Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,887x in 4,879 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    I bought my own sex toys in college!!
    They will soon be free for your granddaughter under ObamaCare.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem View Post
    I bought my own sex toys in college!!
    Hell I was a sex toy in college!
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I was a sex toy in college.
    Dmnit! Got treed!
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (11-28-2014)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,645
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we can get the number up to 2 in 5 by 2016 this president will have his economic plan completely in place as designed.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 907
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dark Mistress's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,494x in 985 Posts
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I don't know how most "kids" make it through college these days. I had scholarships and didn't pay for any if my school ing and also qualified for pell grants. I saved everything I earned from age 12 when I started babysitting and held a job every summer after that. I went to college with a nice savings and that was how I paid for groc and living expenses.

Now, I talked cthulhu into going to school about 5 years ago and we have gone to school off and on during that time. Still not done. We still have at least 5 more semesters to go and he had to quit school for money purposes.

What I am trying to say is that school is outrageously expensive for an average young adult and even for us adults. Everything from tuition to housing to groceries to books to transportation and parking permits and lab fees to etc. It all co.es with a price tag and what kind of jobs do college students get- minimum wage jobs or if they are lucky ten more an hour. Fuel is expensive to get to a job as is a vehicle or means of transportation to arrive there.

Food stamps is a program that is used and abused. Our welfare system as a whole should be revamped or done away with. But the problem is not college students not getting jobs and living off of welfare. It is the cost of living. The cost of college. I know a family of 7 who got their degree in teaching and ended up with 60k of student loan debt. How do you pay that off on a teachers salary? Most people don't get through college by getting a job although many students have one. They get through college by taking out student loans.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Mistress For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-28-2014),PolWatch (11-28-2014)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we need to change how we look at education. It should not be a luxury limited to those who can afford it...it's an investment in the future of this nation. I think the cost of education should be viewed the same as the cost of our infrastructure. It IS the basis of the future. I know of 2 states that use the money generated by their state lotteries to pay for college for residents who keep a required grade average. Programs like that make sense to me.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 907
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dark Mistress's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,494x in 985 Posts
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    I think we need to change how we look at education. It should not be a luxury limited to those who can afford it...it's an investment in the future of this nation. I think the cost of education should be viewed the same as the cost of our infrastructure. It IS the basis of the future. I know of 2 states that use the money generated by their state lotteries to pay for college for residents who keep a required grade average. Programs like that make sense to me.
    We have programs like that at our University. It's a tuition assistance program. We also have another scholarship program that is solely income dependent. We usually get a chunk of that but so many students apply for it anymore they are giving out less and less.

The minimum GPA require to get the tuition assitance is like a 3.75. I think Cthulhu had that his first semester. Not anymore. He won't ever qualify for tuition assistance. Maybe if he was majoring in something different. I have a 3.9, but have not taken classes for so long I am scared that if I do it will lower my GPA.

A college degree should not cost what it does. Our school costs about 6 grand a year for just tuition-that's ridiculously low and cheap, BUT if you work for minimum wage at 40 hours a week you might be able to go to school part time if your course load requires lots of studying because in the end you do have to get a leetle bit of sleep. I work part time (20-30) hours my second semester and got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep everynight because I had to come home and study after work 1am til say 3-4 am (which was NOT enough time for the classes I was taking) and then get to 7am class.

Other schools cost 6 grand a semester. We could never get through school that way. Our Chiro schools costs between 8-10 grand a semester times 4 years= lots of student loan debt when we finally get to that point. Factor in a place to live, groc, clothes, utilities... we are talking at least 200k of student loan debt, but probably more. Chiropractors don't make loads of money. You can make up to the 6 figure range depending on where you live and practice, but I have to factor in a lower income range because we want to live rural and practice rural and bigger city. I won't work and put my kids in daycare. I could work nights, but then I would have to get some sleep and being as I home school my children that's largely impossible. I won't put my kids back in the system. They are faring too well at home for me to justify that. My husband would have to die first. This is why we are considering the Army Reserve. If he could stay in and give his weekend a month we would at least get some tuition assistance as long as we were in, but the concern is a deployment in the midst of school and throwing off and ruining the dream of becoming a chiropractor... Decisions, decisions. Some benefits would be nice too...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Mistress For This Useful Post:

PolWatch (11-28-2014)

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ace's n 8's's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 183x in 154 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exotix View Post
    I thought the OP might show how conservatives held the Farm Bill hostage until they created more poverty & misery by slashing food stamps ... instead we get another lamebrain-hack thread blaming Obama.
    Here's a thought,, create jobs, not entitlements,, and YES,, WE can blame Obama for that.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,416
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TrueBlue's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,957x in 1,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrook View Post
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/cnsn...ng-food-stamps

I suppose we should be thankful we elected a President who would bring hope and change to America.
    For those who qualify for food-stamps, we should be Very Thankful that we elected a President who KEEPS food-stamps in the government for needy American people because had we elected a Republican President they would have more than likely WIPED food-stamps away and then people would not even be able to celebrate Thanksgiving at all.
    Let's see how much care and compassion Trump and Republicans show for their fellow Americans to truly help them out in their time of need.

Let's start the count to see if Trump comes through on the many things he promised to do for Americans. If he doesn't, along with a Republican Congress, then what's his and their excuse?

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ace's n 8's's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 183x in 154 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    For those who qualify for food-stamps, we should be Very Thankful that we elected a President who KEEPS food-stamps in the government for needy American people because had we elected a Republican President they would have more than likely WIPED food-stamps away and then people would not even be able to celebrate Thanksgiving at all.
    Working might keep some off of food stamps.

+ Reply to Thread