Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 71,752x in 48,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading some historical fiction by Douglas Jackson- Hero of Rome, and also Ben Kane- Clash of Empires. They really capture the feel of combat from both the Greek Phalanx and Roman Legion perspective.
    Molon labe
    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    southwest88's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 826x in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Operation Shakespeare : the true story of an elite international sting / John Shiffman, c2014, Simon & Schuster, 338.973 SHIF 2014.

Subjects
    • United States. -- Department of Homeland Security.
    • Operation Shakespeare, 2004-2009.
    • Technology transfer -- Government policy -- United States.
    • Undercover operations -- United States.
    • War on Terrorism, 2001-2009.
    • Terrorism -- United States -- Prevention.
    • National security -- United States.
    • Intelligence service -- United States.

Summary
    • "A Pulitzer Prize finalist presents the rare and intimate narrative of a daring national security sting designed to protect US soldiers, sailors, and pilots from
      the greatest danger they face on the battlefield--an enemy equipped with American-made weapons and technology. In Operation Shakespeare, investigative journalist John Shiffman traces an audacious and high-risk undercover operation--from Philadelphia to Shiraz to London to Beverly Hills to
      Tbilisi and Dubai. The sting is launched by an elite undercover Homeland Security unit created to stop the Iranians, Russians, Chinese, Pakistanis,
      and North Koreans from acquiring sophisticated American-made electronics capable of guiding missiles, jamming radar, and triggering countless
      weapons--from wireless IEDs to nuclear bombs. The US agents must outwit not only enemy brokers, but American manufacturers and global bankers too willing to put profit over national security. The three-year sting in Operation Shakespeare climaxes when the US agents lure the Iranian broker
      to a former Soviet republic with the promise of American-made radar, fighter-jet and missile components, then secretly drag him back to the
      United States, where he is held in secret for two years. The laptop the Iranian carries into the sting provides the CIA with a treasure trove, a
      virtual roadmap to Tehran's clandestine effort to obtain US military technology. Tenacious, richly detailed, broad in scope, and emotionally
      powerful--and boasting unprecedented access to the government agents fighting this shadow war, as well as the captured Iranian arms
      broker--Operation Shakespeare is a fast-paced and masterful account of the covert effort to preserve American military supremacy, and to protect US troops"-- Provided by publisher.

Length

• xii, 267 pages : sources, maps, no index

A fascinating story, rolling up a single network in the Iranian weapons & parts & materials acquisition system. They target US technology, partly because a lot of old
    (pre-Revolutionary) Iranian tech was from the US, but also because they want cutting-edge technology from the West. A must-read for anyone interested in Iranian military planning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to southwest88 For This Useful Post:

Orion Rules (12-31-2018)

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,843
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,081x in 6,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently reading "The Boy, Me, And The Cat" by Henry Plummer. Written in 1913 it is the story of Plummer, his son Henry Jr. and their cat Scotty's sail from Boston to Miami in a 24 foot sailboat. One of the interesting features of the book is that the author is obviously James Patterson's mentor. The book is only 128 pages long but has 39 chapters, some as short as half a page. The book was written from Mr. Plummer's sailing diary and as such lacks much in the way of form. It is not unlike my sailing diary other than the fact it is far more interesting and even I can't read much of what I wrote over the years!!!

Another aspect of the book is just how un PC the book is. Mr Plummer carries a 22 caliber rifle fitted with a "Maxim silencer" to allow him to shoot whatever he wants to shoot during the voyage. He has named the weapon The Helen Keller because it cannot be seen or heard by his prey. He shoots several animals just to see if it can be done and while his views on race relations mirror those of the day he certainly wouldn't win any prizes today. There are many in this forum that would ban the book based on this but in so doing they would miss a good yarn and very lyrical prose throughout.

As a follow up, Mr. Plummer's son Henry Jr. was killed during the 1st World War.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 559x in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Jobs, Charlie Chaplin bio, Mark Donahue bio, History of Flight, Dennis Conner America Cup, Ecclesiastes, the Tipping Point...a must read( how little things can make a big difference)
    Last edited by Cotton1; 01-14-2019 at 12:49 AM.
    Proud sponser of Team Lopez and the Border Jumpers

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered250 Experience Points
    EvilCat Breath's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 66x in 46 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished book 5 in Game of Thrones, Dance with Dragons. After all that, George RR Martin can be incredibly boring. He has crowds of characters. Every where they have been and especially every thing they eat is examined in minute detail. Consequently the plot is sluggish. I tend to skip over a lot.

I have started book 2 of Longmire. Otherwise I tend to go with cat mysteries. As I have gotten older my vision isn't as good as it was. I use an e-reader so I can adjust the font. I love it. All my life, in my many moves I have lost my books. I just could not haul a ton of books around. Now I have about 100 and they all fit in my pocket!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvilCat Breath For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (04-16-2019),countryboy (04-12-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 31,242x in 22,361 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just started Metaphysics of War: Battle, Victory and Death in the World of Tradition.

Julius Evola
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 559x in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im rereading "Steve Jobs"
    Proud sponser of Team Lopez and the Border Jumpers

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,079x in 2,174 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilCat Breath View Post
    I just finished book 5 in Game of Thrones, Dance with Dragons. After all that, George RR Martin can be incredibly boring. He has crowds of characters. Every where they have been and especially every thing they eat is examined in minute detail. Consequently the plot is sluggish. I tend to skip over a lot.

I have started book 2 of Longmire. Otherwise I tend to go with cat mysteries. As I have gotten older my vision isn't as good as it was. I use an e-reader so I can adjust the font. I love it. All my life, in my many moves I have lost my books. I just could not haul a ton of books around. Now I have about 100 and they all fit in my pocket!
    You mean, Song of Ice and Fire. Game of Thrones is the first book in that series. GET IT STRAIGHT MAN!!!!

Lol, just messin' with ya, it's a good series. George R.R. Martin has a superbly demented imagination.

Progressivism, ideas so good, they have to be mandatory

+ Reply to Thread