Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonborn Herald View Post
    There is an all too common discussion or a rather heated argument that goes like this.

Christian: How do you feel about [subject x]
    Non Religious: Well I feel that [gives explanation]
    Christian: That's wrong, you should do what it says in the Bible.
    Non Religious: I disagree with what the Bible says.

Christian: I'll pray for you.

And, a lot of time people ask the question what are you praying for.

well, I'm about to give you the answer. No you did give the Answer, because you do not the Answer. You have no idea what people are praying about.

Because there are far too many Christians out there who think you have to be religious and that your opinion has to be the same as theirs because the Bible, God's word and law (and how the $#@! dare you disagree with my lord thy God). You are the one who does like people having a different opinion or belief other than yours, other wise why would you care, and make a statement like this. This is typical Liberal dribble.

But they realize that nothing they say will help that person change their mind and opinions and beliefs to match theirs, so they think their god will change it to what they think is the correct one. Why do you care what they think God will do?

Because far too many Christians out there do not actually believe in free will. I can't say about other religions but True Christianity is all about free will.
    Jesus said some will CHOOSE the narrow path to salvation Most will CHOOSE the broad path to destruction. Sounds like free will to me.

And free will allows you to make your own decisions and go your own way.

There is no real appreciable freedom in religion. Your wrong

None that I can see.

At all.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 698
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    TheDictator's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    There are more people walking around thinking they are Christians doing good than there are believers that actually are. From my perspective they are much like any group that has strong feelings about something or another but lack enough understanding of their own cause. And this seems to be prevalent with any group you look at. I used to get bent out of shape with this a lot more but have learned to let it go for my own sake.

As a believer myself I have learned that it is not at all prudent to ever stand in judgement of another person. This doesn't mean I never do. I just try my best not to. And I agree that telling someone you disagree with that "you will pray for them" is an act of condemnation rather than charity. But it is no more accurate to think of all believers as pious jerks than it is to think of all blacks as criminals.

You make a very good point

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Dragonborn Herald's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 126x in 85 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your use of the dishonest tactic of turnabout only reveals that you have absolutely nothing of substance and credibility to me.

And all you are doing is trolling.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure why someone disagreeing with you is trolling...

Anyways, I've never encountered anyone in real life who would say something like, "I'll pray for you" when they disagree with you. That would kind of be in the same ballpark as "bless your heart", would it not? Sentiments that are insincere and mostly condescending.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 698
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    TheDictator's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 87x in 71 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I'm not sure why someone disagreeing with you is trolling...

Anyways, I've never encountered anyone in real life who would say something like, "I'll pray for you" when they disagree with you. That would kind of be in the same ballpark as "bless your heart", would it not? Sentiments that are insincere and mostly condescending.

I can see how that could be seen as condescending, but I bet a lot times it was not meant to be.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Brett Nortje's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 195x in 179 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonborn Herald View Post
    Thank you.

The topic is why Christians say "I'll pray for you" when they have a disagreement with you and my persdonal opinion on why I think they do.

I offer my apologies for my insulting tone as well.
    In the written word, it is easy to see someone's tone, even though you cannot hear the 'waves.' as one word follows another, we have typical ways of talking we fall into, like accents for example, and, everyone that speaks english has this basic understanding of language structure, we change our understanding of the sentence.

Now, if the sentence was; i have had a great day, it is almost like a patronizing way to speak. i do not need you to agree with me, it comes down to syllables, like phonetics. i will explain now.

If you were to observe the way babies learn to speak, they say syllables at a time, like ooh or ah, and, then they join two syllables together, then three to make words, as do we. if we break the words we hear into syllables, we will hear, in the first case, iave ved edge grey ate day, yes? seeing as how people are paranoid, they will assume they are speaking to them about them. this makes them assume that they are calling them 'grey' and they have had them already.

When someone says things, we hear syllables subconsciously, affecting our emotions, yes?
    !! Thug LIfe !!

+ Reply to Thread