maineman's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,948x in 2,401 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a loyal Red Sox fan since I was a wee child in Illinois who just loved to watch Ted Williams play. My dad was a college roommate of a guy who was a scout in the Red Sox organization, and for my sixth birthday, I got a box with a bat signed by Ted Williams, a ball signed by Ted Williams, a left handed, four four fingered glove signed by Ted Williams, and a complete Red Sox uniform with shirt, pants, hat, and socks. Pretty $#@!ng cool birthday gift for a six year old!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maineman For This Useful Post:

hanger4 (07-21-2016)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 1,358
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,393x in 14,585 Posts
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Yes, I'm sure a large proportion of Mexican migrants are doctors or other highly educated and highly paid professionals. lol
    Why yes, they just come up here and pick fruit and veggies for relaxation?

Can you believe the crap that they are willing to spew to protect the agenda.

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    maineman's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,948x in 2,401 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post

There wasn't any plagiarism here; many politicians have used the same words in different ways....there are only so many ways you can describe moral behavior. Sometimes the words are the same....which doesn't suggest anyone plagiarized them. If that were the case, musicians would be getting sued every day of the week for plagiarism.
    just gotta go back sometimes and revisit the classics.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,650x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    I know there are a number of threads about this topic already but it's been annoying me and so I just want to rant real quick.

It doesn't take a republican partisan hack, a democratic partisan hack, a politically disinterested mouth breather, a talking head on TV, or a journalism major to clearly see that Melania Trump read content in her speech that was clearly lifted from Michelle Obama's speech word for word, sentence for sentence, and even in the same order. The comparisons are just simply obvious to anybody with eye balls and a working brain it was not an original speech nor was it just "shared language". So let's just accept that fact and stop with the bs please. Now that being said, it's also obvious that Melania Trump did not write the speech like she is claiming since she most likely just proof read bits and pieces of it that was written by campaign staff and that was that. I don't blame Melania Trump and I actually feel bad for her that her husbands incompetent staff let her read it it to millions of people knowing full well that many parts of it were lifted from their political rivals own wife.

The question is this though...either Trump's campaign communication staff is incompetent because they didn't think anybody would notice blatant plagiarism, or, they were incompetent because they don't know what plagiarism is. Either way his communications team is incompetent and someone should probably be losing their job. Control C followed Control P is not the way to write a speech that is supposed to be a personal speech about your husband especially when what you are pasting is about someone else's husband. They should have let her write her own speech and let her speak from the heart.

Again though, if you don't see comparisons between the speeches, the obvious word for word similarities, and if you don't believe that chunks of that speech weren't lifted from Michelle Obama's speech then you are just being willfully delusional. It's ok to acknowledge that someone in the Trump campaign screwed up royally and made his wife look terrible (which is why I feel bad for her), and it's ok to acknowledged that the Trump campaign is now handling the situation just as terribly now that it's exposed. Why, oh why, can't they just say they screwed up and that they have fired the person that approved the speech for her to read? If they did that it wouldn't be in the news all week long overshadowing his convention instead of doubling down on stupidity and claiming it's not plagiarism.

I'm sure there will be people that will come on to this thread wife Trump's hand up their back and spouting his talking points like a wooden dummy, but just stop, and acknowledge truth for one minute please and let's move on.
    Was Michelle's speach copy writted?

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Plagiarism doesn't have to be connected to copyright infringement. What the Trump campaign did was not illegal it was unprofessional, unethical, incompetent, and lazy. If the speech was copyrighted then the plagiarism would have been illegal.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,638x in 56,022 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    maybe just the two brief statements in question were.

+ Reply to Thread