Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homeless man donates reward

He donated his reward but did ask for a job.

'A homeless man who made headline and defied stereotypes when he walked into a police station to return thousands in cash he had found continues to amaze. He has now donated the thousands of dollars raised for him by people who were moved by his initial act to a homeless shelter.

According to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the homeless man was tracked down by Constable Alex Bérubé of the West Shore RCMP. “After hearing this story and seeing how this case touched so many people, I took a personal interest in finding this man, looking for him everywhere while on and off shift. It's not easy tracking down a person of no fixed address and no phone, but I kept trying because I needed to tell him about how the community had rallied together to help him,” said Bérubé.
    <snip>
    A GoFundMe account had been set up by Mike Kelly, founder and social media director of Victoria Buzz, a news site. The initial goal was $2,400 — the amount in Canadian dollars found and turned in by the man initially — but has raised more than double that amount. When Bérubé tracked down the man to tell him about the reward money, "His response surprised me yet again, when instead of asking how to collect it, he asked me how to donate it to Our Place and other food service providers for people in need.” Our Place Society is, according to its web site "an inner-city community center serving Greater Victoria’s most vulnerable: working poor, impoverished elderly, mentally and physically challenged, addicted and the homeless. Individuals and businesses provide the majority of financial support for our programs and services. Our Place serves over 1,200 meals per day and provides hot showers, free clothing, counseling and outreach services, plus 45 transitional housing units."
    <snip>
    And while he doesn't want the money raised — the note pictured above details his wishes that it be donated — one thing he has requested is a job. Kelly is also spearheading that effort, and Victoria Buzz is looking for leads at the email address info@victoriabuzz.com. “Here is a man who is facing many challenges, yet despite that, he chose to do the right thing and see that another person wasn't left short thousands of dollars and facing the challenges that would bring them," said Kelly in the RCMP press release. "Now I'm going to do everything I can to help find him a job that fits his personal situation, and will hopefully move him closer to overcoming his current challenges.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/homeless-man-r...-news-sex.html
    Through all of our running and all of our cunning, if we couldn't laugh we just would go insane. - Jimmy Buffett

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

PattyHill (07-01-2015),silvereyes (07-01-2015),southwest88 (07-01-2015),TrueBlue (07-01-2015)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GrassrootsConservative's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,273x in 3,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for him. Also good for him on asking for a job.

That is the one thing I will do for people that beg me for money, cigarettes, or (in one instance) food. I will tell them to get a job. If more people would get jobs we would have less homeless people.

IDK why this would somehow be some sort of negative thing for him to do while doing something nice. Really? He wants to make his own way here in this great nation. $#@!ing good. I hope he gets a better job than I.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    PattyHill's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,257x in 882 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassrootsConservative View Post
    Good for him. Also good for him on asking for a job.

That is the one thing I will do for people that beg me for money, cigarettes, or (in one instance) food. I will tell them to get a job. If more people would get jobs we would have less homeless people.

IDK why this would somehow be some sort of negative thing for him to do while doing something nice. Really? He wants to make his own way here in this great nation. $#@!ing good. I hope he gets a better job than I.

who said it was a negative sort of thing?

And telling homeless people to get a job is a jerk thing to do. Just walk by quietly unless you have a job to give them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PattyHill For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (07-01-2015),TrueBlue (07-01-2015)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    southwest88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 826x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Christmas Day! I haven 't missed it. The Spirits have done it all in 1 night!

That homeless man may lack a home, but he has excellent heart. I expect he had an excellent upbringing - @ least as far as the virtues go.

God bless him, & us, every one.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to southwest88 For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (07-01-2015),TrueBlue (07-01-2015)

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,416
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TrueBlue's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,957x in 1,656 Posts
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    He donated his reward but did ask for a job.

'A homeless man who made headline and defied stereotypes when he walked into a police station to return thousands in cash he had found continues to amaze. He has now donated the thousands of dollars raised for him by people who were moved by his initial act to a homeless shelter.

According to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the homeless man was tracked down by Constable Alex Bérubé of the West Shore RCMP. “After hearing this story and seeing how this case touched so many people, I took a personal interest in finding this man, looking for him everywhere while on and off shift. It's not easy tracking down a person of no fixed address and no phone, but I kept trying because I needed to tell him about how the community had rallied together to help him,” said Bérubé.
    <snip>
    A GoFundMe account had been set up by Mike Kelly, founder and social media director of Victoria Buzz, a news site. The initial goal was $2,400 — the amount in Canadian dollars found and turned in by the man initially — but has raised more than double that amount. When Bérubé tracked down the man to tell him about the reward money, "His response surprised me yet again, when instead of asking how to collect it, he asked me how to donate it to Our Place and other food service providers for people in need.” Our Place Society is, according to its web site "an inner-city community center serving Greater Victoria’s most vulnerable: working poor, impoverished elderly, mentally and physically challenged, addicted and the homeless. Individuals and businesses provide the majority of financial support for our programs and services. Our Place serves over 1,200 meals per day and provides hot showers, free clothing, counseling and outreach services, plus 45 transitional housing units."
    <snip>
    And while he doesn't want the money raised — the note pictured above details his wishes that it be donated — one thing he has requested is a job. Kelly is also spearheading that effort, and Victoria Buzz is looking for leads at the email address info@victoriabuzz.com. “Here is a man who is facing many challenges, yet despite that, he chose to do the right thing and see that another person wasn't left short thousands of dollars and facing the challenges that would bring them," said Kelly in the RCMP press release. "Now I'm going to do everything I can to help find him a job that fits his personal situation, and will hopefully move him closer to overcoming his current challenges.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/homeless-man-r...-news-sex.html
    May God bless him for his awesome heart and wonderful generosity!
    Let's see how much care and compassion Trump and Republicans show for their fellow Americans to truly help them out in their time of need.

