Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,887x in 4,879 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valley ranch View Post
    Greetings, Re: Horse manure, we put raised beds in the greenhouse, wifey put a 4" layer of fresh horse manure down with about 10" of soil on top of that. I said it might be too fresh and burn the plants, but she insisted. It worked very well with no harm to the plants, most grown from seed.

Etheral, We have a greenhouse and grew our veggies here at, 6800ft, when we got the lower ranch we built a greenhouse down there, in the high desert, and grow most all down there now, because of the longer growing season.

To use the greenhouse up here during winter it would have to be heated, may do that, there some inventive way of heating greenhouses on youtube. Rocket Stove is said not to work too well.

We spend half the year, winter in the mountains, and summers in the high desert, taking the animals with us.

You mentioned, chickens: I built a incubator , it's pretty simple, and we gathered eggs from our chickens and hatched them in the house. I made a plucker, also simple, to process fryers we raise for the table. The more you can grow the better.
    In my opinion:

Horse manure is very forgiving and breaks down quickly when mixed with garden soil.

Chicken manure otoh can be hot if not properly aged
    Last edited by Mac-7; 01-11-2016 at 07:14 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac-7 For This Useful Post:

valley ranch (01-11-2016)

+ Reply to Thread