Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This a part of what"thank you for service"means.May the perp suffer greatly
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a great seed that deserved our good will and maybe a bridge between the divided parties. Thanks for contributing to the animosity by adding your partisan comment.

BTW - I'm not a leftist, I'm an Independent who agrees that there is more focus on the negative when it comes to our law enforcement rather than the uplifting stories posted here to show that Police Officers do great things.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Families of Slain Officers assisted by Assist the Officer...

Charities Step Up for Families of Slain Officers
    December 20, 2016 - On Tuesday, Dallas city officials and two private foundations will announce that they raised a total of $10 million in the aftermath of the downtown attack.
    Emily Thompson didn't think much about finances after her new husband was killed in the July 7 ambush. She didn't think much about anything beyond her grief. "It was probably a couple weeks because my mind was so jumbled for quite a while. Everybody was the adults in Charlie Brown," she said. "Everything that they said was 'wah-wah-wah.' I was completely detached." But now, Thompson, who is also a police officer, won't have to think about money. She won't have to worry about working overtime and being away from her 2-year-old son and paying her mortgage.

Private donors from all over the world have given the families a soft landing in the hardest of times. On Tuesday, Dallas city officials and two private foundations will announce that they raised a total of $10 million in the aftermath of the downtown attack. That money will go into trusts for the family members of the five officers killed: Brent Thompson, a Dallas Area Rapid Transit officer, 43; Dallas police Sgt. Michael Smith, 55; Senior Cpl. Lorne Ahrens, 48; Officers Michael Krol, 40, and Patrick Zamarripa, 32. Some of the money will go to the nine people injured in the attack.

New York-based Tunnel to Towers Foundation announced Monday that it would pay off the mortgages of the families of the five officers killed or give them money to buy homes.

All told, the Dallas Foundation and the Assist the Officer Foundation received thousands of contributions from all 50 states, Australia, the United Kingdom and Italy. Donations ranged from $5 to more than $250,000. "It has been amazing to see the generosity," Emily Thompson said. More details will be announced at a 1 p.m. news conference featuring Mayor Mike Rawlings, interim Police Chief David Pughes, DART Police Chief J.D. Spiller and foundation leaders.

In a prepared statement, Rawlings said he is "so honored by the amount of people who have stepped forward to properly assist our fallen and injured officers." "We owe a tremendous amount of gratitude to the officers who lost or risked their lives to keep us safe," he said. "Out of one of the darkest days in our city's history, we have seen an incredible outpouring of love and support from organizations and individuals all over the world."

MORE
    See also:

Officers Replace Girl's Stolen Birthday Presents
    December 20, 2016 - Two big-hearted police officers saved a little girl's fourth birthday by replacing gifts that were stolen from the Graniteville family's minivan over the weekend.
    On Saturday, the Sietz family celebrated little Samantha (Sammi) Sietz's birthday with a party at the Staten Island Children's Museum in Livingston. "It was a perfect day. Sammi was so excited," said her mother, Kim Briano Sietz. She said the party helped take her mind off her late husband, Matthew, who died three years ago of a brain aneurysm; he would have turned 46 on Saturday.

With Sammi's birthday presents still wrapped and out of sight in the back of the family's Sienna minivan, the family stopped at Perkin's restaurant in Graniteville on the way home, Sietz said. They were inside the restaurant from 7:30 until about 9 p.m., she said. When the family returned to their minivan, they found the rear passenger window had been shattered and someone had taken all of Sammi's gifts, leaving behind only the discarded wrapping paper.

Two big-hearted police officers saved a little girl's fourth birthday by replacing gifts that were stolen from the Graniteville family's minivan over the weekend.

The whole family, including Sammi's older siblings, Sarah, 21, Shawn, 18, and Joshua, 14, and Sietz's mother-in-law, Marsha, were horrified; Sammi was heartbroken, Sietz said. Officers Frank Callaghan and Michael McAvoy of the 121st Precinct responded to the scene and took a report, including the family's address. "Sammi just looked at them and asked if they could find her presents. They said they'd see what they could do," Sietz said.

On Sunday, the family returned home from dropping off Sietz's mother-in-law to find an NYPD patrol car sitting in front of their Graniteville home. Callaghan and McAvoy got out of the car and popped open the trunk to reveal dozens of new toys, which they helped carry into the house. "Sammi was so happy. She said, 'Look Momma, they found my presents,'" Sietz said. "These officers, it was like they were sent to me to restore my faith, that there are some thoughtful people in the world and they outnumber the bad." Sietz said she wanted to make sure the two officers were recognized for their good deed. "They made our day," she said. "They gave my daughter, and all of us, a gift we will never forget."

http://www.officer.com/news/12289075...thday-presents

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving credit where credit is due...

