Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPA knew of 'blowout' risk for tainted water at gold mine

Update: EPA knew of 'blowout' risk for tainted water at gold mine

No word yet on who will lose their job over this.

Internal documents released late Friday show managers at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency were aware of the potential for a catastrophic "blowout" at an abandoned mine that could release "large volumes" of wastewater laced with toxic heavy metals.

EPA released the documents following weeks of prodding from The Associated Press and other media organizations. EPA and contract workers accidentally unleashed 3 million gallons of contaminated wastewater on Aug. 5 as they inspected the idled Gold King Mine near Silverton, Colorado.

Among the documents is a June 2014 work order for a planned cleanup that noted that the old mine had not been accessible since 1995, when the entrance partially collapsed. The plan appears to have been produced by Environmental Restoration, a private contractor working for EPA.

"This condition has likely caused impounding of water behind the collapse," the report says. "ln addition, other collapses within the workings may have occurred creating additional water impounding conditions. Conditions may exist that could result in a blowout of the blockages and cause a release of large volumes of contaminated mine waters and sediment from inside the mine, which contain concentrated heavy metals."
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

southwest88 (08-24-2015)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone will get a week off with pay.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no one will be fired, there was big cahoots by powerful people to turn the cheek.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Professor Peabody's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,385x in 1,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EPA Withholding Mine Spill Info From State AGs

Michael Bastasch | 5:18 PM 08/12/2015

The EPA is not letting the public know the names of the government contractors responsible for spilling three million gallons of toxic wastewater from a southern Colorado mine. The agency is holding the information close — so close, the Colorado attorney general’s office doesn’t have it.

A spokesman with the Colorado attorney general’s office told The Daily Caller News Foundation the EPA had not disclosed the names of the federal contractor that caused millions of gallons of wastewater into the Animas River — leaked contaminants include zinc, copper, cadmium, iron, lead and aluminum.

New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez said she would not rule out suing the Obama administration in order to hold it to the same standards as a private company that caused an environmental catastrophe.

“Right now we have people preparing for a lawsuit if that is what we need to do,” Martinez said in a recent television interview.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/12/ep...rom-state-ags/
    Why do I smell the stench of crony capitalism here? It appears to me that the Obama Administration and or the EPA is protecting one of their own. Imagine a state or county hiding the name of a contractor who perpetrated an environmental disaster of this magnitude? The DOJ would be ALL OVER it. Alas, they aren't. I guess environmental justice is only for those whom aren't popular or didn't donate enough to the right people.
    We must have the clarity of vision to see the difference between what is essential and what is merely desirable, and then the courage to bring our government back under control and make it acceptable to the people. - Ronald Reagan, 1980 Nomination Acceptance Speech

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Professor Peabody For This Useful Post:

AeonPax (08-24-2015),Peter1469 (08-24-2015)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another model of Government efficiency. I'll bet at the end of the environmental crisis not one single EPA administrator is disciplined let alone fired. I can only hope that every single person, city, county and state downstream of the toxic release sues the EPA for each and every penny of damage their incompetence causes. Then Congress forces them to take the money from their budget, NOT the treasury. Make them cut their operation to the bone to pay for their incompetence....lay offs...too bad. No bonuses....too bad, no conferences at luxury hotels.....too bad, cut rate travel...oh well.
    We must have the clarity of vision to see the difference between what is essential and what is merely desirable, and then the courage to bring our government back under control and make it acceptable to the people. - Ronald Reagan, 1980 Nomination Acceptance Speech

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Professor Peabody For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-24-2015)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    southwest88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 826x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gone with the flow

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Peabody View Post
    Why do I smell the stench of crony capitalism here? It appears to me that the Obama Administration and or the EPA is protecting one of their own. Imagine a state or county hiding the name of a contractor who perpetrated an environmental disaster of this magnitude? The DOJ would be ALL OVER it. Alas, they aren't. I guess environmental justice is only for those whom aren't popular or didn't donate enough to the right people.
    Well, first of all, it's hardly crony capitalism; there's no capitalism involved @ all when it's internal government, except maybe for the EPA contractee. EPA has been pushing to 25 years to declare that site a Superfund site, so the person you really want to pursue is Pres. W hisself. The village of Silverton, CO has opposed Superfund designation, & in fact they're still trying to do so - although they've now apparently seen the sludge, & are petitioning for some kind of federal funding. Although the feds (my opinion) are likely to simply point them to EPA & the normal site remediation process in any event. See http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...al-funds-after

"Silverton, San Juan County seek federal funds after Colorado mine spill

"Local officials say Superfund designation is on table after EPA spill

By Jesse Paul and Mark Matthews
    The Denver PostPosted: 08/25/2015 11:15:09 AM MDT9 Comments | Updated: about 9 hours ago

"After two decades resisting Environmental Protection Agency funds for cleanup of the festering mines that dot its surroundings, Silverton on Tuesday announced it is seeking federal help.

"A joint resolution passed by the town's board and the San Juan County Commission says officials will work with neighboring communities to petition Congress for federal disaster dollars they hope will address leaching sites quickly."

