Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up " The Russia Hoax" by Greg Jarrett
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
    Just picked up " The Russia Hoax" by Greg Jarrett

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,857x in 10,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I've become interested in western stories lately, both written and filmed, after watching a 2008 movie, Appaloosa, with Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen, based on a book by Robert B. Parker. Parker wrote a series of books about two characters named Hitch and Cole, who are freelance law enforcers, and another writer has continued the series in recent years. I hope to get around to reading that series someday. Parker's Boston P.I., Spenser, is what most people know him for, but he also wrote westerns, and a series about a New England small town police chief named Jesse Stone, which is the basis for a series of t.v. movies starring Tom Selleck.

I read Larry McMurtry's 'Lonesome Dove' many years ago and thought it was one of the best novels I'd ever read - and still do. McMurtry wrote a sequel, 'Streets of Laredo', and two prequels, 'Dead Man's Walk' and 'Comanche Moon'. So a few days ago I decided to read the four books in chronological order, starting with 'Dead Man's Walk', which I'm doing now.

'Paradise Sky' by Joe R. Lansdale is another highly recommended western book - one of the best two or three novels of any genre that I've ever read. (Another is Cormac McCarthy's 'All the Pretty Horses'.)
    You'll love them both. They really set up" Lonesome Dove." The tv movies were well done but you have to accept different actors and I found that hard to do.

If you want a great western read the "Searchers." The movie sucked but the book is fantastic.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Other Woman - by Daniel Silva

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per what is written below, another great work is "The Knights Templar". ~Discovering the myth and reality of a legendary brotherhood. A complete illustrated chronicle of the rise and fall of one of history's most secretive and conspiratorial brotherhoods, from its origins as a champion of Christ in the Middle Ages to its mysterious legacy in the present day, illustrated with more than 200 fine art images.

Investigate the Templar's links to the Holy Grail, the Turin Shroud, the Ark of the Covenant, the Skull of Sidon, Freemasonry, and other mysteries handed down through the centuries, and decide if the Knights were brave crusaders, servants of Christ, treacherous heretics or mercenary outlaws.~ Book by Susie Hodge, this edition was published by HH Hermes House.

The cover of the book says, "WHAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW", as there is a skull and bones inside of a triangle. The book's title is, "Inside Secret Societies", written by Michael Benson.

That there is a whole lot of history unknown, because so much new information is being found, the whole point was to be covering everything up. There are secret societies that were formed in order to spread good, while there are others solely designed to spread bad. But then in a world turned upside down, as has been done, right side up will be the turn around.

Some of the secret societies discussed in the book are: The Freemasons, Order of the Amaranth, American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, the Priory of Sion, Annunaki, Aryan Brotherhood, the Nation of Islam, Bohemian Grove, Brotherhood of Death (Skull and Bones), Brothers of the Sword, Jesuits, Sons of Liberty, Knights of Malta, the Rosicrucians, the Knights Templar.

Regarding the Annunaki, page 6, evidence of mining for gold in South Africa was discovered by the Anglo-American Corporation in the 1970s, mining that dated to 100,000 years ago. The idea that they came from space to occupy, while they took gold, then left, to return again, only means they mingled, as well as latched onto man, as they created another world differential.

From what the author adds, page 7, the Annunaki were "vain, petty, cruel", etc., and the book further writes various ideas of how the present state of the world has arrived to right where it is at. Non-stop, since the beginning of time, the ebbs and flows of the Ebla. The law of God, Genesis 1, was a known to every culture that lived there, they all understood there were offerings.

That every single culture of those same times knew that a Flood had happened, and yet they tried the same almost similar to those same times, that centuries old by now, is it even possible that some of those same races never died, and that is what the whole conspiracy may cover, that there is nothing that will be hidden from the cultures of Mankind so that they shall not thrive.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 2,296
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,250x in 12,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You'll love them both. They really set up" Lonesome Dove." The tv movies were well done but you have to accept different actors and I found that hard to do.
    Having seen the Lonesome Dove mini-series, I can't picture Gus and Call as anyone but Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as I'm reading 'Dead Man's Walk'. Those two were pretty unforgettable in the t.v. version. It's been so long since I read 'Lonesome Dove' that I can't remember much about it's portrayal of Gus, but his childish antics in 'Dead Man's Walk' are really starting to fray my nerves a bit. He comes across as a bit of a big, unruly, somewhat dangerous child.

Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    If you want a great western read the "Searchers." The movie sucked but the book is fantastic.
    I remember seeing the film many years ago, and I've heard that many people consider it to be one of John Wayne's best. So I guess if the book is even better I should definitely try to get ahold of a copy.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished reading The Inferno in the original Italian

Disclaimer: That is somewhat of a fabrication. Although I have read the Inferno it wasn't in Italian

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    The Destroy #15: Murder Ward

Before that I re-read Atlas Shrugged. Had nothing better to do that afternoon.

I'm debating between The Fountainhead or a Louis L'Amour Sacketts story. Always liked Tell Sacket...
    For some really light reading you should try Emmanuel Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason"

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Reacher Experiment by Jude Hardin

The concept, it is 2057 and Jack (no middle name) Reacher's clone(s) are being targeted for extermination, a page turner so far. What prompted me to try the series, was the fact that the author got permission by Lee Child to use his character, as I said so far so good...

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 2,296
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,250x in 12,375 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    The Reacher Experiment by Jude Hardin

The concept, it is 2057 and Jack (no middle name) Reacher's clone(s) are being targeted for extermination, a page turner so far. What prompted me to try the series, was the fact that the author got permission by Lee Child to use his character, as I said so far so good...
    Wow, that's really remarkable that an author would do that. I began reading Lee Child's Reacher series several years ago and enjoyed the first five or six and then got sidetracked. Hope to get back into that series someday, and now have another series to investigate when I find the time.

I think it's pretty cool when one author acknowledges another author's "universe" in one of his books. In Stephen King's 'The Dome', the main character, a former Army investigator, mentions trying to contact a former colleague named Reacher, although Reacher himself doesn't make an appearance.

As for me, I'm about to finish 'Dead Man's Walk'. The character of Gus has begun to mature somewhat, as the result of his adventures and hardships, and I'm sure that was McMurtry's intention all along - to show that change. Before tackling the next book in the series, though, Craig Johnson has a new Longmire out that I'll be reading next.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

+ Reply to Thread