User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Giant 'dinosaur-looking' gator found on Florida golf course shocks natives

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Redrose's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,463x in 4,722 Posts
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I was trying to see the response. LOL Wait till you feel a huge quake. The New Madrid close to St. Louis is a whopper. Makes ours seem tame.

Thing here is the quakes come and then none for many many years. I should worry since they say I am next to feel a giant quake. I sure hope not.
    I've read about the New Madrid fault, and you are right it is worse than the San Andreas fault. We're about 600 miles east of it, and depending on the magnatude, we would have damage. I hope I don't live to see it.

One of my girls homes in Florida is going through sinkhole repair. She and her husband found a sinkhole under their house and pool. So, it's costing the insurance company $190,000 to fix it. They've been at her house 2 weeks, and plan to be there another month. I saw the pictures, what a mess.

Seems as if most areas have some sort of phenomenon to deal with.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,531x in 94,963 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I was walking across the national mall during it. I was annoyed that everyone freaked out.
    It took me 40 minutes to get out of my parking garage -after a 2 hour wait for engineers to say the building was safe to even get to my SUV.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, was there much damage in that area? If I remember correctly, it was around a 6.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
    I've read about the New Madrid fault, and you are right it is worse than the San Andreas fault. We're about 600 miles east of it, and depending on the magnatude, we would have damage. I hope I don't live to see it.

One of my girls homes in Florida is going through sinkhole repair. She and her husband found a sinkhole under their house and pool. So, it's costing the insurance company $190,000 to fix it. They've been at her house 2 weeks, and plan to be there another month. I saw the pictures, what a mess.

Seems as if most areas have some sort of phenomenon to deal with.
    You may be way overpaying for insurance.

You and your hubby ought to price what it costs to have bolts put into the house. Then the insurance company ought to almost give you insurance on quakes.

I priced a lot of insurance companies for clients. I used to advise using State Farm but changed to Farmers when they got reasonable fees on houses. I have never priced them in your part of the country. But it is easy to price a lot of them. Too many times people assume prices are very close. Then the deductible ought to be what you can easily afford, such as $1,000. As far as you are from the New Madrid, I doubt you get close to $14,000 damage provided your home has some bracing advised by an engineer. A few bucks and you can have a safer home and save on insurance. If you suffer $10,000 damage (for instance) and have the high deductible, why even bother paying premiums? It is a waste of money. Insure for you, not the insurance company. They love making a lot of money.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The insurance is only $80 semi-annually, a special rider. The deductible is based on the price of the house minus the land. We figured if we had an earthquake that caused massive damage, all we would pay is the $14,000. Damage under the deductible, we could handle.

Without it, our regular home insurance won't cover quakes. We have a $500 deductible on that.

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    iustitia's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,104x in 1,228 Posts
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinosaurs walk with their legs directly under their bodies, whereas crocodilians and other reptiles walk with legs extending from their sides.
    "Of all men's miseries the bitterest is this: to know so much and to have control over nothing." -Herodotus

"Nobody seems to care. That’s what the owners count on. The fact that Americans will probably remain willfully ignorant of the big red, white and blue dick that’s being jammed up their assholes every day, because the owners of this country know the truth. It’s called the American Dream, 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it. " -George Carlin

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iustitia View Post

Dinosaurs walk with their legs directly under their bodies, whereas crocodilians and other reptiles walk with legs extending from their sides.

Is that because crocodilians swim? Do all dinosaurs have their legs directly under their body?

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    iustitia's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,104x in 1,228 Posts
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinosaurs evolved with different hip structure which eventually allowed for upright walking. The most obvious are dinosaurs with bird-like hips such as theropods, two-legged dinosaurs which are the ancestors of birds. Theropods include tyrannosaurs, raptors and such.

"Of all men's miseries the bitterest is this: to know so much and to have control over nothing." -Herodotus

"Nobody seems to care. That’s what the owners count on. The fact that Americans will probably remain willfully ignorant of the big red, white and blue dick that’s being jammed up their assholes every day, because the owners of this country know the truth. It’s called the American Dream, 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it. " -George Carlin

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iustitia View Post
    Dinosaurs evolved with different hip structure which eventually allowed for upright walking. The most obvious are dinosaurs with bird-like hips such as theropods, two-legged dinosaurs which are the ancestors of birds. Theropods include tyrannosaurs, raptors and such.

All I know about dinosaurs I learned from my 8 year old grandson. He is fascinated with them. When his front teeth were missing, it was humorous listening to him pronounce the names of those creatures.
    He says he wants to be a paleontologist or a policeman like his grandpa.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
    The insurance is only $80 semi-annually, a special rider. The deductible is based on the price of the house minus the land. We figured if we had an earthquake that caused massive damage, all we would pay is the $14,000. Damage under the deductible, we could handle.

Without it, our regular home insurance won't cover quakes. We have a $500 deductible on that.
    Well, I realize $80 each 6 months is cheap which means the risk of you having a quake is super low. Here on a cheap house,they can expect to pay $100 per month. This tells me you could use the money on a good vacation and be better off. 600 miles from the New madrid means you are safe. very very safe. But it's your money.

I would survey how many in your area pay for such insurance trying to find out from the state?

+ Reply to Thread