Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    And you posted it in the gender, sex and race room, for whatever reason.

Brilliant!
    To be fair, Peter probably would have moved it here.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mark III's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,315x in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I DID NOT place it in this section. Someone moved it.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark III View Post
    I DID NOT place it in this section. Someone moved it.
    Two threads were merged.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    It's my go-to move when someone is being dishonest and obtuse and refuses to admit they are wrong, which is a routine occurrence when debating you on certain topics. You simply cannot acknowledge that your position is untenable, and demonstrably so. The fact is that people have been calling for violence against cops for as long as there have been cops, and in that same time period, cops have been dying at far higher rates than they are now, so it's clear that this "war on cops" meme is nothing more than emotion-laden opportunism at its finest.

As for the graph, and your refusal to honestly address the evidence contained therein, you have been moving the goalposts the entire time, which is another tactic you like to employ when you're losing a debate. I posted the total amount of annualized cop deaths and you noted that it wasn't on a per capita basis. So I provided the per capita data and then you moved the goalposts yet again. No matter what evidence or logic you are confronted with, you will simply worm your way out of it using sophistry, and bad sophistry at that.
    I wasn't being dishonest or obtuse. I was simply telling you that your precious graph doesn't point to anything but cops who were killed by extremists does.

Never moved the goal post not do I do that. I said I wondered if it was per capita. That's it. Neither statistic makes a point for or against.

For or example more cops survive shootings today than 30 years ago due to say advances in medical and body armor. That was my point and you jumped into the elitist insults. You are the Libertarian version of Ransom.
    Last edited by Private Pickle; 09-15-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sure...

Mark has a knack for being highly unlikable, maybe it was karma.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark III View Post
    There is an endless supply of blabbering on this forum. I'm guessing a good nine out of ten posts are content free, just pointless regurgitating and lame snark. Since most of you seem to enjoy it, I suppose it is harmless enough.

I will recap the initial point of the discussion. A contributor to The Daily Beast said he attends a police academy where instructors spend a lot of time talking about the war on cops, and one of them mentioned Obama being in Alaska while cops are "dying left and right".

The writer mentions the FACT that the number of police that have been shot to death has been down this year, and is down overall since Obama took office. Not to give Obama credit, but to say his presence in the oval office has not led to cop killings.

A couple geniuses here suggest that the "war" on cops is not a shooting war, BUT a shooting war is exactly what the instructor mentioned in the article meant when he said cops are dying left and right.

Like other forums , this one is filled with people who are simply not careful with what they say. They are happy just to say whatever and see no need to try and be accurate. What can the rest of us do?

I do give kudos to the few people who posted the info indicating that the number of cops shot to death is on a downward trend for many years now. It no doubt goes with the fact that violent crime has been on an overall downward trend for many years, although higher in some places this year.

I really don't have any faith, after observing this forum for a few weeks, that some of you will ever be more careful with the "facts" you strew around, so , yes, "it is what it is". lol
    By that logic war is now defined by how many people are killed. What's the cut off?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,475x in 15,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You posted some numbers with no link. I guess you guys are even.
    I gave you the numbers. I gave you the source of the numbers. What do you want me to do, grind the information up and give it to you in an enema?

I have always wondered about people who demand LINKS to every little bit of information put forth to them. Do you do it because you are lazy? Do you do it because you are stupid? Do you do it because you don't know how to use a search engine?

Explain it to me. I personally, have no problem if someone posts something I am not sure is accurate taking 10 or 15 seconds and looking for references to either confirm or refute it.

I suspect people who constantly demand links do so because they simply are incapable of processing information and verifying it themselves. That must really suck.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Captain Obvious;1255596]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

Bull$#@!

You're a cop hater so you're not going to get this but cops need to be a protected class in this respect for what I thought was obvious reasons. Yes, the reasons are obvious.

There are problems in law enforcement as well as the legal system, maybe addressing root causes instead of scapegoating is a better approach. I know you're smarter than that.
    Correction - a corruption and double standard hater. Some cops are great.

Cops already have the protection - they are issued weaponry and armor. They are given training in how to use both. And if they need, they have a magical device that summons more cops if needed, a radio.

But when you write laws saying that it is extra bad to assault X class of citizen you are creating a division of superiority and inferiority - a Title of Nobility.

And yes, I very much would love to strike at the root cause of these shenanigans, however you have to dig through the earth to get to the roots.

When the root cause is protected by the symptoms... Both gotta go.

Thing is this, people are getting the law enforcement they deserve. The common morals of the average man are slipping, cops, judges, and politicians all come from somewhere - our own town.

Until we become an honorable and virtuous people once more, we shall be subject to barbaric rulers, for the simple reason that we are becoming a nation of barbarians.

Sad part is, a lot of decent people are going to get caught up in this when they never had an ax to grind in the first place.

I'm not even bothering to appeal the decision after what happened to me. I am letting it go, and changing jobs so I don't have to be out late at night anymore. That way there are less opportunities for me to interact with them.

I mean I could go cop hunting, prosecutor and judge hunting too. But really, what does that solve? Not a damn thing.

There are better things to do with my life. But that doesn't mean I can't learn from what happened to me.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.
    Last edited by Cthulhu; 09-15-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

+ Reply to Thread