User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Inside the human blood-drinking, ‘real vampire’ community of New Orleans

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,525x in 94,386 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside the human blood-drinking, ‘real vampire’ community of New Orleans

Inside the human blood-drinking, ‘real vampire’ community of New Orleans

An interesting story about people who drink blood because they think it keeps them healthy.

John Edgar Browning met his first “real vampire” in a Gothic apparel store.

A doctoral candidate at Louisiana State University at the time, Browning had already been on the hunt for several months. He was talking to the store owner of Wicked Orleans, a Gothic-style clothing and leather shop in New Orleans’s French Quarter, when a middle-aged woman and two teenage boys walked through the door.

The store owner stopped mid-sentence. This woman, he motioned, was one of the people Browning was looking for.

Nervously, Browning approached her and started talking to her about his ethnographic study of “real vampires.” To be clear, these aren’t people who possess the supernatural powers that we associate with the likes of Count Dracula, but rather individuals who claim to have a medical condition that requires them to drink blood (human or animal) in order to sustain themselves.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Gypsy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 666x in 435 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I worked for the NRA, I met a co-worker that identified himself as a vampire. He had the filed teeth, wore the black clothing and had the pale skin. I smoked back then and often found myself in the smoking area with him. Our co-workers were freaked out by him and shunned him. I decided to talk to him and 'see what the deal' was. Yeah, he was freaky to talk to. He explained that he belonged to a small local group of vampires that fed off of donors. I asked him why he did it and he said he had an urge, a need that was only satisfied when he fed. He said he felt revitalized afterwards.
    He said it began when he injured himself as a child and licked his blood. He began cutting himself to lick his own blood. In college he met other people like him and that was when he branched out to donors.
    I asked him why he filed his teeth and he said that it freaks people out lol
    Yeah, he freaked me out too. But I'v e always been one to talk to people that no one else will.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-06-2015)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 771
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,643x in 1,279 Posts
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has always been a GOTH underclass in society. These are kids who feel like misfits, and hold a grudge against strait society. They fancy themselves after witches and warlocks, dress in all black, and eat up stuff by Aliester Crowley, William Burroughs, and Anton Le Vey, of the Church of Satan. They love drugs and death metal.

I was a Rebel Without a Clue back in the 50's and worshipped James Dean, and the Outlaw Biker culture, then Hippiedom in the 60's. Its just looking for some kind of identity, when you have no father figure to model yourself after.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    When I worked for the NRA, I met a co-worker that identified himself as a vampire. He had the filed teeth, wore the black clothing and had the pale skin. I smoked back then and often found myself in the smoking area with him. Our co-workers were freaked out by him and shunned him. I decided to talk to him and 'see what the deal' was. Yeah, he was freaky to talk to. He explained that he belonged to a small local group of vampires that fed off of donors. I asked him why he did it and he said he had an urge, a need that was only satisfied when he fed. He said he felt revitalized afterwards.
    He said it began when he injured himself as a child and licked his blood. He began cutting himself to lick his own blood. In college he met other people like him and that was when he branched out to donors.
    I asked him why he filed his teeth and he said that it freaks people out lol
    Yeah, he freaked me out too. But I'v e always been one to talk to people that no one else will.
    better keep these handy:

People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Granny says, "Dat's right - dey don't call it deepest, darkest Africa fer nothin'...

Vampire Rumors Spark Mob Attacks in Malawi
    October 23, 2017 — Malawi has seen a surge in mob violence amid rumors of vampires. At least nine people have been stoned to death since the start of September, and police have arrested 140 people accused of taking part in vigilante justice.
    On Oct.19, an angry mob in Blantyre stoned to death a 22-year-old epileptic man suspected of being a ritual blood sucker. The vigilantes also stoned to death another person in a separate incident the same day.

Malawi president visits area

Aida Chikopa told her story directly to President Peter Mutharika when he visited her area. She says "it happened to me on 19th September. When I was asleep around 8 o’clock in the evening, I was surprised to see blood coming from my nose. And blood was all over my mat. I asked my husband to light a torch to see what was happening. He went outside the house but could not see and find anything. But I was very weak that night."

The president asked her to clarify, but Chikopa repeated the same statement. Police and medics say the rumors are a hoax. Lexten Kachama is the inspector general of the Malawi Police Service. "You can have nose bleeding, in Chichewa we call it nkafuno. If you get that nkafuno you quickly rush to believe that blood sucker came and started sucking me blood — that is not true."

Rumors start in September

The rumors started in early September and have spread to seven districts of the country. Residents told VOA they believe the blood suckers use modern technology and magic to immobilize victims late at night with a chemical, then drain their blood before vanishing. Government authorities are yet to establish the origin of the rumors, but residents believe they came from neighboring Mozambique.

Kalepa Mawele is the chairperson for Phalombe district council. He says "here in Phalombe we have bordered Mozambique. We started hearing about rumors of blood suckers from Mozambique. And now, they have spread in all areas of our six traditional authorities here in Phalombe." Some critics have tied the rumors to the recent nullification of vagrancy laws that prevented people from loitering on the streets at night.

Peace Corps volunteers withdrawn

Most of those killed in the mob attacks were strangers to the area where they were attacked. But the executive director of Center for Human Rights Education, Victor Mhango, disagrees with that premise. "I think we are primitive society. I think the belief in Juju that makes us believe that this is happening. The police have challenged the nation that if you have evidence, show us, we are going to arrest them. People are just creating that, maybe they have got some other motives." In the meantime, U.N. agencies have withdrawn their workers from affected districts, and the U.S. embassy has temporarily pulled out Peace Corps volunteers.Residents report nocturnal visits by the alleged vampires.

https://www.voanews.com/a/vampire-ru...i/4082839.html
    See also:

Malawi President Cracks Down on Vampires, Witchcraft After Lynchings
    October 13, 2017 — Malawi President Peter Mutharika on Friday warned suspected vampires to stop terrorizing people and told village chiefs to stamp down on witchcraft.
    His calls came as a vampire scare in two districts triggered mob violence and left six people dead. Lynch mobs accusing people of vampirism have been on the rampage since mid-September. "If people are using witchcraft to suck people's blood, I will deal with them and I ask them to stop doing that with immediate effect," Mutharika told a gathering of leaders in Mulanje, a district with the highest incidences.

Malawi's President Peter Mutharika is pictured at the Institute of Peace in Washington

On Monday, the United Nations pulled staff out of two districts that have been swept up in the violence. Belief in witchcraft is widespread in rural Malawi, one of the world's poorest countries, where many aid agencies and NGOs work. A spate of vigilante violence linked to a vampire rumors also erupted in Malawi in 2002.

https://www.voanews.com/a/malawi-pre...s/4069571.html
    Last edited by waltky; 10-23-2017 at 07:26 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-23-2017)

+ Reply to Thread