User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How I Became a Feminist

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,486x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The fact that many countries treat women less fairly than the United States does not excuse the continuation of patriarchy in this country. I think you perhaps lack perspective on just how UNequal the situation even here in 21st century America really is, so let me help you out with that:

According to the World Economic Forum's 2015 report, no country on Earth today treats women as the equals of men. Here's how each country ranks in according to their estimation, which gauges economic opportunity, political representation, educational attainment, and health care treatment. As you can see, American women, according to the World Economic Forum's authoritative statistical compilation, are currently treated as 74% the equals of American men. The most egalitarian country, as you can also see, is Iceland, where women are treated as 88% the equals of men. Our distance in this spectrum from Iceland (14 points) is greater than our distance from Saudi Arabia in the opposite direction, if that puts matters in perspective for you as to how far we have to go yet.

Can you explain how that report makes such precise measurements as 74%? 88%? 14 points? It seems odd to try to quantify something so subjective.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    PolWatch's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,148x in 15,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Can you explain how that report makes such precise measurements as 74%? 88%? 14 points? It seems odd to try to quantify something so subjective.
    It is difficult to compare apples in the ME to applies in the US. Its about as subjective as those who imply that American women should be satisfied because its worse elsewhere.
    Through all of our running and all of our cunning, if we couldn't laugh we just would go insane. - Jimmy Buffett

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PolWatch For This Useful Post:

del (06-14-2016),Safety (06-15-2016)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolWatch View Post
    It is difficult to compare apples in the ME to applies in the US. Its about as subjective as those who imply that American women should be satisfied because its worse elsewhere.
    Well, it's difficult if not impossible to measure these things. I looked at report and one measure if pay for similar work. So I think I'll talk to my boss because the woman I work with makes more than me--to hell with she's got seniority, knows the application better, our job titles are the same!! You just can't measure this stuff and to blithely point to a report supports your agenda is nonsense. Another measure was women in the workforce. OK, so you can count, but that ignores choices women make, which cannot be measured.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's difficult if not impossible to measure these things. I looked at report and one measure if pay for similar work. So I think I'll talk to my boss because the woman I work with makes more than me--to hell with she's got seniority, knows the application better, our job titles are the same!! You just can't measure this stuff and to blithely point to a report supports your agenda is nonsense. Another measure was women in the workforce. OK, so you can count, but that ignores choices women make, which cannot be measured.
    one fallacy is just as false as another. Can you prove that the pay difference is due to women's choices or simply because the boss doesn't think women are worth as much as men?
    Through all of our running and all of our cunning, if we couldn't laugh we just would go insane. - Jimmy Buffett

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,652
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    del's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,872x in 12,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone's fee-fee is hurt

c'est dommage, ma pauvre petite

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    someone's fee-fee is hurt

c'est dommage, ma pauvre petite
    warning

Warning

Please stay on topic... take discussion of personalities to the PM function

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    one fallacy is just as false as another. Can you prove that the pay difference is due to women's choices or simply because the boss doesn't think women are worth as much as men?
    That's just it, I don't think anything conclusive can be said, not objectively. We just have seat of the pants subjective opinion. I don't disagree that women are sometimes treated as less than men, just not sure how to measure it. Or what to do about it. I mean, we can demand the government treat people equally, but how do you legislate people's relationships, feelings, prejudices?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    895 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just it, I don't think anything conclusive can be said, not objectively. We just have seat of the pants subjective opinion. I don't disagree that women are sometimes treated as less than men, just not sure how to measure it. Or what to do about it. I mean, we can demand the government treat people equally, but how do you legislate people's relationships, feelings, prejudices?
    You can't legislate it. The only thing you can do is to make people more aware and hope they will honestly look at each situation instead of making across the board judgements. What won't produce any results is to shut up and be happy with what we have advanced to, so far.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You can't legislate it. The only thing you can do is to make people more aware and hope they will honestly look at each situation instead of making across the board judgements. What won't produce any results is to shut up and be happy with what we have advanced to, so far.
    That's all good and I can only encourage that.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The fact that many countries treat women less fairly than the United States does not excuse the continuation of patriarchy in this country. I think you perhaps lack perspective on just how UNequal the situation even here in 21st century America really is, so let me help you out with that:

According to the World Economic Forum's 2015 report, no country on Earth today treats women as the equals of men. Here's how each country ranks in according to their estimation, which gauges economic opportunity, political representation, educational attainment, and health care treatment. As you can see, American women, according to the World Economic Forum's authoritative statistical compilation, are currently treated as 74% the equals of American men. The most egalitarian country, as you can also see, is Iceland, where women are treated as 88% the equals of men. Our distance in this spectrum from Iceland (14 points) is greater than our distance from Saudi Arabia in the opposite direction, if that puts matters in perspective for you as to how far we have to go yet.
    I'm not worried about the states. Mostly because what they bloviate about equality has little to no real importance. I don't care about bathroom issues or issues of whether or not they get their feelings hurt. Just don't care. On matters of substance - voting, pay, rights social services, women do just fine here.

Those who say otherwise are living in a mental dumpster that needs to be emptied and cleaned.

Most women aren't butthurt here either, usually only a demented few given an artificially large and captive audience in university settings.

Saudi areas? Different story. Lack of rights, routine torture and abuse. Innocent killings.

Grease that squeaky wheel and I'll be right there with you beating the drum. Because it is a matter of substance.

Sent from my evil, baby seal-clubbing cellphone.
    Last edited by Cthulhu; 06-15-2016 at 11:30 PM.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

+ Reply to Thread