Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,561x in 94,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chemical exposure linked to rising diabetes, obesity risk

Chemical exposure linked to rising diabetes, obesity risk

The chemicals in everyday household items are poisoning us. Science is catching up to what many of us have known for a long time.

Emerging evidence ties endocrine-disrupting chemical exposure to two of the biggest public health threats facing society - diabetes and obesity, according to the executive summary of an upcoming Scientific Statement issued today by the Endocrine Society.

The statement's release comes as Society experts are addressing a global meeting, the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM4), in Geneva, Switzerland, on the importance of using scientific approaches to limit health risks of EDC exposure.

The statement builds upon the Society's groundbreaking 2009 report, which examined the state of scientific evidence on endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) and the risks posed to human health. In the ensuing years, additional research has found that exposure is associated with increased risk of developing diabetes and obesity. Mounting evidence also indicates EDC exposure is connected to infertility, hormone-related cancers, neurological issues and other disorders.

EDCs contribute to health problems by mimicking, blocking or otherwise interfering with the body's natural hormones. By hijacking the body's chemical messengers, EDCs can alter the way cells develop and grow.

Known EDCs include bisphenol A (BPA) found in food can linings and cash register receipts, phthalates found in plastics and cosmetics, flame retardants and pesticides. The chemicals are so common that nearly every person on Earth has been exposed to one or more. An economic analysis published in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism in March estimated that EDC exposure likely costs the European Union €157 billion ($209 billion) a year in actual health care expenses and lost earning potential.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Mister D (09-30-2015)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While there may be some validity to this I think it perhaps sends the wrong message. I'm going to say what many of us have also known for a long time: it's not a conspiracy that you're fat. It's not the fault of someone else. It's not society. It's not the chemicals the bogeyman slipped into your food. You're a fat ass because you eat too much, eat the wrong stuff and you're $#@!ing lazy.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (10-18-2017),resister (10-17-2017)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    While there may be some validity to this I think it perhaps sends the wrong message. I'm going to say what many of us have also known for a long time: it's not a conspiracy that you're fat. It's not the fault of someone else. It's not society. It's not the chemicals the bogeyman slipped into your food. You're a fat ass because you eat too much, eat the wrong stuff and you're $#@!ing lazy.
    That is simply overly simplistic. It is true for some, but not all.

EDCs contribute to health problems by mimicking, blocking or otherwise interfering with the body's natural hormones. By hijacking the body's chemical messengers, EDCs can alter the way cells develop and grow.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That is simply overly simplistic. It is true for some, but not all.
    I could say the same in response which was precisely my point. I don't for a moment believe that eating habits and lifestyle are not the primary cause of obesity. Not for a second.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I could say the same in response which was precisely my point. I don't for a moment believe that eating habits and lifestyle are not the primary cause of obesity. Not for a second.
    OK.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regarding BPA, the European Food Safety Authority recently concluded that there is very little dietary risk involved.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/3978

I take note of these things and amend my habits to a certain extent. I ride the fence as it were. I started buying crushed tomato in cartons, for example, but I'm not goign to live in fear of canned food.

~Alain de Benoist

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-21-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I support your decision 100%.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I support your decision 100%.
    You should. And you should stop worrying so much. Ironically, it will take years off of your life.

~Alain de Benoist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (10-18-2017)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. I don't really worry about it. I eat healthy when I can. If I am on the move, and unhealthy is necessary I will get by OK.

Calories in v. calories out is perfect for amateurs. More is needed for some people. If you have health issues for instance. If you are an athlete as another instance.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Sleep apnea increases risk of Type II diabetes...

Sleep apnea may up risk of type 2 diabetes
    October 14, 2016 - Obstructive sleep apnea is linked with an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, new research shows. The findings support recommendations from the International Diabetes Federation that patients with one condition be screened for the other, too, the research teams notes in the journal Sleep Medicine.
    Sleep apnea occurs when a person's airway becomes partially or completely blocked during sleep, and as a result, breathing intermittently stops and starts. About 13 percent of men and 6 percent of women have moderate to severe undiagnozed sleep apnea, the researchers say. "Over the last two decades, evidence has been accruing that sleep apnea may be associated with insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and type 2 diabetes," study leader Mako Nagayoshi of Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Science in Japan told Reuters Health by email. Past studies tying sleep apnea to diabetes were limited by a small number of participants and other factors, Nagayoshi and colleagues say.

For the new study, they used data from 1,453 participants with an average age of 63. All participants underwent in-home sleep studies and did not have diabetes when the research began. Based on the sleep studies, the researchers categorized the participants as being normal sleepers or having mild, moderate or severe sleep apnea. After roughly 13 years, 285 people developed type 2 diabetes. Those with severe obstructive sleep apnea at the start of the study were about 70 percent more likely to develop diabetes than those classified as normal. The increased risk remained even when the researchers only included people who were obese. About one in 10 adults have diabetes, according to the World Health Organization. Most have type 2 diabetes, which occurs when the body can’t make or process enough of the hormone insulin.

Obesity increases the risk of both sleep apnea and diabetes, said Paul E. Peppard, a sleep disorder researcher at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in Madison. The new study and past research suggest there is a direct link between obstructive sleep apnea and diabetes, but ironclad evidence that it's behind a significant portion of diabetes cases does not yet exist, said Peppard, who was not part of the new study “These findings underscore the need to prevent sleep apnea and screen for sleep apnea in patients particularly at risk for developing diabetes – e.g., overweight and physically inactive people,” he told Reuters Health by email. “Behaviors such as healthy weight maintenance and reducing time in sedentary activities would simultaneously reduce the risk (of) developing sleep apnea and diabetes.”

People with diabetes should also be screened for sleep apnea, and people with sleep apnea should be screened for diabetes, said Dr. Rashmi Nisha Aurora, a sleep medicine expert at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore. “Healthcare providers need to be aware of the association and educate their patients and the community," Aurora told Reuters Health by email. Ongoing research is still investigating whether treating sleep apnea reduces diabetes risk, said Aurora, who was also not involved in the study.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sleep-apn...69.html?ref=gs

+ Reply to Thread