User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Atheism

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Atheism

Hitler was well aware of the Pope and the Catholic Church and what they could do. We are taking then a religious war and that.....Hitler did not want to engage in.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Elibe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 23x in 16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LoVE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I will have more to say later, however for now I will state that many Atheists have been done great harm by organized religion. We see this same suffering on our fellow man and wish to provide solace from this abuse. Furthermore we wish to prevent the younger ones from being equally harmed. There are myriad examples of religion destroying lives, from sexual predators who are shuffled around in the Catholic churches to Fundamentalists who bleed the senior members of their congregation dry with their demands for financial reimbursements. This is not to say that all religion is bad, just to say that it should be easy to understand why so many logical thinkers are so against it.

Subsequent to that is the entire logical argument which holds that without evidence of existence, there is no reason to believe. I am a factual being and see no reason to change my nature which has served me well in all aspects of life.
    you do realize that the most murders in the history of the 19th century were perpretrated by athiests .

I give you

Stalin more than 20 million
    mao more than 40 million

that is more people in just those two athiest than the " religous folk" have killed in 3500 years. so your arguement that religion is responsible for all the ills of the world is specuous at best, and an out and out lie at its worst.
    well those two you mention and hitler also didnt do all the killing themselves, they had other people carry it out for them. no doubt some of those soldiers were christian even though the leaders weren't. they may have been hiding it from the higher ups. point is its pointless to try to decide who has killed more people atheists or christians. there are good folks and bad on both sides.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,471x in 36,446 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elibe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoVE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I will have more to say later, however for now I will state that many Atheists have been done great harm by organized religion. We see this same suffering on our fellow man and wish to provide solace from this abuse. Furthermore we wish to prevent the younger ones from being equally harmed. There are myriad examples of religion destroying lives, from sexual predators who are shuffled around in the Catholic churches to Fundamentalists who bleed the senior members of their congregation dry with their demands for financial reimbursements. This is not to say that all religion is bad, just to say that it should be easy to understand why so many logical thinkers are so against it.

Subsequent to that is the entire logical argument which holds that without evidence of existence, there is no reason to believe. I am a factual being and see no reason to change my nature which has served me well in all aspects of life.
    you do realize that the most murders in the history of the 19th century were perpretrated by athiests .

I give you

Stalin more than 20 million
    mao more than 40 million

that is more people in just those two athiest than the " religous folk" have killed in 3500 years. so your arguement that religion is responsible for all the ills of the world is specuous at best, and an out and out lie at its worst.
    well those two you mention and hitler also didnt do all the killing themselves, they had other people carry it out for them. no doubt some of those soldiers were christian even though the leaders weren't. they may have been hiding it from the higher ups. point is its pointless to try to decide who has killed more people atheists or christians. there are good folks and bad on both sides.
    Most of those soldiers (save perhaps those actually brought up under the regimes' control) were nominally Christian. So what? They weren't killing in the name of Christ but in the name of a political ideology be it Nazism, communism or whatever. In any case, it is rather pointless which makes me wonder why atheists keep bringing it up.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 23x in 16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ultimately it is the killer that bears the responsibility .. neither religion or lack of it needs to be present for man to hurt man

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ultimately it is the killer that bears the responsibility .. neither religion or lack of it needs to be present for man to hurt man
    You are correct Elibe.....there is nothing else in this World that is more Wicked and Cruel as a man. There is no other creature that is Evil.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That is true but certain in the context of war soldiers and influenced by their leaders who may well be acting in accordance with their beliefs.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

is it? Doesn't Adolf Eichmann, for example, bear as much responsibility as those who did the actual killing? Wasn't the whole regime guilty? I agree that human cruelty need not be inspired by either religion or the lack thereof but I also think that religion does provide boundaries. The brutality abnd slaughter of the 20th century was due not to technology but to ideas.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's definitely guilt there, from the planning to the carrying out of the orders. No one along that chain is innocent IMO.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conlette View Post
    There's definitely guilt there, from the planning to the carrying out of the orders. No one along that chain is innocent IMO.
    Agreed.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 23x in 16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    is it? Doesn't Adolf Eichmann, for example, bear as much responsibility as those who did the actual killing? Wasn't the whole regime guilty? I agree that human cruelty need not be inspired by either religion or the lack thereof but I also think that religion does provide boundaries. The brutality abnd slaughter of the 20th century was due not to technology but to ideas.
    i would include him in my statement

that whole system was designed for killing

+ Reply to Thread