Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Bet You Did NOT Know This About President Johnson

Lyndon Johnson was different -- in a very specific way, but very few knew it because those "in the know" kept their mouths shut.

If a president did this today, he'd probably be labeled a pervert and relegated to the sexual predator's list.

My question is -- was LBJ odd? Or, are we too sensitive today?

He early became fabled for a Rabelaisian earthiness, urinating in the parking lot of the House Office Building as the urge took him; if a colleague came into a Capitol bathroom as he was finishing at the urinal there, he would sometimes swing around still holding his member, which he liked to call "Jumbo," hooting once, "Have you ever seen anything as big as this?," and shaking it in almost a brandishing manner as he began discoursing about some pending legislation.
    http://gawker.com/lbj-was-obsessed-w...ick-1694599317

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,543x in 94,965 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sure most presidents had strange weird and sometimes really screwed up peculiarities. Truth be told the american public knows NOTHING. We only "hear" and "see" what were allowed.

When someone tells us anything about the candidate we love that we dont like we Condemn them, lacerate them, refute their statement with hot air and just generally reject anything we dont want to hear.

Oh and no I didnt know he did that,
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-27-2016)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Im sure most presidents had strange weird and sometimes really screwed up peculiarities. Truth be told the american public knows NOTHING. We only "hear" and "see" what were allowed.
    Very true -- and I think presidents, unlike the average citizen, are a wired a bit differently. It takes a certain personality - or perhaps "personality flaw" for someone to seek that kind of power. Very few are up to the task.

LBJ was obsessed with his privates and would drop his pants in the Oval Office for a show and tell.

That's a guy who thinks a whole lot of himself. He thinks he's untouchable.

We find out those odd tidbits after the fact, today, as people go back through personal letters and memoirs. I've heard that Eleanore Roosevelt was likely lesbian, but I don't know if that was proven. Mary Todd Lincoln had shopping problems and was accused of using taxpayer monies for her extravagant purchases. Her son eventually put her in the nut house.

I find it interesting to get a glimpse into the mental workings of these historical figures.

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Very true -- and I think presidents, unlike the average citizen, are a wired a bit differently. It takes a certain personality - or perhaps "personality flaw" for someone to seek that kind of power. Very few are up to the task.

LBJ was obsessed with his privates and would drop his pants in the Oval Office for a show and tell.

That's a guy who thinks a whole lot of himself. He thinks he's untouchable.

We find out those odd tidbits after the fact, today, as people go back through personal letters and memoirs. I've heard that Eleanore Roosevelt was likely lesbian, but I don't know if that was proven. Mary Todd Lincoln had shopping problems and was accused of using taxpayer monies for her extravagant purchases. Her son eventually put her in the nut house.

I find it interesting to get a glimpse into the mental workings of these historical figures.
    Ive read LBJ was an incompetent low class POS before and that he was carried by those around him. Not too well I might add. Shows you the state of our politics
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (08-27-2016)

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one of the great ones

LBJ is in the top five, maybe a sob some of time, maybe a bit crude having come from the working class poor, but he was one helluva president. Makes everyone who came after him mediocre. Nam did him in and he knew it if you read his words. But the right wing in America only whines, if there is a god, she has welcomed home one of her better works. Look only what he did for all Americans. Did some of it fail, of course, the powers of negativity always fights the good. Nothing new there. Humans remain humans, weak envious and often stupid.

"[A] presidential library that opened in the early seventies to the howls of 2,000 protesters and the only one of the eleven that has no admission charge- Lyndon is rising from his long black night, shaking his big-eared head, brushing those damned yellow rose petals off his britches, and coming awake after all those years of JFK worship, after the ringing in his ears from punks like me shouting, HEY HEY LBJ / HOW MANY KIDS DID YOU KILL TODAY! getting up as the American presidency toddles through the Clinton years after crawling through the Bush years and spending what out of kindness we might call the Dreamtime of the Reagan years. Lyndon's arising, clearing his throat, and letting loose with a yowl that cuts right through the cloud of Prozac hanging over the republic like the scream of a mountain lion coming off the peak in the night, and we snap alert and realize that after this cavalcade, one captured in paint by Ike Morgan - this cavalcade of Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton-Lyndon Baines Johnson, the man who took us to Nam in a hand basket, the man described by George Reedy, his own presidential press secretary, in this way: Were there nothing to look at save LBJ's personal relationships with other people, it would be merciful to forget him altogether. But there is much more to look at. He may have been a son of a $#@!, but he was a colossal son of a $#@! ... " Well, this Johnson may have been the last president who knew how to run the government and the last one to really have any practical handle on this vision stuff.

I know, you think I'm into the paint thinner again, but listen up: Head Start, civil rights, education, endowments for the arts and humanities. Medicare, clean air and water, wilderness protection, urban housing - that terrible big government we denounce and then we hitch up our pants and belly up to was built by Johnson. John Kennedy went down in Dallas November 22, 1963, with a legislative program that had been largely frozen since he took office, and by June 1964 LBJ had begun to ram 400 bills through the U.S. Congress. The man was compulsive. When we put the boots to him, and he went back to his ranch on the Pedernales, he told his hands, "I want each of you to make a solemn pledge that you will not go to bed tonight until you are sure that every steer has everything he needs. We've got a chance of producing some of the finest beef in this country if we work at it, if we dedicate ourselves to the job. And if we treat those hens with loving care, we should be able to produce the finest eggs in the country. Really fresh. But it will mean working every minute of every day." Yessssssssssir." Charles Bowden, 'Ike and Lyndon' Harper's Magazine, March 2000

"In the Great Society, work shall be an outlet for mans interests and desires. Each individual shall have full opportunity to use his capacities in employment which satisfies personally and contributes generally to the quality of the Nations life." Lyndon B. Johnson
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you meant Andrew Johnson. He was illiterate and uneducated until his wife taught him to read and write. He was a tailor by trade. He was a Democrat and only chosen by Lincoln to be his VP in order to bring Tennessee back into the union.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    valley ranch's Avatar Senior Member
    Sierra Nevada Mountains and Nevada High Desert
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,068x in 830 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lynden Johnson~Andrew Johnson Oh, Oh, Johnsons! Could this be something Lincoln planed?

Never been to Tennessee, but wouldn't put it past Lynden.

Nathan, were you the nathan that had a sailboat on his avatar?

I'm getting another cupa.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valley ranch View Post
    Lynden Johnson~Andrew Johnson Oh, Oh, Johnsons! Could this be something Lincoln planed?

Never been to Tennessee, but wouldn't put it past Lynden.

Nathan, were you the nathan that had a sailboat on his avatar?

I'm getting another cupa.
    UMM

I have a sailboat on my avatar now don't I?

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,069
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Lyndon Johnson was different -- in a very specific way, but very few knew it because those "in the know" kept their mouths shut.

If a president did this today, he'd probably be labeled a pervert and relegated to the sexual predator's list.

My question is -- was LBJ odd? Or, are we too sensitive today?

http://gawker.com/lbj-was-obsessed-w...ick-1694599317
    Johnson was a crude $#@!.
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

+ Reply to Thread