND years.

Mega Catastrophe? Well...stuff that wipes out damn near 3/4 of humanity.... that ain't solved by a 6 month supply of "prepper" foods and a few guns. Likely... nothing like that seems due in the next few DECADES.

I HAVE lived in the boonies.. totally off the grid. I liked the scenery..and the cheap rent. I chuckle at those living in a city Apartment thinking they can do some "bug Out" prepper thing. They are usually delusional.

+ Reply to Thread