Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I only found two rifled canon on the southern line along the woods to the east of the visitor center- which has really good displays in it. I figured the Park Rangers just used extras to fill gaps.
    My sense of direction was not firing on all cylinders there and even at DC. I am pretty sure I know the line of cannon you speak of. If it is what I think it is, the old house with the small cemetery where a woman was killed is not far and the line of cannon are kind of near the old home that really is not still there though they have information plaques there. I recall walking along a fairly long line of cannon.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would not have made strategic sense to attack SC- that would have required an amphibious assault beyond the North's ability. The attack on Sumter was casus belli- justification for war.
    Abe called out the miliary well ahead of any declaration of war.

As it was, at Manassas Abe had his ass kicked.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,385x in 94,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    My sense of direction was not firing on all cylinders there and even at DC. I am pretty sure I know the line of cannon you speak of. If it is what I think it is, the old house with the small cemetery where a woman was killed is not far and the line of cannon are kind of near the old home that really is not still there though they have information plaques there. I recall walking along a fairly long line of cannon.
    The line I am referring to was firing into the direction of that house. General Thomas Jackson (no nickname yet) set up his brigade there with 13 guns. They did end up killing the citizen that you mention- collateral damage. Anyway the process of forming a unit for battle was painfully slow.

General Bernard Bee's unit was to Jackson's front as Jackson got his unit into good order. Bee was in heavy contact with Union forces and request advice- and Jackson suggested that he give the enemy the bayonet.

By the time Jackson's lines were formed Bee's unit was taking heavy casualties. He said something to this effect: "There is Jackson standing like a stone wall.... Rally behind the Virginians." Then Bee was mortally wounded and the accuracy of the entire statement is in question. A big statute to him stands there now. But now you know how Jackson got the name Stonewall.

Link.

For the map: "First Bull Run July21 1600" by Map by Hal Jespersen, www.CWmaps.com. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:First_Bull_Run_July21_1600.png#/media/File:First_Bull_Run_July21_1600.png"
    Last edited by Peter1469; 07-11-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abe called out the miliary well ahead of any declaration of war.

As it was, at Manassas Abe had his ass kicked.
    That is a reasonable thing to do if you think war is coming. Especially then, when recruitment, training, and troop movement was slow.

But even in the early 1990s Bush didn't get his Authorization for the Use of Military Force until he had 500,000 troops in position. Congress didn't authorize anything until Jan 14, 1991.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The line I am referring to was firing into the direction of that house. General Thomas Jackson (no nickname yet) set up his brigade there with 13 guns. They did end up killing the citizen that you mention- collateral damage. Anyway the process of forming a unit for battle was painfully slow.

General Bernard Bee's unit was to Jackson's front as Jackson got his unit into good order. Bee was in heavy contact with Union forces and request advice- and Jackson suggested that he give the enemy the bayonet.

By the time Jackson's lines were formed Bee's unit was taking heavy casualties. He said something to this effect: "There is Jackson standing like a stone wall.... Rally behind the Virginians." Then Bee was mortally wounded and the accuracy of the entire statement is in question. A big statute to him stands there now. But now you know how Jackson got the name Stonewall.

Link.

For the map: "First Bull Run July21 1600" by Map by Hal Jespersen, www.CWmaps.com. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:First_Bull_Run_July21_1600.png#/media/File:First_Bull_Run_July21_1600.png"
    I believe the black square (Henry) is where the house is where the casualty happened.

The park service operations and museum are where the caption is at the lower left, "First Battle of bull Run".

The word Jackson is along the line of the cannon best I recall. I was last there about 13 years ago but I still recall the lay of the land.

I believe at the Jackson statue is the explanation of his nickname. Also, that story is in some of my civil war books.

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a reasonable thing to do if you think war is coming. Especially then, when recruitment, training, and troop movement was slow.

But even in the early 1990s Bush didn't get his Authorization for the Use of Military Force until he had 500,000 troops in position. Congress didn't authorize anything until Jan 14, 1991.
    Abe raising troops had some Governors in an uproar.

I think you know that the war power of presidents was changed long after Abe was rotting in his grave.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the black square (Henry) is where the house is where the casualty happened.

The park service operations and museum are where the caption is at the lower left, "First Battle of bull Run".

The word Jackson is along the line of the cannon best I recall. I was last there about 13 years ago but I still recall the lay of the land.

I believe at the Jackson statue is the explanation of his nickname. Also, that story is in some of my civil war books.
    The Henry House is where the civilian (Mrs Henry) died. She was 85 and couldn't leave her bed. The current visitor center, or at least the one I was referring to is called the Henry Hill visitor center. I believe it sits along Jackson's line, but the current cannon on display are to the east (north east may be more accurate) of it. I don't recall there being anything further west- so far as artifacts go- in the immediate area. There is a driving tour to see more.

This is the Henry House

Link
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abe raising troops had some Governors in an uproar.

I think you know that the war power of presidents was changed long after Abe was rotting in his grave.

Wait..., you hate Abe!
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Henry House is where the civilian (Mrs Henry) died. She was 85 and couldn't leave her bed. The current visitor center, or at least the one I was referring to is called the Henry Hill visitor center. I believe it sits along Jackson's line, but the current cannon on display are to the east (north east may be more accurate) of it. I don't recall there being anything further west- so far as artifacts go- in the immediate area. There is a driving tour to see more.

This is the Henry House

Link
    Here is a link with a satellite image that points out the Henry House. The visitor center in closer to Rte 234. That is the road you exit from I-66 to get there.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Bob's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the Henry House

Link
    You are correct. I clearly did not pay close attention to the road. I drove in over the creek and turned left onto the road so you are accurate on it's location. I was simply not paying attention to the road shown on the map running north / south.

When I saw the house, it did not look that nice. It was in need of paint when I saw it.

It was not then open to the public. Has that changed?

+ Reply to Thread