Conn. Trooper Helps Deliver Baby on Highway
    December 26, 2016 - Trooper First Class Greg Capps said he had just pulled over into the breakdown lane on Route 2 when dispatch called to tell him a 911 call had come in reporting that a car with a woman in labor had pulled over near exit 5D.
    A state trooper busy keeping the roads safe for holiday travelers took on another important task on Saturday: He delivered a baby. It happened on Route 2 in Glastonbury about 9:15 a.m. Trooper Kelly Grant, a state police spokeswoman said Itohan Oyabure-Okafur was on her way to St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center, being driven by her brother, Chris Broderick, when she realized her baby was ready to be born. Trooper First Class Greg Capps said he had just pulled over into the breakdown lane on Route 2 when dispatch called to tell him a 911 call had come in reporting that a car with a woman in labor had pulled over near exit 5D.

Trooper First Class Greg Capps said he had just pulled over into the breakdown lane on Route 2 when dispatch called to tell him a 911 call had come in reporting that a car with a woman in labor had pulled over near exit 5D.

When Capps got to the car, he said, the baby's head was already crowning and all he had time to do was put on a pair of latex gloves before delivering the baby. "She pushed one more time and the baby came out," he said. "I barely had time to get the gloves on." Not long afterward, Oyabure-Okafur was resting at St. Francis with her new baby boy, 6 pound, two-ounce Ebenezer Okafur. "It was a great childbirth," Capps said. "Mom did a great job." Ebenezer was born four days early, and already has an 18-month-old brother, according to St. Francis spokeswoman Fiona Phelan.

Capps, a trooper for more than 15 years and the father of three grown children, said that he has been teaching child-birthing for years and that his training just kicked in. He said he he texted his children to let them know about his interesting morning. As for the 911 call, Capps urged anyone who ends up in an emergency situation to be aware of where they are on the road in order to give police a good location to find and assist them. Oyabure-Okafur is originally from Nigeria and lives in Hartford. She declined to be interviewed. Phelan said the family is doing well and enjoying the early Christmas gift.

http://www.officer.com/news/12290138...aby-on-highway
    See also:

Deputy, Wife Pay Off Student Lunch Balances
    December 22, 2016 - Cpl. Matt Stoner and his wife, Gabriela, paid off delinquent meal accounts for an entire high school in Gwinnett County.
    A Gwinnett County sheriff’s deputy and his wife decided to share their good fortune and help struggling families, the sheriff’s office said. Cpl. Matt Stoner and his wife, Gabriela, paid off delinquent meal accounts for an entire high school in Gwinnett County.

Cpl. Matt Stoner and his wife, Gabriela, paid off delinquent meal accounts for an entire high school in Gwinnett County.

Their family had quietly made the decision to not buy Christmas presents for each other this year, instead creating a special family memory by doing something to help others, the sheriff’s office shared on Facebook.

But when media outlets started asking questions, the Stoners admitted what they’d done to help students of Central Gwinnett High School in Lawrenceville. “We share their story of generosity in the hopes that it inspires others to do something kind for someone during this season of giving,” the Facebook post said.

http://www.officer.com/news/12289709...lunch-balances
    Related:

S.C. Trooper's Small Act Had Lasting Impact
    [u]December 22, 2016 - Sgt. Quest Hallman remembers little about the minor crash he worked in Lexington County more than a decade ago, but the little boy he posed with for a picture before continuing his patrol that day remembers.[/i]
    In fact, Hallman last week posed for another picture with that same boy, who is now 21 years old and has a uniform and badge just like Hallman's. After his S.C. Highway Patrol graduation last week, Trooper Joseph Ragsdale met the trooper who inspired him to join the agency. "He looked similar, but I didn't fully recognize him," Ragsdale said of their first interaction in 14 years. Ragsdale and his mother were in a minor crash in Lexington County when Ragsdale was in elementary school. Hallman responded to the crash and made a report.

