RollingWave's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 367x in 292 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I confess that I don't know a ton about Chinese car brands either since they're not on sale in Taiwan, but China's been the world's biggest auto producer for the last half decade already, nowadays about 45% ish of their production are domestic brands, though almost all entirely sold within China and split by many companies, last year China produced something like 13.8 million (in 2011 the US produced about 7.8 million) automobiles but only around 800,000 of them were packed onto ships and exported(!) that means pretty much all the 13 million cars they produced were sold within China. with that sort of absurd consumption it's not hard to see why China's the rage these days for auto makers. China has quite few automakers but non of them are really big yet compare to the giant Japanese and US firms.

Amusingly enough though, some Chinese brands are now made in Eastern Europe.

here's a few local Chinese brands though they basically don't look that much different from US / Japanese cars.
    (Great Wall H5)

I think this is one of the larger brands though I'm really not sure either, a Besturn B70 (mostly based on Mazdas)

Roewe 550

Though in most of East and SE Asia, scooters sales are extremely high, usually beating the crap out of car sales by a mile, obviously it helps that an avreage priced scooter is about 1/6 the cost of the cheapest cars....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingWave For This Useful Post:

MMC (07-05-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,518x in 94,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that I heard that GM is selling more cars in China than in the US. Of course built in China.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, it's sorta comming at the expense of the US car maker employee of course, though China's the largest maker today it's current production is actually lower than the US' peak production, it's just that it keeps rising (it has rose nearly 20 fold in the last 2 decade!) while the US have fell quite a bit over the last few years. though the Auto Unions have to take a considerable portion of the blame here.

Still, car sales in East Asia can be misleading, since most people's preferred way of travel is a scooter, much more useful in the usually high density populated countries around here. where parking and going through traffic with such a thing is much more convient (not to meantion cheaper).

I drive a small FORD sometimes for work, but most daily travel I use a older modle of this SYM fighter.

the maintainese cost difference is already a huge incentive for most folks here to use these instead, a checkup is like 1/10 the cost (you essentially only need to change gear oils and stuff.) the only true downside is that it really sucks in snow conditions (but that's a non-issue in Taiwan obviously ), that and of course if it rains your not going to come out completely dry even with a rain jacket on. it is somewhat less safe ofcoruse than car, but the difference is usually within acceptable range. afterall they're usually not gonig to be going as fast as cars either and most people are far more aware / concern about their personal saftey on these things then when they drive cars.

According to current government registry figure, there are about 6 million registered passenger cars in Taiwan (about 1 car every 4 person), but 15 million registered motorcycles. (which like like nearly one for everyone over 18...)
    Last edited by RollingWave; 07-04-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    yeah, it's sorta comming at the expense of the US car maker employee of course, though China's the largest maker today it's current production is actually lower than the US' peak production, it's just that it keeps rising (it has rose nearly 20 fold in the last 2 decade!) while the US have fell quite a bit over the last few years. though the Auto Unions have to take a considerable portion of the blame here.

Still, car sales in East Asia can be misleading, since most people's preferred way of travel is a scooter, much more useful in the usually high density populated countries around here. where parking and going through traffic with such a thing is much more convient (not to meantion cheaper).

I drive a small FORD sometimes for work, but most daily travel I use a older modle of this SYM fighter.

the maintainese cost difference is already a huge incentive for most folks here to use these instead, a checkup is like 1/10 the cost (you essentially only need to change gear oils and stuff.) the only true downside is that it really sucks in snow conditions (but that's a non-issue in Taiwan obviously ), that and of course if it rains your not going to come out completely dry even with a rain jacket on. it is somewhat less safe ofcoruse than car, but the difference is usually within acceptable range. afterall they're usually not gonig to be going as fast as cars either and most people are far more aware / concern about their personal saftey on these things then when they drive cars.

According to current government registry figure, there are about 6 million registered passenger cars in Taiwn, but 15 million registered motorcycles.
    I would definitely say the biggest concern with what you posted is safety. And as a former motorcycle rider myself, acceleration can be helpful if you're already traveling at a fatal speed. Noise is a good protector too, that's a big benefit of riding those loud ass Harleys. On something like that can you really gun it to escape danger? I wouldn't think so. I'd ride that if I had a commute measured in city blocks, but anything on a street with a limit higher than 25 mph I wouldn't be comfortable. There are plenty of motorcycles you can do your own maintenance on...how long is your commute and what are the top speeds of your surrounding traffic? Maybe Taiwan has better two wheel safety than the US, here it is every man/vehicle for himself.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,518x in 94,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks really cool. I want one.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live very close to my workplace so that's not really what the scooter is mainly used for, running around on different errands in the city is where it's helpful. the furthest I've rode it was something like 250 KM but that's obviously not the norm, for the norm in taiwan though most folks find 20-30 min rides reasonablly acceptable.

