IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for just supplying a couple trailers for Beyond earlier. I couldn't find the actual review of the game I was looking for, so that was my fallback. Like I mentioned before, game critics were polarized in their opinions of Beyond, so I really wanted to find one that articulated a view similar to my own. I finally the one I was looking for though, so here's the Game Spot review:

Anyway, here's my third recommendation:

GONE HOME (2013)

If you've followed my posts on this forum for very long, you've probably noticed that sandbox style adventures don't tend to be my favorite kinds. That's because the freedom that these games offer the player makes it qualitatively more difficult for developers to provide a compelling story, so they usually wind up focusing instead on serving up a bevy of distractions. I don't hate games that have weak or non-existent stories as such, but I do tend to view them as less serious. Anyway, Gone Home is a rare free-roaming exploration title that solves the aforementioned problem. How? By eliminating all distractions. Gone Home has no action elements, no puzzles to solve, and no mini-games to play. This leaves the player with nothing to explore but the story, which is revealed in the form of notes strewn throughout a large house that the player moves freely around in. You are fundamentally tasked with piecing the story together by finding all these notes. One's enjoyment of the game derives from the thrill of discovery. That might sound dull to you, but trust me, it actually works quite well, given the degree of authenticity and the type of atmosphere that Gone Home provides.

You see, the story is not actually about your character, Kaitlin, but rather about the backstory of her sister Samantha and Samantha's friend Yolanda (a.k.a. Lonnie). Set in 1995, the game serves up all manner of nostalgia for that era that people like myself who grew up in and around that time frame can appreciate (VHS tapes, primitive computers, all that sort of thing), but also speaks to the shortcomings of the popular mindset of the time. To divulge certain points of the aforementioned backstory you're tasked with unearthing, it revolves around Samantha and Lonnie meeting and later falling in love. Yes that kind of love. But all manner of problems emerge: you learn of their struggles to navigate disapproving parents who insist that they just haven't met the right boy yet, forcible separation, etc. Only the most callous can walk away from this game unfazed by the depth of their affection for each other, coupled with the sadly believable sort of challenges they face in trying to remain together. It's all brought home with highly convincing voice acting, background music, and the just generally realistic portrayal of the way that era felt. In many ways, the delivery is what makes this a compelling, if unusual, game.

Continuing my theme of fancying that games should move more away from being all about feeling powerful and instead become more about cultivating empathy in the player, this is the kind of thing I think that first-person shooters should generally evolve into. The game uses the same play mechanics as a first-person shooter, after all. BioShock Infinite may have a compelling and dare I say even touching storyline, but frankly I think we've all noticed that the degree of brutality and bloodshed therein kind of takes away from its impact rather than adding to it. Gone Home supplies no such distractions and thus constitutes the more artistically advanced application of the play mechanics, IMO. It is fully driven by its story and atmosphere.

Here's the Game Spot review for Gone Home:

(Yep, by Carolyn Petit, for those who remember that name from another recent thread. )
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 04-28-2015 at 05:59 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

PattyHill (04-28-2015)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PattyHill's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,257x in 882 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone Home sounds pretty compelling. But - nostalgia for the mid-90s? that wasn't that long ago!!

I guess I'm getting old... (smile)

I really like your writeups.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PattyHill For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-28-2015)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Parasite Eve is one I want to play again if I ever get the chance.

my junk is ugly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (04-28-2015)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patty wrote:
    Gone Home sounds pretty compelling. But - nostalgia for the mid-90s? that wasn't that long ago!!

I guess I'm getting old... (smile)

I really like your writeups.
    *sigh* You'd be surprised how easily and how soon nostalgia can set in for people today, myself included. It must be a generational thing because there's a lot of demand amongst people my age for so-called '90s retro stuff. I mean check out Teen Nick on weekend nights, for example, and you'll find a retro block called "'90s Nick" on, where they run nothing but their '90s era shows to satisfy the nostalgia of people my age. Maybe not so much when it comes to Nickeleon, but I find it easy to get sucked into '90s and early 2000s nostalgia already, even at just 30. I can see why older people have a reputation for getting set in their ways and tastes. My childhood was the happiest time of my life by far. When that really is the case for you, it can bias you against new things and new ideas. It's precisely for that sort reason that I try to remain future-oriented in my overall thinking. Otherwise you wind up becoming narrow-minded, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment! I am trying to put a decent amount of effort and thought into my comments here.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 04-28-2015 at 12:12 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

GrassrootsConservative (04-28-2015),PattyHill (04-28-2015),Peter1469 (04-28-2015)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GrassrootsConservative's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,273x in 3,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    *sigh* You'd be surprised how easily and how soon nostalgia can set in for people today, myself included. It must be a generational thing because there's a lot of demand amongst people my age for so-called '90s retro stuff. I mean check out Teen Nick on weekend nights, for example, and you'll find a retro block called "'90s Nick" on, where they run nothing but their '90s era shows to satisfy the nostalgia of people my age. Maybe not so much when it comes to Nickeleon, but I find it easy to get sucked into '90s and early 2000s nostalgia already, even at just 30. I can see why older people have a reputation for getting set in their ways and tastes. My childhood was the happiest time of my life by far. It's precisely for that sort reason that I try to remain future-oriented in my overall thinking. Otherwise you wind up becoming narrow-minded, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment! I am trying to put a decent amount of effort and thought into my comments here.
    Do they run The Hidden Temple?

And I have nostalgia from my childhood in the 90's too. Any time I hear Billy Corgan's voice is the biggest example.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GrassrootsConservative wrote:
    Do they run The Hidden Temple?

And I have nostalgia from my childhood in the 90's too. Any time I hear Billy Corgan's voice is the biggest example.
    I THINK they do, but I've never stuck with it that late into the evening. I always switch to Toonami once it comes on. And that's another perfect example of today's '90s nostalgia amongst people our age: the revival of Toonami.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code Lyoko was the only good thing about Toonami.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you kidding me?? You didn't like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Dragon Ball Z??

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I don't general like Japanese things.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)