Ragsdale, who said he always had a respect and fascination with law enforcement and the armed forces growing up, was too shy to ask Hallman to take a picture with him and asked his father to make the request. "He said, 'Of course,' " Ragsdale recalled. "It meant a lot of me. I know the trooper had a busy day. He took a few minutes just to stand right there and get a photo with me." Ragsdale said that as he grew older and considered a career in law enforcement, he kept remembering that picture. "I was so amazed at how the trooper held himself, his uniform that he wore, the kindness that he showed to my family," he said. "I wanted to be like that trooper that impacted my life. I want to go out and impact the lives in our community."

Trooper Joseph Ragsdale and Sgt. Quest Hallman

Robin Ragsdale said she could see a love in her son's eyes whenever he saw someone wearing a military or law enforcement uniform. "Anytime we were in a restaurant or a store and he'd see them, he'd always say, 'Mom, mom, can I go over there and shake his hand? Can I talk to him?' " she said. She tears up recalling her pride seeing Ragsdale graduate last week and said that with the pride comes fear for her son's safety as he patrols Richland County. "Like any mama whose son is going out there to serve and protect our country or the state of South Carolina, you're wary when he leaves out the door," she said. "Is he gonna come home at night?"

Hallman, who works now in Saluda, McCormick and Edgefield counties, says he was just doing his job by posing for a picture with the younger Ragsdale. He said he doesn't see himself as a role model. He implored the new trooper to "treat folks the same way I treated you." Hallman said law enforcement officers are trained always to be ready to act and to remember that no call is routine. "You're gonna have an impact on somebody one way or another, bad or good," Hallman said. "It might as well be good."

http://www.officer.com/news/12289670...-impact-on-boy

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Officer dies trying to save suicidal woman...

Nashville Officer Dies Trying to Save Woman
    February 2, 2017 - Nashville Police Officer Eric Mumaw died after jumping into the Cumberland River to rescue a suicidal woman early Thursday morning.
    A Nashville police officer died after jumping into the Cumberland River to rescue a suicidal woman Thursday morning. Officer Eric Mumaw responded to a report around 4:19 a.m. that that 40-year-old Juli Glisson was suicidal and at the Peeler Park boat ramp, according to The Tennesean. Mumaw and Officer Nick Diamond attempted to talk to the woman, who was in the driver's seat of a vehicle at the edge of the boat ramp.

Officer Eric Mumaw

The officers believed they had the woman convinced her to step out of the car and when the driver's door opened and the car went out of park and into the water. The officers raced into water to try to save Glisson, but didn't realize the edge of the submerged boat ramp ended and both officers fell into the water as Glisson remained in the driver’s seat. The motion of the vehicle caused the officers to be swept further out. Diamond attempted to grab Mumaw, but he slipped from his grasp. Both Diamond and Glisson were able to swim ashore. The body of the 44-year-old officer was recovered by a diver later in the morning.

Diamond is recovering and in stable condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Glisson was transported to TriStar Skyline Medical Center. "I know he died doing what he loves. He loved his midnight shift and he gave his life," Metro Police Chief Steve Anderson told reporters. "I know his whole detail is over there. They're grieving. They're going to miss him." Officials said that Mumaw, an 18-year veteran of the Nashville Police Department, twice received awards for acts of heroism. Funeral arrangements are pending.

http://www.officer.com/news/12301558...-to-save-woman
    See also:

Off-Duty Cop Helps Save Driver in Fiery Crash
    February 3, 2017 - New York Highway Patrol Officer Thomas Mutarelli and Elmont volunteer firefighter Jeffrey Dupoux happened to be nearby when Melissa Ortiz's SUV collided with a National Grid truck Wednesday morning.
    A Suffolk County police officer and an off-duty firefighter were hailed as “guardian angels” Wednesday for rescuing a Medford woman from a fiery crash on the Long Island Expressway, authorities said. Melissa Ortiz, 23, was heading east on the LIE in Ronkonkoma when her Ford Expedition collided with a National Grid truck at about 10:50 a.m. The impact caused the SUV to overturn and burst into flames in the HOV lane, police said. Ortiz was trapped, but Highway Patrol Officer Thomas Mutarelli and Elmont volunteer firefighter Jeffrey Dupoux happened to be nearby.

