Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,009x in 2,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
    There was a fair amount of Fr. influence on Mexican cuisine. See http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2...a-afrancescada

"The French Influence On Mexican Cooking: La Comida Afrancescada "Karen Hursh Graber

"Mexican Kitchen

"Modern Mexican cooking is considered by culinary historians to be a fusion of three cuisines - indigenous, Spanish and French. ...

"The formation of Mexican culture was still being seen in European terms, something that was to reverse itself a century later, but not before a period of intense effort on the part of the elite to emulate the architecture, fashion and cuisine of the French. The empire of Maximilian and the presidency of Porfirio Díaz were both influential in promoting la comida afrancescada ("Frenchified" cooking.)"

(Details @ the URL)

& so on. French influence on desserts & pastries was extensive, & Mexican Prex. Díaz ruled for 35 years, & he was very much a French cuisine aficionado. ¡Viva!
    At least they didn't adopt the pitifully small morsel of food on the giant plate trick. That has been a deal breaker for me.
    My beliefs are a distillation of what I was taught as a child and what I observe as an adult.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people just love mexican food, I never went crazy for it.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    southwest88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 826x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bon appétit!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    At least they didn't adopt the pitifully small morsel of food on the giant plate trick. That has been a deal breaker for me.
    Ah, the latest round of nouvelle cuisine. It's understandable - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouvelle_cuisine

"The style Gault and Millau wrote about was a reaction to the French cuisine classique placed into "orthodoxy" by Escoffier. Calling for greater simplicity and elegance in creating dishes, nouvelle cuisine is not cuisine minceur ("thin cooking"), which was created by Michel Guérard as spa food. It has been speculated that the outbreak of World War II was a significant contributor to nouvelle cuisine's creation—the short supply of animal protein during the German occupation made it a natural development.[7]"

(My emphasis)

The term nouvelle cuisine gets recycled a lot in French cuisine. Apparently they're all for revising culinary tradition. But no worries - the current use of the term apparently dates to 1969CE, & the War is over - we won. (Although France hasn't done all that well since - but the culinary privations caused by WWII should be safely over.)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nic34's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,703x in 2,808 Posts
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other influence on Mexican cooking is the use of American ingredients and preperation. Tex-Mex cuisine.

The use of yellow shredded cheese, meat (particularly beef and pork)..... dishes such as Texas-style chili con carne, fajitas, hardshell tacos, burritos, and nachos are all Tex-Mex inventions.

9 Authentic Mexican Dishes You Should Eat Instead Of The Tex-Mex Knockoffs

http://www.businessinsider.com/authe...#ixzz3ZHVFoSHa

But tonight its La Parrilla Suiza, Mexico City Cuisine in Phoenix.

http://www.laparrillasuiza.com/
    "Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
    ----------

Nattering naybob

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nic34 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (05-05-2015)

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Polecat's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,009x in 2,021 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
    Ah, the latest round of nouvelle cuisine. It's understandable - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouvelle_cuisine

"The style Gault and Millau wrote about was a reaction to the French cuisine classique placed into "orthodoxy" by Escoffier. Calling for greater simplicity and elegance in creating dishes, nouvelle cuisine is not cuisine minceur ("thin cooking"), which was created by Michel Guérard as spa food. It has been speculated that the outbreak of World War II was a significant contributor to nouvelle cuisine's creation—the short supply of animal protein during the German occupation made it a natural development.[7]"

(My emphasis)

The term nouvelle cuisine gets recycled a lot in French cuisine. Apparently they're all for revising culinary tradition. But no worries - the current use of the term apparently dates to 1969CE, & the War is over - we won. (Although France hasn't done all that well since - but the culinary privations caused by WWII should be safely over.)
    I'm starting to think you may be the head cook at a Waffle House or something. As much as I like eating I have never bothered to educate myself on the matter. You have invested some time on this subject. I yield the floor to your superior knowledge.
    My beliefs are a distillation of what I was taught as a child and what I observe as an adult.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far from God,

Quote Originally Posted by nic34 View Post
    The other influence on Mexican cooking is the use of American ingredients and preperation. Tex-Mex cuisine. The use of yellow shredded cheese, meat (particularly beef and pork)..... dishes such as Texas-style chili con carne, fajitas, hardshell tacos, burritos, and nachos are all Tex-Mex inventions. 9 Authentic Mexican Dishes You Should Eat Instead Of The Tex-Mex Knockoffs ...
    American ingredients - Yah, well, the Spanish (& Portuguese & French, likely) brought horses, oxen, pigs, sheep, war/hunting dogs, cattle, goats to the Americas, TMK. The horses, pigs, dogs were captured or ran free - & thus were plentiful by the time TX got going. The amount of protein in meals is a tough one - horses & cattle take lots of feed & water, sheep take lots of care. The others can fend for themselves pretty well. I get the impression that the Native Peoples - especially inland, away from lakes, rivers - didn't have as much protein as their relatives living near large bodies of water (except the buffalo hunters). The NP were fairly healthy - & comparatively large - cf. contemporary Spanish & French armor - Europeans tended to be smaller in stature than NP. Corn, potatoes, chocolate & various tubers & tropical fruits were already here, of course. Tex-Mex - doesn't get any respect from Mexican cuisine - not sure if it's the Not invented here theory, or cross-contamination from US illegal immigration to TX (part of New Spain & then Mexico @ the time). Yah, those prejudices die hard. In any event, you can likely still start bar fights along the US/Mexico border by discussing the topic openly. But the photo looks absolutely delicious. Prosit!
    Last edited by southwest88; 05-05-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all good

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I'm starting to think you may be the head cook at a Waffle House or something. As much as I like eating I have never bothered to educate myself on the matter. You have invested some time on this subject. I yield the floor to your superior knowledge.
    Tks! But I grew up around here, & have been enjoying the food ever since I can remember.

I do remember some bits & pieces from class - the Columbian Exchange. It's interesting to see where basic foods came from. But I'm glad to contribute to the discussion, when I can find something helpful to say.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to southwest88 For This Useful Post:

nic34 (05-05-2015)

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Achievements:
    maineman's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,948x in 2,401 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was the expat men's breakfast, so I had to postpone my trip to my FAVORITE taco/torta joint in the whole wide world, Wayan'e.

I will be there tomorrow morning at 10am. I am such a regular, when Enrique, the head cook sees me coming, he makes my castican con queso torta and he hands it to me as I approach! You can actually see him making those very tortas in this video!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maineman For This Useful Post:

nic34 (05-05-2015)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crepitus View Post
    Since yesterday was "may the fourth be with you" doesn't that make today "the revenge of the fifth"

Will tomorrow be Six and the Single Girl?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Crepitus (05-05-2015)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cinco De Mayo is a huge problem in Ca. If there are Mexican kids at school, the school allows them to use the Mexican flag at school to celebrate.

but the kids are not allowed to use the American flag.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06...gs-cinco-mayo/

Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo.
    The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, one of their parents told FoxNews.com. The boys complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags.
    Dariano's mother, Diana, told FoxNews.com she and parents of the other four students are now demanding an apology from officials and are considering a lawsuit.

+ Reply to Thread