Let's start the count to see if Trump comes through on the many things he promised to do for Americans. If he doesn't, along with a Republican Congress, then what's his and their excuse?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrueBlue For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (07-01-2015),southwest88 (07-01-2015)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woman Raising Funds to Help Homeless Marine Veteran who lent her money for gas...

Woman Raising Funds to Help Homeless Marine Veteran
    23 Nov 2017 | A woman is raising funds for a homeless Marine veteran who helped her when she ran out of gas.
    Kate McClure didn't expect to run out of gas on her drive to Philadelphia last month. And she definitely didn't expect that her misfortune would give her the opportunity to change someone else's life. Pulled over on the side of I-95, McClure, 27, was approached by a homeless man named Johnny. She was apprehensive at first, but Johnny told her to get back into her car and to lock the doors while he walked to get her help. He went to a nearby gas station, used his last $20 fill a can and brought it back to fill up her car. Grateful, but without a dollar to repay him, McClure promised she would come back with something. In the weeks since, she's returned to the spot along I-95 where Johnny stays with cash, snacks and Wawa gift cards. Each time she's stopped by with her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, they've learned a bit more about Johnny's story, and become humbled by his gratitude.

Eventually, the Florence Township couple knew they had to do something more. "I would say, 'I keep thinking about that guy,'" D'Amico said. And McClure was thinking about Johnny, too. So they launched a GoFundMe campaign, putting an ambitious $10,000 goal and hoping to rein in a few hundred dollars to book Johnny a motel for a few nights where he could clean up, and start to get back on his feet. The fundraising campaign has far exceeded its goal of $10,000. "It just blew up," McClure said, noting that donors have come forward with $5, $10 or even several hundred after she's shared the GoFundMe to various Facebook groups. Johnny, who's 34, told McClure and D'Amico he has been homeless for about a year. He said he was previously a certified paramedic, and also served in the Marine Corps.

Homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt Jr. (left) stands next to Kate McClure in Philadelphia on Nov. 17, with her boyfriend Mark D'Amico standing behind them.

After moving around the country for a time, he came to Philadelphia a year ago with a job lined up and some money to buy a truck. But soon after the job fell through, leaving Johnny surviving off meager savings. Later, he lost his paperwork, rendering him unable to work. One night on the streets turned into a week, and ultimately a year of homelessness. Learning his story, and sifting through his old Facebook photos, McClure and D'Amico said they were shocked to see how quickly Johnny's life had changed from that of a working man who vacationed on the beach to one living off the streets of Philadelphia. "It's crazy, you can relate to that," McClure said. "You look through and think, 'that could be me.'" The couple understands how their help in reaching out to landlords and vouching for Johnny's character will help him overcome some of those hurdles. "If we just handed him the money, it's not going to happen," McClure said.

Johnny has started the process of getting his paperwork replaced, as he's currently without identification or Veteran's Affairs papers, McClure said. He hopes to get a job at the Amazon warehouse in Robbinsville, and down the road, hopes to take the test to become recertified as a paramedic in Pennsylvania or New Jersey. And McClure and D'Amico are confident they can get him started on that path soon, hoping to place him in a room to rent in an apartment within two weeks as they continue to fundraise. "When I still look at (the GoFundMe), it blows my mind," McClure said. "It's actually going to happen for him."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...scued-her.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (11-27-2017)

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    silvereyes's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,850x in 4,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this gave me a jolt.

Pol, I really really miss you. You were one a million. You always found some good in everyone....no matter who they were or what they had done. I miss our late night chats. Even if I was sad or crying you would coax me into a smile and convince me that tomorrow would be a brighter, better day. I sure need that now. My tomorrows are not a guarantee these days.

I know that you have brightened up Heaven with your smile and your laughter. Hopefully we will all see you again one day.

I love you.
    At the end of the day...I am still glad that I am me. Tail and all.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honest Homeless' man found €300,000 in Paris airport...

'Homeless' man found €300,000 in Paris airport
    13 Dec.`17 - A man who chanced upon hundreds of thousands of euros after leaning on a door at Charles de Gaulle airport in France is thought to have been homeless.
    Local police say they recognised him in security footage as one of many people who sleep rough near the airport. The door of the Loomis cash management company in terminal 2F had been left unlocked and the man, in his fifties, walked back out with two bags of cash. He is now being sought by police.

The man walked off with two bags full of cash a week ago and police have not found him

At about 17:30 (16:30 GMT) last Friday, an alarm sounded at the cash management company's offices. Officers who checked the security footage found that the man had been searching bins outside the office and looked surprised when the door he leaned on opened. He went inside and re-emerged seconds later carrying the two bags.

The man left a suitcase behind, but nothing in it has given his identity away. The cash he took totalled €300,000 (£260,000). A source close to the case was quoted in Le Parisien as saying: "This is indeed quite fortuitous. "This homeless man benefited from a combination of circumstances to land himself a huge Christmas present."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42343604

+ Reply to Thread