They pulled over and teamed up to free Ortiz, pulling her to safety through a broken window with help from at least one other Good Samaritan. “I was on the inside, Jeffrey was on the outside unleashing the woman from her seat belt,” Mutarelli recalled afterward. “We smelled the fire from inside the vehicle.” Dupoux said: “The engine compartment just had a small fire, but as we were pulling her out it started to grow.” Ortiz and the driver of the National Grid truck, identified as Frederick Foote, 36, of Yaphank, were transported to Stony Brook University Hospital, where they were treated and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Suffolk Police Commissioner Timothy Sini called the rescuers “guardian angels who were at the right place, at the right time.” “This is truly an act of bravery and professionalism,” Sini said. Mutarelli said he was on his way home from court, in uniform but off duty, and was approaching Exit 60 when he witnessed the crash. The SUV landed on its roof, skidding to a stop, the officer said. “The utility truck started fishtailing and taking up all four lanes of the expressway, losing equipment that was on it — ladders and cones, and other metal objects that were flying off of it,” Mutarelli said.

He pulled over and blocked the HOV lane to prevent other motorists from hitting the SUV. Then he said he ran to the passenger side of the vehicle, getting there as Dupoux reached the other side. “We got down onto the ground,” the officer said. “We noticed there was one woman inside. She was trapped.” Dupoux unhooked the woman’s seat belt, and Mutarelli said he “cradled her and pulled her out of the passenger side window.” Mutarelli remembered thinking it was “paramount” that they get the driver out quickly. “As soon as we exited the vehicle ... and we were moving her away from the vehicle ... [the SUV] was fully involved,” he said.

MORE

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woman who caused death of officer charged...

Woman Officer Died Trying to Save Charged
    February 7, 2017 - The woman that a Nashville police officer died trying to save was arrested Monday morning on the same day a memorial service was held for the fallen hero.
    Juli Glisson was charged with aggravated vehicular homicide in connection to the Feb. 2 death of Officer Eric Mumaw, according to The Tennessean.

Juli Glisson, left, and Officer Eric Mumaw

The 44-year-old officer died just before sunrise while attempting to rescue the woman, who was reportedly suicidal, after her vehicle went into the freezing waters of the Cumberland River in Madison. Mumaw's body was recovered by divers several hours after he went missing.

Glisson was jailed on $150,000. A newly released arrest warrant revealed that her blood alcohol content at the time of the officer's death was nearly three times the legal limit of .08. She is due in Davidson County court Thursday for a hearing.

http://www.officer.com/news/12302915...d-in-his-death

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Air Force NCO Wins Silver Star for Heroism in battle to re-take Kunduz...

Air Force NCO Awarded Silver Star for Heroism in Afghanistan
    7 Apr 2017 | WASHINGTON – Air Force Tech. Sgt. Brian Claughsey was awarded the Silver Star for his heroism in battle protecting U.S. special forces.
    Air Force Tech. Sgt. Brian Claughsey was awarded the Silver Star on Friday for his heroism in battle protecting U.S. special forces during a fierce, four-day firefight in Kunduz, Afghanistan. It was September 28, 2015 when Claughsey's combat-controller team "got a call early morning saying that Kunduz was under attack by the Taliban and we needed to go up and help the special forces team that was up there," he said Friday in a phone call with reporters. For four days, with no sleep and under constant fire from Taliban guns or mortars, Claughsey directed U.S. airstrikes during the battle. The first firefight broke out overnight as Claughsey's team joined Army Special Forces at a forward operating base near the Kunduz airfield. By morning, U.S. forces had retaken the airfield from Taliban fighters, though they received word that the city of Kunduz had fallen.

The combat controllers and Army Special Forces geared up to enter the city center, borrowing "a bunch of trucks from the Afghan National Army" and formed a 50-vehicle convoy. Claughsey said he was in the fourth vehicle, an unarmored Afghan pickup truck, along with a fellow combat controller, an Army Special Forces soldier and an Afghan army officer. "As soon as we got past the airfield, we started taking fire from a building," he said. From inside the truck, Claughsey directed an overhead AC-130 gunship to protect the convoy. He also returned fire with his M4 assault rifle as the convoy "reacted to the entire route being covered with Taliban," he said. The convoy was ambushed twice and encountered Taliban every 100 to 200 meters, he said. Claughsey directed "several airstrikes along the way. One of the strikes ended up being 70 meters from our location. The AC-130 did phenomenal job putting rounds down to allow us to continue on."

