Thanked 807x in 609 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cognitive Distortions

Cognitive Distortions
    Cognitive Distortions

Everybody has some cognitive distortions. However there are two kinds of people who suffer much greater from cognitive distortions: people with mental disorders and people who debate politics.

For the sakes of honesty and good faith, please refer yourself or other forum members to this thread while debating or discussing if you recognize a cognitive distortion. This is not a list of rules or forum regulations. Also, this list is not absolute. This is simply an organized list of common fouls people make while debating one another on the forum.

The most common cognitive distortions are:

1. All or nothing thinking: This involves seeing things in black and white categories, not seeing things in between categories.
    2. Over-generalization: This involves seeing a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.
    3. Mental filter: When an individual picks out a single negative detail and dwells on this, much like drops of ink that discolor the entire pool of water.
    4. Disqualifying the positive: When an individual rejects positive experiences by negating them or insisting they don't count for one reason or another. This enables the individual to maintain a negative belief system that is contradicted by positive everyday experiences. The other side of the "coin" is focusing on the negative.
    5. Jumping to conclusions: When a person makes a negative interpretation, even though there are no definite facts that would support the conclusion. For example, "mind reading" - arbitrarily concluding that someone is reacting negatively to you, or to an individual, when this has not been checked out.
    6. Catastrophizing/minimizing: In catastrophizing, a person exaggerates the importance of things such as one minor mistake. In minimizing, a person inappropriately shrinks things until they appear very inconsequential. For example, minimizing a person's or group's desirable qualities.
    7. Emotional reasoning: When an individual assumes that negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are just because they feel it.
    8. Should statements: When a person tries to motivate an individual with shoulds and shouldn'ts, and the implied consequence of not following through is guilt. When an individual directs should statements to another person, it is often the result of anger, frustration, and resentment.
    9. Labeling and mislabeling: This can be thought of as an extreme form of over-generalization. Instead of describing a mistake an individual may make, they would attach a negative label to that person. For example, instead of a person stating "that is not correct", they may say "you're an idiot."
    10. Personalization: This is when an individual sees a critical comment as a deliberate attack on themselves, or others, or their ideals.
    11. Victimization: This involves always seeing oneself, another person, or a group as the victim of circumstances and being powerless to do anything to change.
    12. Entitlement: This is seeing the world revolving around oneself, another person or group. One deserves to have it their way. The world/society owes them what they want.
    13. Fallacy of fairness: We feel resentful because we think we know what is fair, but other people won’t agree with us. As our parents tell us when we’re growing up and something doesn’t go our way, “Life isn’t always fair.” People who go through life applying a measuring ruler against every situation judging its “fairness” will often feel badly and negative because of it. Because life isn’t “fair” — things will not always work out in your favor, even when you think they should.
    14. Always being right: We are continually on trial to prove that our opinions and actions are correct. Being wrong is unthinkable and we will go to any length to demonstrate our rightness. For example, “I don’t care how badly arguing with me makes you feel, I’m going to win this argument no matter what because I’m right.” Being right often is more important than the feelings of others around a person who engages in this cognitive distortion, even loved ones.
    Last edited by spunkloaf; 06-15-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added content
    Faith can move mountains, but don't forget to bring your shovel.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spunkloaf For This Useful Post:

domer76 (06-15-2016),Peter1469 (06-15-2016)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This list of 15 Common Cognitive Distortions includes

...8. Fallacy of Fairness.

We feel resentful because we think we know what is fair, but other people won’t agree with us. As our parents tell us when we’re growing up and something doesn’t go our way, “Life isn’t always fair.” People who go through life applying a measuring ruler against every situation judging its “fairness” will often feel badly and negative because of it. Because life isn’t “fair” — things will not always work out in your favor, even when you think they should.

...14. Always Being Right.

We are continually on trial to prove that our opinions and actions are correct. Being wrong is unthinkable and we will go to any length to demonstrate our rightness. For example, “I don’t care how badly arguing with me makes you feel, I’m going to win this argument no matter what because I’m right.” Being right often is more important than the feelings of others around a person who engages in this cognitive distortion, even loved ones.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

spunkloaf (06-15-2016)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    spunkloaf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This list of 15 Common Cognitive Distortions includes
    I'll copy-paste add them to the list. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules or violating copyrights...

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkloaf View Post
    Cognitive Distortions
    Cognitive Distortions

Everybody has some cognitive distortions. However there are two kinds of people who suffer much greater from cognitive distortions: people with mental disorders and people who debate politics.

For the sakes of honesty and good faith, please refer yourself or other forum members to this thread while debating or discussing if you recognize a cognitive distortion. This is not a list of rules or forum regulations. Also, this list is not absolute. This is simply an organized list of common fouls people make while debating one another on the forum.

