User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Poor little Rand can't run for senate seat & for POTUS at same time

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo-4 View Post
    Clearly you need further edification. Until you can disprove any of this, well.. you know ;-)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-z...b_4136722.html
    Disprove what, bo? Tell me what proof your link contains. Put it in syllogistic form, since you're talking proof.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    Banking in Europe arose from guild smiths. We're not talking currency, but banking.

I could go back farther but then I'd have to discuss Jewish issues and that always ends in an antisemitic discussion I don't feel like having right now.

There were governments, but they were loose affiliations until around the later medieval period. Before that lords were likely to tell kings to $#@! off and tribes/villages ran themselves. The war machine made it hard to say no, and made enforcing easier. Kings were only as strong as what they could tax and the tax wagons were often looted.

Being able to take loans enabled them to buy more enforcers.

Start a thread on banking and I'll go into how that benefited banks, as well.

This is turning into a non-Rand thread, atm, and Bo wanted to $#@! about Rand.

The banks were as small as the governments you're talking about. Loans required interest, a recent policy approved by government. I don't disagree that banking benefits banks, I just don't see it possible without the collusion of government.

OK, back to bo's rant about Rand....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The banks were as small as the governments you're talking about. Loans required interest, a recent policy approved by government. I don't disagree that banking benefits banks, I just don't see it possible without the collusion of government.

OK, back to bo's rant about Rand....
    Back then the loans were not required or approved by government. The guilds colluded.
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So back to Rand.

What's bo's beef, anyhow. It's like his beef against Coburn, bo finds something in the liberal media that distorts what Coburn said and did, and no matter the actual evidence, bo just keeps repeating the accusation till it becomes a troll. Same thing here with Rand, there's nothing specific, just Rand can't run for both offices, from that just character assassination.

Bo, there are specific things I disagree with Rand about. One, for example, was back a couple months with ISIS, his turn to interventionism. Granted, unlike Obama who wanted to take it into his hands, Rand insisted on going to Congress for a vote on whether to intervene. He has as well been far to pro-Israel as an interventionist would be.

See how that's done, you find something to argue about. There will be those who agree and disagree but the topic is interventionism primarily and only secondarily Ran's position.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    Back then the loans were not required or approved by government. The guilds colluded.
    OK, another time, let's get back to Bo's BS.

+ Reply to Thread