Air Force Tech. Sgt. Brian Claughsey was presented the Silver Star for his heroics in the battle to retake Kunduz from the Taliban in 2015

As the convoy traveled deeper into the city, insurgents set off a bomb-laden vehicle in their path to trap them. Claughsey's truck was stopped at an intersection. "Where my vehicle ended up stopping, we got opened up on by two enemy machine guns from really close locations," he said. The pickup truck would not have survived that assault, Claughsey said, but two Army Special Forces soldiers quickly maneuvered their own armored vehicle in front of the truck to protect the team and returned fire with a heavy machine gun mounted on their vehicle.

The convoy got to its destination, the compound of the Kunduz chief of police, but was quickly surrounded by enemy fighters. Two more days of mortars and gunfire ensued. With no sleep, exhaustion set in. "The Taliban was making their final affront to try to take over the compound – we were attacked from three sides," Claughsey said. A call for help came in, Army Special Forces not far from Claughsey's position were pinned down by mortar fire. Claughsey and another special forces soldier responded. Claughsey would mark the spot where the mortar fire was coming so aircraft could destroy it. The men climbed to the roof to direct an airstrike and "we were immediately pinned down," Claughsey said. The men fought from the roof for another hour, returning fire with rifles and a grenade launcher to create an opportunity to mark the target for an F-16 fighter jet to destroy it.

MORE
    See also:

Coast Guard Hero's Legacy Epitomizes Bond of Sea Services
    7 Apr 2017 | The sacrifice of Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro exemplifies the bond shared by all those wearing the uniform, past and present.
    The branches of the armed forces share a special bond. We serve the same public and take the same oath to support and defend the Constitution. The sacrifice of Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro gets at the very core of the relationship. But more importantly, it epitomizes the bond shared by all those wearing the uniform, past and present. The bond of service. On Sept. 27, 1942, Munro volunteered to lead the evacuation and rescue of a battalion of Marines trapped by enemy forces. Munro maneuvered his boat to provide cover for the Marines and was fatally wounded. Munro sacrificed his own life to save those Marines -- men who went on to change the world. One Marine whose life was saved was the battalion commander of those stranded leathernecks, Lt. Col. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller.

Munro's story of heroism, courage and final sacrifice are taught to our newest Coast Guard members, often on the first day of training. He is the ultimate forebearer of our service's core values. In his fight to save those 500 Marines, Munro didn't face fire alone. By his side in combat were Samuel Roberts and Raymond Evans. Navy Coxswain Samuel Roberts volunteered to join Munro and go back to rescue the battalion. Roberts maneuvered his boat in front of enemy forces, drawing their fire. His plan was effective and instrumental in saving those lives. As he was about to withdraw, Roberts' boat was hit and he was mortally wounded. His heroism is memorialized by the service of the USS Samuel B. Roberts.

Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro.

And Cmdr. Ray Evans, who enlisted on the same day at the same Seattle recruiting station as Munro, was there to hear Munro's final words: "Did they get off?" Munro gave his life so those men could live and his final breath was for them. The unbreakable service bond is evident in this last act by Douglas Munro: the Navy, the Marine Corps and the Coast Guard side by side. The events of Guadalcanal illustrate the seamless partnership between our nation's sea services. It is a bond we shared then, just as we do today. The Coast Guard is, first and foremost, an armed service. Coast Guard men and women have served in every armed conflict since our nation's founding, and throughout history, these selfless men and women serve to preserve the American way of life.

The Department of Defense and the Coast Guard share a complementary and mutually reinforcing relationship. We leverage our respective roles and authorities to best accomplish the mission -- to ready our national defense and ensure our national security. Success requires this partnership. As our newest National Security Cutter enters the fleet and serves as Munro's namesake, we honor this partnership. National Security Cutter Munro joins our growing fleet of capable and interoperable assets that will go after threats, now and well into the future. We celebrate the legacy that is Douglas Munro. He is a Coast Guard hero. He is a Marine Corps hero. He is a uniquely American hero.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...-services.html

*Adm. Paul F. Zukunft is commandant of the Coast Guard.
    Last edited by waltky; 04-09-2017 at 02:46 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Heroes' heroes...

Oklahoma police officer adopts boy he found bound in a bin of water during child abuse case
    Saturday, July 1, 2017 - An Oklahoma police officer rescued a little boy tied up in a bin and then decided he would spend the rest of life making sure he stayed safe.
    Poteau Police Officer Jody Thompson met his son, John, for the first time when he was responding to a child abuse call in 2015, KXNW reported. “... when we found him he was bound by his hands and his feet with rope and had been submerged in a trash can held in the shower,” Poteua Police Chief Stephen Fruen told the news station. “They weren’t feeding him. He didn’t have much to eat. I think what he did get to eat he got at school. Bruises, he was covered in bruises from head to toe.” Thompson said as soon he first laid eyes on the boy he knew that he was meant to be his son. “When I’d seen him in that house shivering and his hands tied — just soaking wet from confusion — I knew at that moment the only time I would be satisfied and sure that he was safe is if he was with me,” he told CBS News.

