Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,257x in 882 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    Water should not be a commodity in my opinion. I think it's reasonable to regulate it when needed (i.e. droughts, abuse, etc) but the selling of natural water is not something I fully support. I also do not support regulations on rain water catches like some cities have if people want to try and supplement for their gardens, homes, or even to drink. I understand that sometimes people don't quite know what they are doing sometimes when it comes to how they are catching the rain water and can get themselves sick but nobody should be forced to buy water for nourishment in my opinion.
    I agree that everyone should have access to safe, inexpensive water.

But - if after the public drinking water needs have been met - when everyone has water in their house or business - if there is water left over and someone wants to bottle it and sell it, I don't have a problem with that (except for the environmental waste of the bottles. But there are some situations where even I buy a plastic bottle of water for one reason or another. Hospitals use them as well; pricier but probably better germ-wise instead of washing and reusing cups.)

But never should the public water supply be privatized. They've done that in other countries and it's been bad.

In the case of the article in the op, I don't think they are privatizing the water supply. They are just buying water very cheaply and selling it for a high profit. Maybe Oregon should get into the bottled water business if there is that much profit! And given the other points in the op, this doesn't sound like a wise idea.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PattyHill's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,257x in 882 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (for those that didn't read the full article - problems include infrastructure that the state will need to provide/maintain that Nestle isn't paying for; pollution from the plant; the potential that there isn't as much water as they think; and Nestle's prior behavior in similar communities)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PattyHill For This Useful Post:

Chloe (06-20-2015)

+ Reply to Thread