(My emphasis - More detail @ the URL)

The villagers apparently felt that Superfund status would be a detriment to the local tourist economy - reminds me of the village in Jaws - that didn't work out very well. We'll have to see how this pans out - but CO (& the mountain SW generally) is dotted with lots of abandoned mines, boreholes, etc. The problem isn't going to go away - well, not by itself, not in any way that we would want to see. The SW US needs every drop of water it can get, for ag & population & what manufacturing there is.

Whatever it costs, we'll have to solve or @ least sequestrate the problems, pending a cost-effective & reasonably thorough long-term solution.

Although I must say I do like Silverton et al. now petitioning Congress directly for help - trying to sidestep EPA & the Superfund process entirely. Apparently they're going to plead that the dog ate their homework, & throw themselves upon the mercy of the court of public opinion. A laugh, because of course vox populi has no mercy, & in fact is on to the next new bloody thing - the murder & suicide by apparently disgruntled former on-air TV personality in VA being just the latest notice that the public's interest in the mine water release is - ebbing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to southwest88 For This Useful Post:

Safety (08-26-2015)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The EPA got it wrong ... it doesn't happen every month like others, but they got this one wrong.

I'd match their record against Big Oil and Coal Mine any day of the week, ans twice on Sundays

Next!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
    Well, first of all, it's hardly crony capitalism; there's no capitalism involved @ all when it's internal government, except maybe for the EPA contractee. EPA has been pushing to 25 years to declare that site a Superfund site, so the person you really want to pursue is Pres. W hisself. The village of Silverton, CO has opposed Superfund designation, & in fact they're still trying to do so - although they've now apparently seen the sludge, & are petitioning for some kind of federal funding. Although the feds (my opinion) are likely to simply point them to EPA & the normal site remediation process in any event. See http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...al-funds-after

"Silverton, San Juan County seek federal funds after Colorado mine spill

"Local officials say Superfund designation is on table after EPA spill

By Jesse Paul and Mark Matthews
    The Denver PostPosted: 08/25/2015 11:15:09 AM MDT9 Comments | Updated: about 9 hours ago

"After two decades resisting Environmental Protection Agency funds for cleanup of the festering mines that dot its surroundings, Silverton on Tuesday announced it is seeking federal help.

"A joint resolution passed by the town's board and the San Juan County Commission says officials will work with neighboring communities to petition Congress for federal disaster dollars they hope will address leaching sites quickly."

(My emphasis - More detail @ the URL)

The villagers apparently felt that Superfund status would be a detriment to the local tourist economy - reminds me of the village in Jaws - that didn't work out very well. We'll have to see how this pans out - but CO (& the mountain SW generally) is dotted with lots of abandoned mines, boreholes, etc. The problem isn't going to go away - well, not by itself, not in any way that we would want to see. The SW US needs every drop of water it can get, for ag & population & what manufacturing there is.

Whatever it costs, we'll have to solve or @ least sequestrate the problems, pending a cost-effective & reasonably thorough long-term solution.

Although I must say I do like Silverton et al. now petitioning Congress directly for help - trying to sidestep EPA & the Superfund process entirely. Apparently they're going to plead that the dog ate their homework, & throw themselves upon the mercy of the court of public opinion. A laugh, because of course vox populi has no mercy, & in fact is on to the next new bloody thing - the murder & suicide by apparently disgruntled former on-air TV personality in VA being just the latest notice that the public's interest in the mine water release is - ebbing.
    It's crony capitalism when the Government hires incompetent contractors to do a job......did they get a kick back?

Let me ask you.....You hire a contractor to build you a deck on the back of your house giving him half and the rest due when the job is finished. The first time you step on it, it collapses. Do you give him the rest of the money owed or not, the job is finished?

BTW 25 yearsw falls right through William Jefferson Clintons presidency.
    Last edited by Professor Peabody; 08-26-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    southwest88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 826x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cue Slim Pickins a ridin' that H-bomb down

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Peabody View Post
    It's crony capitalism when the Government hires incompetent contractors to do a job......did they get a kick back?

BTW 25 yearsw falls right through William Jefferson Clintons presidency.
    On crony, I bow to your apparently superior knowledge.

On 25 years ago - lessee, 2015 less 25 - y'know, I get 1990 on my scratchpad. TMK, that makes it Pres. H. Bush, my bad. (He was pres. 1988 - 1992, 'cording to my reference book. Course, that could be wrong too, I suppose.) & here I thought it was W. Yah, ya got me, pard. No flies on you.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
    On crony, I bow to your apparently superior knowledge. On 25 years ago - lessee, 2015 less 25 - y'know, I get 1990 on my scratchpad. TMK, that makes it Pres. H. Bush, my bad. (He was pres. 1988 - 1992, 'cording to my reference book. Course, that could be wrong too, I suppose.) & here I thought it was W. Yah, ya got me, pard. No flies on you.
    As I said it spans Clinton's Presidency, what did he do about it?

+ Reply to Thread