midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks on the quote, most I have saved since 'autoexec.bat' started your PC, but I didn't confirm that one. Notify the site if you are concerned. I will footnote: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/snare-drummed/

-----

For the serious person puzzled by human behavior see the books above on Human Nature by Wilson and the Prehistory book. And if you have ever wondered at why you are who you are, see book and video below. And get a DNA test, it is fascinating stuff.

Another book to read: 'Robert Plomin on Blueprint: how our DNA makes us who we are'

Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One writer I missed in the list above is Robyn M. Dawes' 'House of cards : psychology and psychotherapy built on myth'. Fascinating read on a topic that enters the lives of so many families.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ouse_of_cards_

Also check out 'Rational Choice in an Uncertain World: The Psychology of Judgment and Decision Making' Reid Hasti / Robyn M. Dawes. If that topic is of interest.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ncertain_World

And humor is a must if we are to remain human. I liked George Saunders' early stuff but later work seems strained. Saw this today, Sam Lipsyte, 'Hark' may check it out. Kurt Vonnegut is still funny and readable too. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40538674-hark

I love books on life and work different from ours, may check this out, Doug Bock Clark, 'The Last Whalers'.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-last-whalers

This site was inspiration for repost: https://lithub.com/13-books-you-shou...-this-january/

Advice - Read: https://lithub.com/whats-needed-is-m...ruki-murakami/

http://flavorwire.com/360910/10-of-o...living-authors
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another piece on quotes, I decided to post some of my favorites, mostly short quotations. Enjoy.

http://midcan5.blogspot.com/2019/02/...quotes-in.html

"Quotes are the mental furniture of my life. From certain angles my inner landscape resembles a gallery hung with half-recalled citations, the rags and tag-ends of a lifetime of reading and listening." Geoffrey O’Brien

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Some suggestions for reading in the new year, please be aware should you accept the challenge of reading a few of the books listed below you will be changed. Proceed with caution. Great Holiday gifts too for the thoughtful reader.

“One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” Cassandra Clare

Alpha order. Various topics.

'Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle' by Daniel L. Everett
    'Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis' by J. D. Vance
    'Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain' David Eagleman
    'Merchants of Doubt' by Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway
    'On Human Nature' by Edward O. Wilson
    'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder
    'One of Us: The Story of a Massacre in Norway - and Its Aftermath' by Seierstad, Åsne and Sarah Death
    'Paul Farmer: Servant to the Poor' by Jennie Weiss Block
    'Prehistory: The Making Of The Human Mind' by Colin Renfrew
    'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' Carl Sagan
    'The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century' by Peter Watson
    'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' Albert O. Hirschman
    'The Unpersuadables: Adventures with the Enemies of Science' by Will Storr
    'Voltaire's Bas-tards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West' John Ralston Saul
    'World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech' by Franklin Foer
    'Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance' By Robert Pirsig

Check Goodreads for reviews, many of the books are challenging and they will change you and change the way you see. Best of luck.

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey
    So...

...is they principle villain in the "Unpersuadables" book those lying jerks who keep telling us that we are all going to die, in the next decade, because cows fart?
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We are here on Earth to fart around." Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Gleed View Post
    So... ...is they principle villain in the "Unpersuadables" book those lying jerks who keep telling us that we are all going to die, in the next decade, because cows fart?

Not at all, it is a fascinating read, one of those books that can change the way you see the world or at least on a smaller scale lots of it. Read it, you will be glad you did, and wiser too. It goes both ways in direction, read it and you'll see why.

Change of pace, I am reading four books at the moment, bad habit but good too. I am re-reading two of Kurt Vonnegut's non fiction books. Vonnegut has a magical and often profound way of saying hard things in a comical manner. I may quote a bit of it in another post, but again excellent writing and deep thoughts on all subjects.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...rse_Than_Death

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...hout_a_Country

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center." Kurt Vonnegut

"Evolution can go to hell as far as I am concerned. What a mistake we are. We have mortally wounded this sweet life-supporting planet - the only one in the whole Milky Way - with a century of transportation whoopee." Kurt Vonnegut

"Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter could be said to remedy anything." Kurt Vonnegut

"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy." Kurt Vonnegut

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (04-08-2022),Helena (08-17-2019),stephenpe (08-09-2020)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we can certainly understand your preoccupation with nihilism

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any Charles Bowden readers out there?

No, not that I'm aware of.

https://aeon.co/essays/in-memory-of-...d-a-sensualist

"He had the most interesting and original mind that I ever got to know well. It cut right through the conventional wisdom and surface veneer to the stark uncomfortable truth. His intellectual honesty compelled him to fully acknowledge the horrors and pointlessness of the human experiment in this world, but he never lost his sense of wonder or curiosity. Even as he catalogued the monstrous dystopias emerging from social and political collapse in Mexico, even as he prophesied the bleakest of futures for our ransacked planet, his love of life was undiminished – mainly because he could take such pleasure from the colour of a bird’s throat, the feel of a woman’s thigh under his fingertips, the rain falling like arrows on the desert as the sky convulsed in thunder." from essay above

babble babble ... "horrors and pointlessness of the human experiment" ... babble babble.

Really? Was Bowden a religious man?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (08-19-2019)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGIS View Post
    The last thing Mexico is, is a free market economy. There are, I think, seven families that control virtually all of the land and infrastructure in Mexico. And, of course, the government, which is a typical 3rd world kleptocracy. It's essentially a feudal nation.
    So you now understand why Trump is so protective of the US economy from places like Mexico and China. The US is unique in the world in terms of culture and its ecomomy.

So lets agree we should be careful who we let in to the country as not to build the underclass they have in China and Mexico. He wants to deregulate and lower taxes to keep the economy functioning free.

Congratulations @midcan5 You are officially on the MAGA team. The President appreciates your vote in 2020
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

blackjack21 (10-28-2022)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,666
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,164x in 6,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some suggestions for reading in the new year, please be aware should you accept the challenge of reading a few of the books listed below you will be changed. Proceed with caution. Great Holiday gifts too for the thoughtful reader.

“One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” Cassandra Clare

Alpha order. Various topics.

'Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle' by Daniel L. Everett
    'Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis' by J. D. Vance
    'Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain' David Eagleman
    'Merchants of Doubt' by Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway
    'On Human Nature' by Edward O. Wilson
    'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder
    'One of Us: The Story of a Massacre in Norway - and Its Aftermath' by Seierstad, Åsne and Sarah Death
    'Paul Farmer: Servant to the Poor' by Jennie Weiss Block
    'Prehistory: The Making Of The Human Mind' by Colin Renfrew
    'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' Carl Sagan
    'The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century' by Peter Watson
    'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' Albert O. Hirschman
    'The Unpersuadables: Adventures with the Enemies of Science' by Will Storr
    'Voltaire's Bas-tards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West' John Ralston Saul
    'World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech' by Franklin Foer
    'Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance' By Robert Pirsig

Check Goodreads for reviews, many of the books are challenging and they will change you and change the way you see. Best of luck.

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey
    I highly recommend Hillbilly Ellegy. We read this one as a club and I have experience with the same kind of folks as I married into a family and also had neighbors from the same areas. He outlines the culture very very well. If I were to deal with anyone on a person to person basis, I would choose people from this culture because their word is highly important and they take care of issues themselves which is refreshing in today's complain first, sue next culture.

Murder City by Bowden looks like a good pick for reading.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    No, not that I'm aware of.

babble babble ... "horrors and pointlessness of the human experiment" ... babble babble.

Really? Was Bowden a religious man?
    Frankly, I think academia is rotten -- in religious terms, hell bound.
    Last edited by Lummy; 08-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread