Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lance Armstrong Stops Denying He Doped

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/...cycling-career

AUSTIN, Texas -- Lance Armstrong said Thursday night he is finished fighting a barrage of drug charges from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, putting his unprecedented string of seven Tour de France titles at risk along with his legacy as one of the greatest cyclists in history.

The decision sets up a likely lifetime ban from the sport and the possibility that Armstrong will be stripped of his signature achievement -- the extraordinary run of Tour titles he won from 1999-2005.

Armstrong, who retired last year, declined to enter arbitration -- his last option -- because he said he was weary of fighting accusations that have dogged him for years. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests that he has passed as proof of his innocence.
    Kinda seems like he's admitting to it now...can't say I'm surprised.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm Lance armstrong brutha, A bicyclist? At the Start of FootBall Talk and when the rest of the Sports World was talking about what Serena Willams wore on the Lettermann Show?.....and here I thought you would be talking about that Idol of Yours from ya most faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavorite team in Da Whole Wide World. U-knows ya boy with the Jissum.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, you're confusing me with D. He's the Brady fan, remember? *smack*

Anyway I posted up some Brady pics yesterday or the day before in the Week 1 thread and they just sat there...you avoiding my threads or something?!?

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carygrant's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 282x in 246 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been a gripping saga and despite Lance's statement I find it hard to believe that he will give in for long .
    I have no conviction whether he is guilty or not . I await the detail evidence with an open mind but suspect the worst for Lance , Cycling and sport in general .

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    No, you're confusing me with D. He's the Brady fan, remember? *smack*

Anyway I posted up some Brady pics yesterday or the day before in the Week 1 thread and they just sat there...you avoiding my threads or something?!?

Nah.....I hit it up already. Unless you went back in afterwards and I didnt see it up as Subscribed thread.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Uncle Ferd says ol' Lance done really screwed the pooch...

Lance Armstrong loses bid to halt $100 million lawsuit
    February 13, 2017 — A federal judge on Monday refused to block the government's $100 million lawsuit against Lance Armstrong, putting the former cyclist on course for trial in a 2010 case stemming from his performance-enhancing drug use.
    The lawsuit was filed by Armstrong's former U.S. Postal Service teammate Floyd Landis. The federal government joined in 2013 after Armstrong publicly admitted he cheated to win the Tour de France seven times from 1999-2005. Armstrong was stripped of those titles and banned from competition. Armstrong has also taken huge hits financially, losing all his major sponsors and being forced to pay more than $10 million in damages and settlements in a series of lawsuits . The Landis lawsuit would be the biggest by far, and the ruling from U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper in Washington was a major setback for Armstrong with a trial most likely in the fall.

Landis, himself a former doping cheat who was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title, sued Armstrong under the federal False Claims Act, alleging Armstrong and his team committed fraud against the government when they cheated while riding under the Postal Service banner. According to court records, the contract paid the team, which was operated by Tailwind Sports Corp., about $32 million from 2000 to 2004. Armstrong got nearly $13.5 million. The law allows Landis and the government to sue to get that money back and for "treble" damages, or triple the amount, and Armstrong could be forced to pay all of it. Landis stands to receive up to 25 percent of any damages awarded.

Lance Armstrong during a news conference in Galveston, Texas. A federal judge ruled Monday, Feb. 13, 2017 that the government's $100 million lawsuit against Lance Armstrong can proceed. The decision from U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper in Washington sets the nearly 7-year-old case on course for jury trial. The lawsuit was filed in 2010 by Armstrong's former U.S. Postal Service teammate Floyd Landis, who could collect up to 25 percent.

Armstrong claims he and the team don't owe the Postal Service anything because the agency made far more off the sponsorship than it paid. Armstrong's lawyers have introduced internal studies for the agency that calculated benefits in media exposure topping $100 million. The government has countered that the negative fallout from the doping scandal tainted the agency because of its association with Armstrong. Cooper's ruling said Armstrong makes a "persuasive case," but that any decision on damages should be left to a jury. "Giving Armstrong 'credit' for the benefits he delivered while using (performance-enhancing drugs) could be viewed as an unjust reward for having successfully concealed his doping for so long," Cooper wrote. "(But) disregarding any benefits USPS received from the sponsorship could bestow the government with an undeserved windfall. The same could be said of Landis, whose role in this entire affair some would view as less than pure."

Landis attorney Paul D. Scott said he was delighted" to see the case move toward trial. "The finish line for Mr. Armstrong ... is fast approaching," Scott said. Armstrong attorney Elliot Peters said the court's decision laid out Armstrong's case, even as it let the lawsuit proceed. "There is no actual evidence of any quantifiable financial harm," to the Postal Service, Peters said. "So the government may now proceed to a trial that, as a practical matter, it cannot win." Armstrong had been one of the most popular sports figures on the planet before his cheating confession.

MORE

+ Reply to Thread