User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Say No to Internet Censorship"

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,900x in 54,717 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    To be honest, I have a hard time taking this stuff seriously for a small reason, I only am remotely aware of this stuff because of tPF. Outside tPF, this stuff isn't even a pixel blip on my radar. I'm by far a disconnected guy in this respect too.

I say that because I'm beyond the average interested consumer in this respect and if it's not on my radar, it's not on the average consumer's radar.

You never miss the water till the well runs dry.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrixWitch View Post
    Do you believe that the government has jailed these Russian hackers because they care about cyber crimes? No, they do not. The Russian mind is more attuned to technology and they are jailed on plea deals so that they can learn how to infiltrate these dark networks.

There really is no place to hide in technology that they cannot find you.
    That may have credence, but you can jack out and log off.

Hell, if you write a snail mail letter with innuendos - in cursive, it is probably the equivalent of 256 bit encryption. They can read my emails, but are they really going to track down my mail and try and figure out what the hell I'm talking about?

Doubtful.

Few use or can read cursive now days.

Low tech and higher tech defeats high tech. Low tech is way cheaper though. But is often hard to cultivate.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    There is more awareness among younger generations, but there may come a time where you find some of this software useful for one reason or another, so just keep it in the back of your head.
    I get the age gap too, I really do. And I'm not that old, but I'm skeptical that the younger generations are just a little gullible like past younger generations.

I do keep this stuff in the back of my head too, trust me on that. I'm not discrediting the concept at all.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Granny says, "Dat's right - dem Russkies an' Chinamen wanna take over the interweb...

Russian Censorship Group Seeks Chinese Help to Control Internet
    April 29, 2016 — Russian authorities are seeking greater control of information on the internet, with some who favor tighter restrictions looking to China.
    Russia's Safe Internet League, an influential lobby, hosted a first-ever forum Wednesday in Moscow with China's top internet censors, including Fang Binxing, known as the "Father of the Great Firewall of China." Comments from speakers at the event underscored the desire for authorities to further limit and control information online. Fang lectured on “cyber sovereignty,” arguing that countries’ borders apply to the online world as well and foreign “interference” should not be tolerated.

A user of Russia’s leading social network internet site VKontakte, poses holding an iPhone showing the account page of Pavel Durov, the former CEO and founder of VKontakte, in Red Square in Moscow, Russia

China’s cybersecurity and internet policy chief Lu Wei said that online freedom was not a right but a responsibility to be kept in check lest it lead to terrorism, according to a tweet from a Financial Times reporter. Lu echoed Kremlin rhetoric, saying Western media were waging an “information war” against their countries. Both Chinese and Russian speakers lamented American companies’ dominance of the internet. Konstantin Malofeev, who is chairman of the Safe Internet League and is linked to both the Kremlin and the Russia-backed rebels in eastern Ukraine, said Russia should learn from China’s internet censorship practices and assert its sovereignty online.

Struggle for control

Russian internet experts said the forum’s timing and high-profile guests demonstrated an urgency in the Kremlin's struggle to control information ahead of parliamentary elections later this year and presidential elections in 2018. “I think this reflects their level of desperation inside of the Kremlin,” said Andrei Soldatov, co-author of "The Red Web: The Struggle Between Russia's Digital Dictators and the New Online Revolutionaries," who spoke to VOA via Skype. “They have these coming elections. And, it seems they need desperately to find some sort of solution to be absolutely sure that they can control the internet before the elections.”

A protester holds a flyer reading "We need Dozhd" during a rally in support of the independent television station Dozhd (TV Rain), in Moscow

Russian authorities increased scrutiny of online social media after they proved key to organizing mass 2011-2012 anti-Kremlin protests. “They thought if you control the television stations, I mean, like the major TV stations, then you’re good. Then you control the public opinion,” independent TV Rain’s digital media chief Ilya Klishin said to VOA. “At that point they found out that even internet news websites and people on the Facebook and Twitter can actually organize 100,000 [-person] rallies [in] downtown Moscow.” The movement against the Kremlin, sparked by allegations of election-rigging, petered out as arrests and intimidation fractured the opposition. A crackdown on media ensued.

Heavy fines and jail time have been introduced for anyone posting online comments deemed extremism, an incitement to hatred or an insult to revered groups such as Orthodox Christians. Prominent bloggers have been forced to register their real names. Anton Nosik is a Moscow-based blogger and Russian internet pioneer who, just a day before the forum, was charged with extremism and inciting hatred for posts he made about bombing Syria and comparing President Bashar al-Assad’s government to Nazi Germany. He faces a fine of thousands of dollars and up to four years in prison if found guilty.

Perceived as enemy

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Doublejack's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,273x in 864 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this going to affect me getting naked pics from my wife when I'm on the road?

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But vote Hillary and say "yes" to the rape of our freedom.

Yeah sure...
    my junk is ugly

+ Reply to Thread