Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,626x in 14,846 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life is good in the hills.

Last night we had home raised pork chops from a hog my daughter and family raised a while back. If you have never had home raised pork, try it, it literally taste like a different animal than the factory farm , super dry version offered in the grocery store.
    Tonight , steak from a grass fed side of beef we bought a couple of years ago and tomorrow night goose, thanks to my brother in law's early goose season success. I didn't get to go. Damn work interferes with my recreational life! LOL

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (09-29-2016),Peter1469 (09-29-2016),stjames1_53 (09-29-2016)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy sitting on my back balcony, smoking my pipe and watching the animals feed in the corner of my property. I have about a half acre cleared and the rest is heavily wooded. I put shelled corn right at the wood line and attract deer, fox, rabbits, bears, raccoons, possum, more birds than I can name. I have my own private zoo 50 yards away from me

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (09-29-2016),donttread (09-29-2016),Peter1469 (09-29-2016)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,430x in 94,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Last night we had home raised pork chops from a hog my daughter and family raised a while back. If you have never had home raised pork, try it, it literally taste like a different animal than the factory farm , super dry version offered in the grocery store.
    Tonight , steak from a grass fed side of beef we bought a couple of years ago and tomorrow night goose, thanks to my brother in law's early goose season success. I didn't get to go. Damn work interferes with my recreational life! LOL
    You are lucky you live in a pretty part of the country.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I enjoy sitting on my back balcony, smoking my pipe and watching the animals feed in the corner of my property. I have about a half acre cleared and the rest is heavily wooded. I put shelled corn right at the wood line and attract deer, fox, rabbits, bears, raccoons, possum, more birds than I can name. I have my own private zoo 50 yards away from me

Sounds great.

I love going outside whenever I get a break. No bears in my neck of the woods, thank goodness, but deer, pheasant, wild turkey, raccoons and rabbits. We don't hunt them -- rather offer them a little sanctuary from hunters. We put out corn and deer licks, hoping they'll stay here instead of wandering during hunting season.

And, like you, lots and lots of birds. I have a winding path through the trees, a 3/4-mile loop that I walk with the dogs. They sniff and snoop every little crevice and log, hoping for a chance to chase a rabbit.

I love living in the country. Great sunrises and sunsets, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

donttread (09-30-2016)

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,440x in 20,404 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I head north once a year and load up on grain-fed beef. It's an all day event. 4 hours up, 4 hours back, then splitting it up for freezer duty. I gotta give credit to those seal-a-meals..............best investment I've made next to canning jars
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

donttread (09-30-2016),Peter1469 (09-29-2016)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    You are lucky you live in a pretty part of the country.
    It's great , but we do pay for it for a few months in the winter. Three foot snow storms, -40 with occasssional whole weekends where the the therometer stays below zero. We've already had 3 hard frost etc. But I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. Well until retirement time and then I have no intention of being here during those months!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-29-2016)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great , but we do pay for it for a few months in the winter. Three foot snow storms, -40 with occasssional whole weekends where the the therometer stays below zero. We've already had 3 hard frost etc. But I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. Well until retirement time and then I have no intention of being here during those months!
    I know what you mean. I live in East Tennessee about 50 miles east of Knoxville. I don't have the number or amount of snow storms you experience, its usually only about 2 to 3 weeks when the temps are around the zero mark but I live so far back in the hills I can't get up or down my road when the snow is over a foot deep. So, for a week or more I move into my "winter quarters" (The local Best Western) so I can get back and forth to work.

But the other 50 weeks out of the year are what paradise must be!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. I live in East Tennessee about 50 miles east of Knoxville. I don't have the number or amount of snow storms you experience, its usually only about 2 to 3 weeks when the temps are around the zero mark but I live so far back in the hills I can't get up or down my road when the snow is over a foot deep. So, for a week or more I move into my "winter quarters" (The local Best Western) so I can get back and forth to work.

But the other 50 weeks out of the year are what paradise must be!

Interesting, what are your summers like? Our preference will be summers here in NNY and winters in Florida. But if we can't maintain two places when we are ready to retire the mid south is our likely destination. I would be willing to trade some snow ( I can shove a foot of dry snow out of my 1300 square foot driveway in my sleep for a few weeks for resonable summer temps. My wife is a golf addict so available golf 10-11 months out of the year would be a requirenent. Me I love outdoors, hunting, fishing, walking back roads and will only be discouraged by hard core winter conditions. So a 30 degree sunny February day I can esily amuse myself outdoors.
    Have you though of getting an old plow truck or are you too far down the road for that

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically live in town, sort of in the middle of town but it's one of those little Adirondack towns and we are surrounded by wilnerness including what is probably one of the largest tracks of unbroken wilderness east of the Mississipi .
    So we have deer and bear in town and I've waged garden wars with a groundhog and some squirrels and we have lots of birds ( including crows who attack the garden and garbage and woodpeckers who beat on the side of the house and are startlingly loud ) despite the fact that the neighborhood Raccoon broke by bird feeder. I live on the water so lots of ducks, geese and fish , we don't hunt in town of course but we occassionally keep a nice trout or bass for dinner. I've had fox on the green with myself and several others at the local golf course. In fact they stole golf balls. It was quite a treat until they stole a nice drive. LOL. I've heard Bobacat in town as a child ( a sound you'll never forget) I guess about the only critter that stays 100% clear of our little village is the Fisher, but that is their reputation. Solitary, very shy and bad ass mean.
    It's not all good though, young people have to leave our town for work, the mills are gone and there is one adirondack town a bit over an hour away that has twice qualified employment producing projects through the almost impossible Adirondack Park Agency only to have the Sirrea Club ( who apparently lost their map, put them on hold forever.) A resort, with envinomentalism built in and a prison .
    Sure we want some of this preserved for our grandchildren, but people forget we were pretty damn good stewards of the wilderness even when we had jobs that gave those grandchildren the choice to stay and way before the APA expanded in 1973. Most of the people making the restrictive rules for us don't have to live by the same set of rules and may guzzel energy in city high rises while driving Beamers and Hummers.
    I feel that the same exact enviromental rules should apply statewide. What's already there is grandfathered in . We're not going to dismantle Albany . But if you want to sub divide your family land for your kids and maybe sell a lot or two , or want a commercial variance in the lightly populted area west of Albany. Sorry , no go. Fair is fair and an abubudence of birds in one place does nothing to protect there migration routes.
    I apologize for the length of this post but to any who might be interested it should give you some insight into Dontread, the half social , , empathy displaying nice guy/ half bitter old man , despite the fact that he personally has it not so bad. .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-30-2016)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, what are your summers like? Our preference will be summers here in NNY and winters in Florida. But if we can't maintain two places when we are ready to retire the mid south is our likely destination. I would be willing to trade some snow ( I can shove a foot of dry snow out of my 1300 square foot driveway in my sleep for a few weeks for resonable summer temps. My wife is a golf addict so available golf 10-11 months out of the year would be a requirenent. Me I love outdoors, hunting, fishing, walking back roads and will only be discouraged by hard core winter conditions. So a 30 degree sunny February day I can esily amuse myself outdoors.
    Have you though of getting an old plow truck or are you too far down the road for that
    You can answer NF. Our retirement is a few years away and I promise not to move in next door. LOL I was just thinging that if eastern KY got that cold in the Winter, maybe it didn't get as damn hot in the summer as other parts of the mid-south do. Are you at some elevation?

+ Reply to Thread