Thanked 5,850x in 4,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good BLM article!

Says a lot of things i didnt even consider:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...matter/421839/

A lot changed in a year. Black Lives Matter, the civil-rights protest movement that rose to prominence after Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, expanded its reach onto the campaign trail and college campuses. The movement forced presidential candidates to reckon with a legacy of racism and police brutality. It inspired student protests and demands.

Along the way, the movement provoked backlash, and experienced growing pains. As protestors shout and struggle to make their voices heard, a national conversation of equal intensity is emerging over who belongs in American society—and who doesn’t. When Donald Trump supporters attacked a Black Lives Matter protester at a November rally, the Republican presidential candidate responded: “Maybe he should have been roughed up.”

Activists are disturbed by the dark turn the election has taken. But backlash against Black Lives Matter is virtually guaranteed to galvanize support for the movement. Videos of deadly encounters between black men and police officers have fueled calls for reform. In much the same way, reports of racial slurs at Trump rallies make it difficult to deny the problem of racism in America.

“It’s terrible, but I don’t think it’s anything different than what’s been happening in this country for a long time. This hatred has been normal for a while, it’s just been in the shadows,” Alicia Garza, one of the co-founders of #BlackLivesMatter, an organization that shares a name with the movement it helps support, said in an interview.

The challenge, for the movement, is to stem the tide of violence against black men and women while working to fix what activists believe is a fragmented and broken society. It’s an ambition that won’t be easily achieved. But as the movement evolves and expands, it has forced change.

Over the summer, activists began publicly, and unapologetically, disrupting presidential candidates at events and campaign rallies. The strategy got results. Democratic candidates Bernie Sanders and Martin O’Malley rushed to release detailed criminal-justice platforms after high-profile clashes with Black Lives Matter activists. In August, Hillary Clinton convened a meeting with activists who showed up at a New Hampshire campaign event intending to disrupt it.

The confrontations signaled the start of increasingly high-profile political engagement for the decentralized movement. They also laid bare the complicated and tense relationship between the movement and the progressive left. Liberal Americans often assume that voting Democratic and espousing a belief in equality are adequate proofs of solidarity in the fight against racism. In the past year, Black Lives Matter challenged that idea.

Some progressives questioned the logic of targeting politicians who claim to be sympathetic to the cause. What that criticism seemed to miss is that the confrontations were designed to push candidates further than they had been prepared to go. The protests were also a reminder to progressives that simply believing in something isn’t sufficient to change the status quo.

“Part of what we need people to understand is that their silence, their complicity, is part of the problem,” said Ashley Yates, a Black Lives Matter activist who helped plan and carry out a protest at Netroots Nation, a conference where Sanders and O’Malley were slated to speak in July. “There’s an absurd quality to the idea of people telling you to be calm and controlled in your pain. To whisper quietly as you’re being killed.”

(much more in link)
    At the end of the day...I am still glad that I am me. Tail and all.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's their purpose?

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get attention, which they have done.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In my opinion BLM is doing nothing and has done nothing to bridge racial divides nor truly work with police departments to bridge those divides either. What they have successfully done though is polarize whole groups of people and discredit their movement.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:

Jets (08-31-2016),Ravens Fan (08-31-2016),Subdermal (08-31-2016),Truth Detector (08-31-2016),zelmo1234 (08-31-2016)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    To get attention, which they have done.
    Not all attention is constructive, or created equal.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (08-31-2016),Subdermal (08-31-2016),zelmo1234 (08-31-2016)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    In my opinion BLM is doing nothing and has done nothing to bridge racial divides nor truly work with police departments to bridge those divides either. What they have successfully done though is polarize whole groups of people and discredit their movement.
    If you haven't noticed, you're becoming quite the RWNJ lately.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    exploited's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,218x in 896 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a lengthy post about BLM on another forum, and I'd like to share it here, as it reflects my perspective. I've removed the names of other posters where they appear.

The post I was responding to:

I have no doubt Fox will still freak out. But Fox viewers are beyond reaching. This is about reaching those of us in the middle who recognize the plight of black people in America but aren't especially interested in throwing our support behind a group the fringes of which appear comfortable with murder.
    A couple things to consider here.

First, your support is utterly irrelevant to BLM. Let me repeat: they do not care if you support them. After all, moderates such as yourself, S*****, K***, etc. already "recognize the plight of black people in America." What this means is that, regardless of what BLM does, there is a very good chance that you'll support a big chunk of their strategic objectives anyways. You'll support body cams, ending racial profiling, better resources for public defenders, ending all discriminatory sentencing practices, community policing, ending the War on Drugs, better education in ghettos, that kind of thing.

Second, BLM does not exist to convince other people that they are wrong and BLM is right. As S** pointed out, BLM is combative and radical. The reason they exist is to set the outer boundaries of acceptable action and speech in these times, and to keep these issues at the forefront. They could honestly care less if you agree with them. In fact, if you disagree with them, all the better, because that creates opportunities for them to make sure that this debate doesn't slip from the collective consciousness, as it has time and again.

Third, the reason why BLM is so decentralized, and lacks a real leadership structure, is due to the point made above. They aren't trying to lead the charge. They are more like the drummers in a war party than they are the rank and file. Their only job is to intimidate the enemy, provide a focal point for unit organization, and rile up the troops. The people who do the actual fighting - which in this analogy means mundane things like knocking on doors, mailing newsletters, petitioning Congressmen, attending council meetings, etc. - are left to their own devices, to do what they do best.

The effect is is simple and effective: you can either implement reforms requested by 81 year old Dorothy Walker in the council meeting, or you can go back outside to get harassed by the mob. Either way, the issue of race isn't going away. BLM will not compromise and it shouldn't. You can argue that their methods are rude, insensitive, uncaring, irresponsible, whatever. The point as I understand it, is that we are finally seeing another authentic black movement, driven by youth, that wants to address serious issues in their community.

Some people in the movement are stupid, some are mean, some are amazing, most are just average. So what? Are you really going to stand in the way of progress because the methods aren't pure? Of course not. You'd say Obama was a good President, despite the fact that he is responsible for killing thousands of innocent people. And yet BLM, a group with tens of millions of supporters (65% of blacks and 40% of whites in America), should be judged on the actions of two men? It is absurd. BLM deserves your support, even if it doesn't care for it.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    No it's just you can be for an end to unnecessary police force and an end to racial divides in this country without supporting a group that advocates for positions that would make MLK Jr roll over in his grave in my opinion. They spend more time protesting a bad cop vs civilian interaction and virtually no time protesting violence in general, or the horrible violence in Chicago right now. I find many of BLM's members and supporters to be selfish, hypocritical, and harmful to actual long term cooperation between white/black/police.

I'll admit that I have a slight bias since one of my older brothers is an Oregon state police officer and so there is a personal level that bothers me when BLM members negatively generalize the police, as they often do.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:

Ravens Fan (08-31-2016),Subdermal (08-31-2016),zelmo1234 (08-31-2016)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    She just has a brain and a spine. It's pretty refreshing tbh.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

AZ Jim (08-31-2016),Ravens Fan (08-31-2016),Subdermal (08-31-2016),zelmo1234 (08-31-2016)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BLM is a racist hate group

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Subdermal (08-31-2016),zelmo1234 (08-31-2016)

+ Reply to Thread