The difference between Taiwan's roads and the US is not really the safty part, it's the part that Taiwan's roads are on a general level smaller and more conjested anyway so no matter the speed limit no cars going to be blazing around. which obviously only makes motorcycles even more practical since in comparison it's ability to wiggle through traffic often makes it the faster of the two to actually get from point A to Point B.

It also helps that since a ton of motorcycle running around is a fact of life, most drivers are far more aware of them than it would be elsewhere, usually the biggest thing westerner find difficult in driving in Taiwan when they first get here is the many motorcycles.

Heavy motorcycles (like Harley etc) have actually proven to be relatively less safe in Taiwan, but that's mostly because few people use it for daily stuff, almost all of it are rich boys showing off how fast they can go and/or riding on more dangerous / scenic roads.

I've never taken my bike over 80 km/h and that's very rare, usually the upper limit speed I would ride at is about 60km with 20-40 being the norms. but the difference is that when your at a red light and say there are 8 cars in one lane, they must lineup.. where as you can basically always wiggle to the very front, that actually makes up for a surprsing amount of time as it means you really really ONLY stop AT the red light.
    Last edited by RollingWave; 07-04-2012 at 10:30 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RollingWave For This Useful Post:

Conley (07-04-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    I live very close to my workplace so that's not really what the scooter is mainly used for, running around on different errands in the city is where it's helpful. the furthest I've rode it was something like 250 KM but that's obviously not the norm, for the norm in taiwan though most folks find 20-30 min rides reasonablly acceptable.

The difference between Taiwan's roads and the US is not really the safty part, it's the part that Taiwan's roads are on a general level smaller and more conjested anyway so no matter the speed limit no cars going to be blazing around. which obviously only makes motorcycles even more practical since in comparison it's ability to wiggle through traffic often makes it the faster of the two to actually get from point A to Point B.

It also helps that since a ton of motorcycle running around is a fact of life, most drivers are far more aware of them than it would be elsewhere, usually the biggest thing westerner find difficult in driving in Taiwan when they first get here is the many motorcycles.

Heavy motorcycles (like Harley etc) have actually proven to be relatively less safe in Taiwan, but that's mostly because few people use it for daily stuff, almost all of it are rich boys showing off how fast they can go and/or riding on more dangerous / scenic roads.

I've never taken my bike over 80 km/h and that's very rare, usually the upper limit speed I would ride at is about 60km with 20-40 being the norms.
    So I take it splitting lanes is legal in Taiwan? It is in California also but not everywhere in the US...Los Angeles has the stop and go traffic which means lane splitting bikes + lane changing fast cars = bad outcome.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is legal, though recent years a lot of roads in Taiwan have special "bike lanes" drawn on the outer lanes anyway.

One of the main development in Taiwan in recent years (I think it's not found anywhere else ) which has gone a long way into improving safty specifically on the problem you possed is that bikes can no longer make direct left turns on heavy traffic roads . what they must do is this.

This way they should no longer have to ever get to the inner lanes, and in reality most such roads explicitedly states that it's cars only and fines are made to bikes going in there. on the road most of the time the bikes ride on the side lane anyway and that's basically the mutal agreement of all driver / riders in Taiwan. which is also why one of the actual bigger safty conern is when cars park on the sidewalk and open their doors in haste.....

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite interesting RW.....myself I have never paid attention to what Cars the Chinese were driving. Wasn't Ford's way into China with the Cars, was thru Mazda?

No one-seater cars.....huh? Meaning Mass Produced.

Now the Scooters.....they could work if people here were forced to use them in Cities like NY or Chicago. Heya maybe thats what we need to get the Next generations to think about their safety first.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah it's kinda hard to get the US off the car culture, but besides that most of the US snow quite a bit so it's not as practical either.

most of China's car are just mimics with slightly different changes to US / Japanese cars anyway, so it's not going to be dramatically different than what you see in the US. yes Ford has a huge sales in China as well. as I said about 40% is local brand sale.. which means about 60% is US / Japanese brands for the most part.

+ Reply to Thread