Poteau police officer Jody Thompson adopted John, an 8-year-old-boy, after rescuing him from abuse at the hands of his biological parents in Oklahoma

First responders took John, then 8 years old, to the hospital where Thompson remained by his side as he recovered in the intensive care unit. The next day, he contacted the Oklahoma Department of Human Services to become a certified foster parent and brought John home. Thompson, who had 15-year-old and 8-year-old sons already, said he didn’t tell his family initially, though they trusted he was doing the right thing. On April 2015, the Thompsons welcomed John into their home. Two days later, the police officer learned his wife was pregnant with their third son.

Thompson also adopted John's biological sister, who was born in jail.

Nearly 7 months later, the family received a call informing them John’s biological mother had given birth to a daughter while serving jail time — and they took her in too, according to the news station. John’s biological parents have relinquished their parental rights — though they have not done the same for their young daughter. Now 10 years old, John is a straight-A student and a part of the gifted and talented program, according to KXNW. He said he’ll be forever grateful for his new family, especially his police officer father. “He’s the reason I’m here right now,” John said.

The police chief praised Thompson’s heart, calling him a strong man and a great cop. “All of us can sit back and say we would do the same in that situation, but to come through with it and to do that, that’s a measure of a man — and a very good police officer,” Fruen said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3294006
    See also:

Deputy Pulls Crash Victim From Burning SUV
    June 14, 2017 - Fresno County Sheriff's Deputy Andrew Simonson grabbed a pair of pruning shears from a bystander's car, cut the seat belt on the Explorer, dragged the victim away from the fire and started CPR.
    A Fresno County sheriff's deputy who jumped from his car and pulled a vehicle crash victim from a burning SUV Monday was identified as Andrew Simonson. The victim later died of his injuries at Community Regional Medical Center, but the sheriff's office made note of Simonson's effort.

Fresno County Sheriff's Deputy Andrew Simonson, inset, grabbed a pair of pruning shears from a bystander's car, cut the seat belt on the Explorer, dragged the victim away from the fire and started CPR.

The incident took place about 9 a.m. as Simonson was driving on Highway 180 to his job at the Fresno County Courthouse. A sheriff's spokesman said Simonson was westbound behind a big rig near Fowler Avenue when a Ford Explorer crossed over from the eastbound lanes and collided with the big rig. The Explorer burst into flames and the driver was knocked unconscious and pinned in the wreckage.

Simonson grabbed a pair of pruning shears from a bystander's car, cut the seat belt on the Explorer, dragged the victim away from the fire and started CPR. Emergency workers rushed the victim to Community Regional Medical Center, where the driver died of his injuries.

http://www.officer.com/news/12343516...om-burning-suv
    Related:

Lifeguard-Turned-NYPD Cop Rescues Woman
    June 15, 2017 | A former lifeguard-turned-NYPD cop used his old skills to save a Staten Island woman from drowning off Rockaway Beach in Queens Monday night.
    A former Hempstead Town lifeguard-turned-cop used his old skills to save a Staten Island woman from drowning off Rockaway Beach in Queens Monday night, according to the NYPD. The woman, 25, was about 50 yards from the beach during the 7:45 p.m. incident, and there were no lifeguards on duty, a NYPD spokesman said. William Lauria, 23, an NYPD officer at the 105th Precinct in Queens, said he noticed the woman in distress while on beach duty. "There were some rough conditions," Lauria said.

A former lifeguard-turned-NYPD cop used his old skills to save a Staten Island woman from drowning off Rockaway Beach in Queens Monday night.

He said he ran down the boardwalk, stripped down to his police-issued uniform shorts and dove in. He was able to help the woman to shore -- but not before helping another good Samaritan who had also jumped in the water to try and save the young woman, he said. "The man who tried to rescue her initially was swept out even further than her," Lauria said, adding that he then asked for the assistance of a nearby surfer to rescue the good Samaritan. Police did not identify the woman.

