Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    But wasn't it the company not obeying government regulations that caused the death of their employee? Isn't that like saying we don't need laws against killing, cos if people don't obey them other people will die?
    There are 2 schools of thought on the subject. Some believe that we don't need government regulations because they believe the industries will handle it competently without being told to. Some believe the industries will allow dangerous situations to exist in the name of efficiency.

I come down on the pro-OSHA side of the question. My husband is a retired construction worker who now teaches OSHA safety classes part time. He has told me many stories of companies creating and allowing unsafe working conditions. It costs them money to have safety equipment and safety requirements sometimes slows job completion. Some object to safety inspections because they are subject to fines if found in violation.
    Through all of our running and all of our cunning, if we couldn't laugh we just would go insane. - Jimmy Buffett

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    But wasn't it the company not obeying government regulations that caused the death of their employee? Isn't that like saying we don't need laws against killing, cos if people don't obey them other people will die?
    My point is more that regulations don't necessarily prevent anything. There are plenty laws against murder yet they happen all the time.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    There are 2 schools of thought on the subject. Some believe that we don't need government regulations because they believe the industries will handle it competently without being told to. Some believe the industries will allow dangerous situations to exist in the name of efficiency.

I come down on the pro-OSHA side of the question. My husband is a retired construction worker who now teaches OSHA safety classes part time. He has told me many stories of companies creating and allowing unsafe working conditions. It costs them money to have safety equipment and safety requirements sometimes slows job completion. Some object to safety inspections because they are subject to fines if found in violation.

You don't need a legal society you need a moral society. It is my belief that more a society depends on legality the less it depends on morality.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My point is more that regulations don't necessarily prevent anything. There are plenty laws against murder yet they happen all the time.
    Not the same thing and you know that. Govt Regulation of workplace hazards are permanent, once they are made to fix them. Its predictable, some one reports a workplace hazard to oasha they come they determine if its legit, they company is mandated to fix it.

Murder is strictly an unpredictable human behavior
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

domer76 (08-01-2015)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Not the same thing and you know that. Govt Regulation of workplace hazards are permanent, once they are made to fix them. Its predictable, some one reports a workplace hazard to oasha they come they determine if its legit, they company is mandated to fix it.

Murder is strictly an unpredictable human behavior
    So are accidents. Even with OSHA compliance accidents happen.

Let me clarify that I'm not saying there shouldn't be safety rules and standards and such. I'm saying government isn't the solution.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a legal society you need a moral society. It is my belief that more a society depends on legality the less it depends on morality.
    When money enters the equation, morality is forgotten or justified into unimportance....enter the idea that ignoring the morality of providing a safe environment will cost you less than the fines for failure to comply.
    Through all of our running and all of our cunning, if we couldn't laugh we just would go insane. - Jimmy Buffett

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

domer76 (08-01-2015)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    When money enters the equation, morality is forgotten or justified into unimportance....enter the idea that ignoring the morality of providing a safe environment will cost you less than the fines for failure to comply.
    How many people would work for a company that ignored the safety of it's employees?

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many people would work for a company that ignored the safety of it's employees?
    They do it every day. Depends on how badly they need a job.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

domer76 (08-01-2015),Safety (04-18-2015)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Untold numbers and unions were always the safest workplaces, because they forced unsafe conditions to be fixed.
    History is riddled with workplace disasters PRE Oasha because unscrupulous greedy employers made workers work in death traps.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Thats not an insult thats a statement and he attempts to insult me in every thread, we have history.
    Matty you cant get to me, your reputation for being vile, vulgar and insulting and whining proceeds you everywhere you go,.

Theres people on the right here that never resort to YOUR macs, blackrooks Libhater an Reason10s garbage. They get treated with the same respect they give. You in turn get what your hand calls for.

You right wing bomb throwers cant stand that you cant move me, you cant dazzle me with your verbal bull$#@! and im better at it than you. You need to shuffle on along and try to play with someone else. You might get better results So have a nice day

information

Information

Do not respond to common further he's been threadbanned for this insulting bad faith post following a warning.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.

+ Reply to Thread