Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,335x in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    932 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
    (Laughing)

Yah, it's old training. Once upon a time, I was a proofreader & copyeditor. & I've long had a facility with language. Once I learned to touch-type, there was no holding me back. Anyway, it comes down to sloppy writing &/or thinking.

It's often hard to tell which it is. Yes, everyone can pick up a pen or pencil, everyone can sit @ a keyboard. However, all the software aids (spellcheck, grammar check, syntax, etc.) to the contrary, not everyone can write well. So I tend to carry on guerrilla warfare against unclear language - it's just me. I recognize that often people are in a hurry, or upset, & so on.

Still, because written language doesn't have the advantage of a face-to-face encounter - so that you can gauge how your POV is coming across, if you need to adjust your tone, vocabulary, references, etc. - or even look to body language or eye-rolling - written language needs more attention than conversing, in order to have a fair chance of communicating what you mean to, & not some tangential thing that you didn't mean to.
    I worked, while in the Army for a Captain that had the eyes of a hawk. He had been a company clerk himself during the Korean war and following the war went to OCS to get his commission. His eye to detail rubbed off on me.

The forums get sloppy to begin with, and I talk in "internet forum style". I entirely agree with your commentary.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:

southwest88 (07-14-2015)

+ Reply to Thread