Lauria said he has been with the NYPD for a year and a half and comes from a family of cops -- but before that, he spent four years as a lifeguard at the Town of Hempstead's Averill Boulevard Park pool in Elmont. When asked for advice on how to keep safe this season, Lauria advised people to be cautious on the beach. "I advise people not to go into the water when there isn't a lifeguard present," he said, "and if you're a strong swimmer, just know your limits and let someone know you're in the water."

http://www.officer.com/news/12344155...-from-drowning

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

NYPD Cop Hailed for Stopping Jihadi Attack...

NYPD Cop Lauded for Stopping Terror Attack
    November 1, 2017 - Officer Ryan Nash wounded the driver who killed eight people in Manhattan Tuesday afternoon.
    What more mayhem the terror suspect could have committed, nobody knows — thanks to an NYPD officer from Long Island. Officer Ryan Nash, 28, fired at the driver, who had just killed eight people and mowed down several others, hitting the man in the abdomen. Although Nash’s name wasn’t mentioned by city officials at a news conference, he was praised as the hero of the day. NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said he “stopped the carnage moments after it began.”

NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill told reporters that Officer Ryan Nash “stopped the carnage moments after it began.”

Mayor Bill de Blasio singled the Medford resident out in honoring the army of first responders. “I want to thank everyone at the NYPD, all our first responders, for their extraordinary efforts in the midst of this tragedy,” the mayor said, “starting with the officer who stopped this tragedy from continuing — all the first responders who came to the aid of those who were injured.” Nash’s girlfriend declined to speak Tuesday night, except to say she had heard from him and that he was OK.

Nash, a First Precinct officer, was patrolling his regular beat near the scene when he shot the suspect soon after the attack began, O’Neill said. He is a five-year veteran of the NYPD and serves in the First Precinct, a square mile at the southernmost tip of Manhattan that is home to the World Trade Center, SoHo, TriBeCa and Wall Street. Scores of police officers descended Tuesday night on NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital, where Nash was being treated for tinnitus, or ringing in the ears. He has two awards for Excellent Police Duty and one for Meritorious Police Duty from the NYPD.

https://www.officer.com/on-the-stree...k-in-manhattan

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posthumous award due to hero soldier killed in Bronx apartment fire...

Honor Sought for US Soldier Who Died in Bronx Fire Rescue
    8 Jan 2018 — Sen. Chuck Schumer wants the Army to posthumously honor a soldier who raced repeatedly into a burning apartment building.
    U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer wants the Army to posthumously honor a U.S. soldier and native of Ghana who raced repeatedly into a burning New York City apartment building, saving four people before he died in flames that also claimed a dozen other lives. Army National Guard Pfc. Emmanuel Mensah, 28, "was many things: a soldier, an immigrant, a first-generation American, a New Yorker — but above all else he was a hero," the New York Democrat said in a letter to the Army requesting that Mensah be formally awarded for his sacrifice. Mensah perished Dec. 28 on a frigid night inside the five-story Bronx apartment building where he lived before joining the military a year earlier, Army officials said. He was home for Christmas after finishing National Guard basic training in Fort Lee, Virginia.

Firefighters respond to a deadly building fire in the Bronx borough of New York.

The fire, the city's deadliest since 1990, was accidentally started by a child playing with a gas stove, fire officials said. After the boy and his mother fled, flames spread up a stairwell and consumed the inside of the building. When the fire broke out, he was sleeping on the first floor, according to Schumer, who cited reports from police, first responders and other witnesses. He was able to exit the building, the senator said. But Mensah then ran back into the inferno multiple times, helping four people escape before succumbing on an upper floor, according to a New York National Guard statement that cited police reports. A fire department spokesman said fire officials could not confirm details involving Mensah's specific actions.

Schumer has written to Army Secretary Mark Esper urging the military to issue the soldier a posthumous award recognizing "the Army values of personal courage, selfless service and duty." Col. Richard Goldenberg, a National Guard spokesman, said the military is working with Mensah's relatives to decide on final arrangements, services and ceremonies. Mensah was to begin drills this month with the New York Army National Guard's 107th Military Police Company, based at Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn. "I knew from the moment I met him his heart was as big as our National Guard family," National Guard Staff Sgt. Ruben Martinez-Ortiz, who recruited Mensah in 2016, wrote on an Army website. The fire took the lives of eight adults and five children, including 27-year-old Holt Francis, who was critically injured and died Thursday. Francis' wife, 19-year-old niece and two daughters, ages 2 and 7, also died.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...re-rescue.html

+ Reply to Thread