User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something Different, food for thought....

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something Different, food for thought....

Often when I return from the wearying world of daily chores to seek solace in the profundity that posters share, my mind goes haywire and only strong drugs would make it all better. Maybe it is too much to expect sanity when sanity is so darn confusing. That must be the appeal of science fiction and magic. As a different approach, I picked one quote from several OPs, I'll leave it to the reader to find the article of interest. Guess the topic too. Education and a bit of thought. Enjoy.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...jason-stanley/

"...In France, which has a right to be considered one of the modern birthplaces of the liberal democratic revolution, satire has long had a special role. Satire is the ultimate method by which reason can address power. With the use of satire, even those without control of resources can, with merely the use of a pen, bring figures of authority down to earth."

"...Madison rejected appointing unelected experts to solve the problems raised by factions, and offered, as the best solution to the thorny difficulty of competing interests, the idea of representative government as a way of “controlling its effects.” Madison’s solution to the problem of factionalism is a government of representatives, who are accountable to the people via the mechanism of elections."

"...The fairness of a system of justice is measured by the degree to which its laws are fairly and consistently applied across all citizens. In a fair system, a group is singled out for punishment only insofar as its propensity for unjustified violations of the laws demands."

"We believe that in the enterprise of uncovering truth, the paths of the scientist and the humanist must often intersect. Rather than argue in generalities, we will develop a specific example, though we assume that there are many others like it."

"...Plato argues that we cannot hope the multitude to achieve expertise in the craft of governing. They are too easily misled by sophists. It followed, for Plato, that democracy must be rejected as a just system of governance."

"...The expectation is that any statement made either by a politician or by a media outlet is a false ideological distortion. As a result, no one blames politicians for making false statements or statements that obviously contradict that politician’s beliefs. I believe that the unfolding presidential campaign provides a compelling demonstration of my previous claims."

"Our society is divided into castes based upon a supposed division between theoretical knowledge and practical skill. The college professor holds forth on television, as the plumber fumes about detached ivory tower intellectuals."

"...the claim I am making — that Fox News intentionally uses the slogan “fair and balanced” to undermine trust in news outlets generally — is false: The reality is just that Fox News has successfully tricked a group of gullible viewers into believing something false."

"We might wish politicians and pundits from opposing parties to engage in reasoned debate about the truth, but as we know, this is not the reality of our political discourse."

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...jason-stanley/

"What convinces masses are not facts, and not even invented facts, but only the consistency of the system which they are presumably part. Repetition, somewhat overrated in importance because of the common belief in the masses' inferior capacity to grasp and remember, is important because it convinces them of consistency in time." Hannah Arendt

A book by author of pieces above, 'How Propaganda Works,' Jason Stanley.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if anyone took the challenge or does everyone already know all they need to know. Or think so. lol

How does one know what one knows. Some time ago I had a discussion with a philosopher on folk psychology, now referred to as mind reading, I proposed that there were certain choices friends would make because I knew them well. The philosopher countered that was not possible as knowledge of that sort is a kind of guessing. My example then was voting and I gave my reasons. The counter addressed the reasons and thought of exceptions. Since then I have confirmed my guesses (?). More FFT.

http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/think...ded-cognition/

"I do not myself believe that many people do things because they think they are the right thing to do . . . . I do not think that knowledge of what is morally right is motivational in any serious sense for anyone except a handful of saints." Richard Posner
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truthiness.

"To see how we treat the concept of truth these days, one might think we just don’t care anymore. Politicians pronounce that global warming is a hoax. An alarming number of middle-class parents have stopped giving their children routine vaccinations, on the basis of discredited research. Meanwhile many commentators in the media — and even some in our universities — have all but abandoned their responsibility to set the record straight. (It doesn’t help when scientists occasionally have to retract their own work.)"

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Att...-Truth/230631/

"But then a funny thing happened: While many natural scientists declared the battle won and headed back to their labs, some left-wing postmodernist criticisms of truth began to be picked up by right-wing ideologues who were looking for respectable cover for their denial of climate change, evolution, and other scientifically accepted conclusions. Alan Sokal said he had hoped to shake up academic progressives, but suddenly one found hard-right conservatives sounding like Continental intellectuals. And that caused discombobulation on the left."

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wot...
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PattyHill's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,257x in 882 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    op is too long. Can't focus. Must find cat video

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PattyHill For This Useful Post:

maineman (06-11-2015),Peter1469 (06-11-2015)

+ Reply to Thread