1. All or nothing thinking: This involves seeing things in black and white categories, not seeing things in between categories.
    2. Over-generalization: This involves seeing a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.
    3. Mental filter: When an individual picks out a single negative detail and dwells on this, much like drops of ink that discolor the entire pool of water.
    4. Disqualifying the positive: When an individual rejects positive experiences by negating them or insisting they don't count for one reason or another. This enables the individual to maintain a negative belief system that is contradicted by positive everyday experiences. The other side of the "coin" is focusing on the negative.
    5. Jumping to conclusions: When a person makes a negative interpretation, even though there are no definite facts that would support the conclusion. For example, "mind reading" - arbitrarily concluding that someone is reacting negatively to you, or to an individual, when this has not been checked out.
    6. Catastrophizing/minimizing: In catastrophizing, a person exaggerates the importance of things such as one minor mistake. In minimizing, a person inappropriately shrinks things until they appear very inconsequential. For example, minimizing a person's or group's desirable qualities.
    7. Emotional reasoning: When an individual assumes that negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are just because they feel it.
    8. Should statements: When a person tries to motivate an individual with shoulds and shouldn'ts, and the implied consequence of not following through is guilt. When an individual directs should statements to another person, it is often the result of anger, frustration, and resentment.
    9. Labeling and mislabeling: This can be thought of as an extreme form of over-generalization. Instead of describing a mistake an individual may make, they would attach a negative label to that person. For example, instead of a person stating "that is not correct", they may say "you're an idiot."
    10. Personalization: This is when an individual sees a critical comment as a deliberate attack on themselves, or others, or their ideals.
    11. Victimization: This involves always seeing oneself, another person, or a group as the victim of circumstances and being powerless to do anything to change.
    12. Entitlement: This is seeing the world revolving around oneself, another person or group. One deserves to have it their way. The world/society owes them what they want.
    Cant argue with any of it, actually its damn accurate. Some that dont want to do that get drawn into it eventually.

It gets to be tit for tat and redundant
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

spunkloaf (06-15-2016)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried to adapt the list that I have according to the online forum environment, because when I saw it I thought about how much some people need to be mindful of their distortions.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to adapt the list that I have according to the online forum environment, because when I saw it I thought about how much some people need to be mindful of their distortions.
    Hard feelings cant be avoided eventually and that leads to never ending tit for tat.
    I am a part of that and Im not stopping anytime soon
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Hard feelings cant be avoided eventually and that leads to never ending tit for tat.
    I am a part of that and Im not stopping anytime soon
    I suppose if that's how you feel and you prefer to be obstinate, then so be it. There must be some sort of use for people who just prefer to squabble over reasonable discussion, I'm sure.

Who knows when we'll find out what that reason is, but I'm sure it's there.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    To me there's two important rules. One is specific to the Internet: You never win an argument on the Internet. In real life you can, someone can physically win, someone can pull rank and order you, but on the Internet, not really so.

Two, always keep in mind you could be wrong. Corollary: Don't be afraid to test ideas. You learn by being wrong, not by being right.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    domer76's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,059x in 1,705 Posts
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cognitive Distortions
    Cognitive Distortions

13. Fallacy of fairness: We feel resentful because we think we know what is fair, but other people won’t agree with us. As our parents tell us when we’re growing up and something doesn’t go our way, “Life isn’t always fair.” People who go through life applying a measuring ruler against every situation judging its “fairness” will often feel badly and negative because of it. Because life isn’t “fair” — things will not always work out in your favor, even when you think they should.
    14. Always being right: We are continually on trial to prove that our opinions and actions are correct. Being wrong is unthinkable and we will go to any length to demonstrate our rightness. For example, “I don’t care how badly arguing with me makes you feel, I’m going to win this argument no matter what because I’m right.” Being right often is more important than the feelings of others around a person who engages in this cognitive distortion, even loved ones.
    You left out probably the most common one used. Hypothesis contrary to fact (if/then). I am continually pointing that out.

"If Obama were not black, then he would never have been elected."

The premise is supposition, thus the conclusion is invalid. Those that use it have such a weak argument that the have to concoct a premise and argue it as fact.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    You left out probably the most common one used. Hypothesis contrary to fact (if/then). I am continually pointing that out.

"If Obama were not black, then he would never have been elected."

The premise is supposition, thus the conclusion is invalid. Those that use it have such a weak argument that the have to concoct a premise and argue it as fact.
    Because hypothetical thinking is not a distortion or illogical. Science is founded on it. So is government: if we make this law then everything will be just peachy dandy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

spunkloaf (06-15-2016)

+ Reply to Thread