Standing Wolf's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,771x in 3,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure I don't have a copy of 'Mein Kampf' at this time, but I do own a copy of David Duke's 'My Awakening'. I picked it up at a local thrift shop a few years ago for a couple of dollars, and thought it might be interesting to read the man's thinking first-hand, but at this point I seriously doubt that I will ever take the time to do that. The thing is...it's a signed copy, and I'm torn between just letting the thing take up shelf space or either selling it or donating it somewhere. If I put something like that on eBay - assuming they even accepted the listing - a lot of people would probably assume that I was promoting or endorsing Duke's ideas by selling the book. I could donate the thing to a charity thrift shop or book sale, but then you'd potentially have people going ballistic when they saw it there, or - worse - potentially have someone buy it, read it and have their beliefs reinforced by it.

A number of years ago, when John Wayne Gacy was still alive and in prison, I had an opportunity to buy a couple of his clown paintings for a really good price, and I almost did it. Glad now that I did not, because, if anything, divesting oneself of something like that would be even more problematic than having the signed Duke volume and not quite knowing what to do with it.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers until he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions."

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,722x in 3,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    The problem as I see it with banning anything is that it creates a "forbidden" mystique, and folks (especially young folks) like nothing more than to figure out why something is forbidden. It's a lure.
    I get it and I agree.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (03-17-2017),Mechanic (03-22-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,081x in 18,188 Posts
    Mentioned
    823 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I'm pretty sure I don't have a copy of 'Mein Kampf' at this time, but I do own a copy of David Duke's 'My Awakening'. I picked it up at a local thrift shop a few years ago for a couple of dollars, and thought it might be interesting to read the man's thinking first-hand, but at this point I seriously doubt that I will ever take the time to do that. The thing is...it's a signed copy, and I'm torn between just letting the thing take up shelf space or either selling it or donating it somewhere. If I put something like that on eBay - assuming they even accepted the listing - a lot of people would probably assume that I was promoting or endorsing Duke's ideas by selling the book. I could donate the thing to a charity thrift shop or book sale, but then you'd potentially have people going ballistic when they saw it there, or - worse - potentially have someone buy it, read it and have their beliefs reinforced by it.

A number of years ago, when John Wayne Gacy was still alive and in prison, I had an opportunity to buy a couple of his clown paintings for a really good price, and I almost did it. Glad now that I did not, because, if anything, divesting oneself of something like that would be even more problematic than having the signed Duke volume and not quite knowing what to do with it.
    Hitler had interesting insights into European history, the role of Jews and so on but it's not something you can't get elsewhere. I had a copy at one point but I don't know what happened to it.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,917x in 4,646 Posts
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I can acknowledge the good that came out of the Roman Empire without thinking the empire itself was 100% good, but that's a debate for another time.
    Good came out of the Nazis too - medical sciences and project paperclip.

It is what it is.

Fear profits a man nothing.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,081x in 18,188 Posts
    Mentioned
    823 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love me some Romans...
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,334x in 13,226 Posts
    Mentioned
    1129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post

There are dealers in such material if you don't care that it is sold to someone espousing those views.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (03-17-2017)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,289x in 14,627 Posts
    Mentioned
    1598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I wouldn't read it. I wouldn't ban it, but I wouldn't let my children read it nor would I let it in my home. Y'know, thinking about it, I might ban it. Maybe. Possibly. There's a line. It's way out there. I've complained about one (1) post since I've been here. It was a vile anti-Semitic post that I asked a mod to remove. It was so so so vile, it crossed the line -- a line that I thought was universally recognized. To me, that book might be the one or two that is universally recognized. Like @Bethere, I'm not a book burner, I'm a free-speecher, I might though.
    I read many books I find vile and that espouse views I find abhorrent. As I quoted in the OP, we mustn't hide such things away and refuse to be knowledgable about them, because that ensures it will happen again.
    "We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality, but by the higher duty I owe to myself."
    - Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926), American labor leader

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Green Arrow For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (03-18-2017),Mechanic (03-22-2017),William (03-17-2017)

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    Green Arrow's Avatar Overlord
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,289x in 14,627 Posts
    Mentioned
    1598 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Good came out of the Nazis too - medical sciences and project paperclip.

It is what it is.

Fear profits a man nothing.
    "Project Paperclip" wasn't because of Nazi effort, though, it was the result of American subterfuge.
    "We were taught under the old ethic that man's business on this earth was to look out for himself. That was the ethic of the jungle; the ethic of the wild beast. Take care of yourself, no matter what may become of your fellow man. Yes, I am my brother's keeper. I am under a moral obligation to him that is inspired, not by any maudlin sentimentality, but by the higher duty I owe to myself."
    - Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926), American labor leader

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Arrow For This Useful Post:

Mechanic (03-22-2017)

Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,391x in 3,907 Posts
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Hitler had interesting insights into European history, the role of Jews and so on but it's not something you can't get elsewhere. I had a copy at one point but I don't know what happened to it.
    A lot of Hitler's reasoning was based on guys like Nietzsche and Martin Luther. You're right, there's nothing Hitler wrote that hasn't been written before or after and still exists in the academic world.

While I don't remember exactly what passages from Mein Kampf we studied in Civics, I remember the overall class attitude that even reading them was wrong. I, myself, adopted that same attitude until somewhat recently when it dawned on me that Hitler's writings are just words and that I should treat them as I do the words of anyone else...with a grain of salt.

Somewhere I have a hard copy, but now that I found the online text, I won't have to go dig it out of one of my many boxes of books. If GA is still interested, that is. I don't know that I'm up for reading the whole thing -- but, I'd read and comment on individual sections.
    “I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.”
    ~Leonardo da Vinci

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class1 year registered
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,722x in 3,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
    I read many books I find vile and that espouse views I find abhorrent. As I quoted in the OP, we mustn't hide such things away and refuse to be knowledgable about them, because that ensures it will happen again.
    Agreed.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (03-18-2017)

+ Reply to Thread