Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    Separate but equal was anything but equal. The black students of my day received the old, torn up, out of date books...usually not enough for every student to get a copy. It was not unusual for several children to share one book. Did they do this themselves? Do you think they had the same chance that the white students of the time got? I walked past a black school everyday. It was little better than a shack.

Affirmative Action was not saying they were not capable, it was saying we didn't provide equal opportunity to compete. AA was designed to help overcome the inequities WE created.
    There are studies proving if you give them a new school and new books and quality teachers, they still flunk and refuse to go to the white man's school. Exceptions are there, but not many.

http://acri.org/

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    Given that I was in a communisty country and wasn't born until the 80's I didn't really have anything to do with it or my family, but I still acknowledge that the income disparity creates unequal opportunity.

It would be nice if poor white kids also had a leg up, but I wouldn't deny any kid that chance if they can get it.
    My last child was born in the 1980s.

They tell you ... you are as young as you feel. Well, I really must walk a lot more. Then I will feel better.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Redrose's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,463x in 4,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    Separate but equal was anything but equal. The black students of my day received the old, torn up, out of date books...usually not enough for every student to get a copy. It was not unusual for several children to share one book. Did they do this themselves? Do you think they had the same chance that the white students of the time got? I walked past a black school everyday. It was little better than a shack.

Affirmative Action was not saying they were not capable, it was saying we didn't provide equal opportunity to compete. AA was designed to help overcome the inequities WE created.

It wasn't quite that bad in NY as far as I could see, and was in the inner city. I'll use Dr. Carson as an example. He is brilliant, smarter than a slew of White folks I'm sure. He was in an inner city, crappy schools, single parent home, no money and was becoming a delinquent. He mom read him the riot act and made sure he studied. He and his brother did very well. I believe his brother is an engineer.
    Even children in poor settings can be successful.

Years ago when my husband was doing backgrounds for a sheriff's office for potential candidates, he would get their handwritten applications. They want handwritten ones to check their writting skills. Police have to write reports. Some were totally illiterate with English skills. They were not hired.

If you take a test and not do well, maybe you shouldn't be in that job regardless of your color.

People, especially on this site, complain about dumb cops. I agree. If you can't make the grade, you don't get the job. We shouldn't lower the standards to get certain people hired. I don't want a cop out there who is intelligence challenged. I want the best they can find.

The answer is not AA, it's better education systems for everyone. Better teachers, better pay. Better control in our classrooms.

Now Al wants AA in the Oscars. Dumb. They need to be selected on merit.

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the rate of male and female blacks dropping out at a college.

Nobody can accuse the colleges of poor books or facilities or poor teachers.

http://www.jbhe.com/features/50_blac...gradrates.html

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
    It wasn't quite that bad in NY as far as I could see, and was in the inner city. I'll use Dr. Carson as an example. He is brilliant, smarter than a slew of White folks I'm sure. He was in an inner city, crappy schools, single parent home, no money and was becoming a delinquent. He mom read him the riot act and made sure he studied. He and his brother did very well. I believe his brother is an engineer.

Years ago when my husband was doing backgrounds for a sheriff's office for potential candidates, he would get their handwritten applications. They want handwritten ones to check their writting skills. Police have to write reports. Some were totally illiterate with English skills. They were not hired.

If you take a test and not do well, maybe you shouldn't be in that job regardless of your color.

People, especially on this site, complain about dumb cops. I agree. If you can't make the grade, you don't get the job. We shouldn't lower the standards to get certain people hired. I don't want a cop out there who is intelligence challenged. I want the best they can find.

The answer is not AA, it's better education systems for everyone. Better teachers, better pay. Better control in our classrooms.

Going to a white school in Ca, I estimate there were perhaps 30-40 blacks. So widely scattered I could go days and never see a black. I can't recall a class I took with a black in it.

My point is they had a unique high school. The school looked like a university. It was a proud campus. The school won a national award as being number 2 most beautiful campus in the nation.

The teachers were wonderful. I was the problem since to me a C grade was Cool so long as it was not in my pet classes. Call me lazy.

Blacks did not perform well at the school that I ever heard about. Maybe they did but I never heard. I recall one black that played on the JV football team with me and that dude was dumb. He could not remember any of the plays. We had to give him instant instructions. Once he took off with the football, he was pretty good. But he forgot the play he had just run.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,652
    Achievements:
    del's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,872x in 12,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrose View Post

strangely, i'll use carson as an example too.

he got into college via affirmative action, and he paid for it with pell grants and federal guaranteed loans.

then he got into med school via affirmative action, and that was paid for by a grant from usphs

of course, he would have died from exposure if the evil govt hadn't provided public housing to his family, and he would have starved if the ever more evil govt hadn't provided food stamps.

i'm sure he's smarter than a slew of white folks, and he wouldn't be $#@! without the govt's help and affirmative action.

you're welcome, benjy, try not to be such a hypocrite, m'kay?

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,986
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Alyosha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,074x in 8,482 Posts
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay I have to say something else. I lived with gun shots all around me in Detroit. When vets come back with PTSD we have a helluva lot of sympathy for them--rightfully so. These kids in the inner city go through that same trauma but they're $#@!s if they can't overcome it and be business leaders.
    And if we should die tonight
    Then we should all die together
    Raise a glass of wine for the last time
    Calling out father, prepare as we will
    Watch the flames burn auburn on the mountain side
    Desolation comes upon the sky..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alyosha For This Useful Post:

del (01-30-2015),Safety (01-30-2015)

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,690
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mac-7's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,887x in 4,879 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

he got into college via affirmative action, and he paid for it with pell grants and federal guaranteed loans.

then he got into med school via affirmative action, and that was paid for by a grant from usphs

of course, he would have died from exposure if the evil govt hadn't provided public housing to his family, and he would have starved if the ever more evil govt hadn't provided food stamps.

i'm sure he's smarter than a slew of white folks, and he wouldn't be $#@! without the govt's help and affirmative action.

Why did Carson need aa?

were his grades that bad?

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

That is not Carson's story.

But this is.

http://www.biography.com/people/ben-...2#anger-issues

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,652
    Achievements:
    del's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,872x in 12,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    That is not Carson's story.

But this is.

http://www.biography.com/people/ben-...2#anger-issues
    are you denying that he was a beneficiary of the programs listed?

every time you lie, bobby, the baby jesus kills a shark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to del For This Useful Post:

Safety (01-30-2015)

+ Reply to Thread