Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how much killer bees have played in the diminished number of honey bees.
    I read that less than half the number of killer bees can wipe out an american killer bee hive in minutes
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I wonder how much killer bees have played in the diminished number of honey bees.
    I read that less than half the number of killer bees can wipe out an american killer bee hive in minutes
    Not sure. The killer bee phenom was all the rage for a short while then vanished, kind of like ebola.

I think the premise with bees now is thought to be environmental somehow but that's the mystery.

Same thing for frogs a while back.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,251x in 27,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Not sure. The killer bee phenom was all the rage for a short while then vanished, kind of like ebola.

I think the premise with bees now is thought to be environmental somehow but that's the mystery.

Same thing for frogs a while back.
    I hope the same thing will happen with Islamists.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada to Phase Out Crop Chemicals Linked to Bee Deaths...

Canada to Phase Out Crop Chemicals Linked to Bee Deaths
    August 15, 2018 — The Canadian government said on Wednesday it would move to restrict use of two types of crop chemicals that have been linked to deaths of aquatic insects and bees, in a victory for environmentalists and the latest setback for companies that sell the pesticides.
    Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) said it would phase out, over three to five years, the outdoor use of thiamethoxam, made by Syngenta AG, and clothianidin, produced by Bayer AG. A review found the chemicals at levels in water bodies high enough to harm aquatic insects that are food for fish and birds. The widely used chemicals protect corn, soybean and canola crops from insect damage. Health Canada's move is subject to a 90-day consultation period, followed by final decisions in late 2019. Neonicotinoids, also called neonics, are a class of pesticides applied as a seed treatment or sprayed on leaves.

Neonics have drawn scrutiny after research pointed to risks for honey bees, which have been in decline in North America, possibly due to pesticides, loss of habitat and climate change. Health Canada also plans a final decision by the end of this year whether to phase out a third neonic, Bayer's imidacloprid. Canada's moves come after European Union countries in April backed a proposal to ban all outdoor use of neonics.

The suburban Minneapolis headquarters of Syngenta in Minnetonka, Minn.

The United States has not taken similar action, but is reviewing neonics and plans to seek public comment on proposed action next spring, a spokesperson for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said. Ontario beekeepers blame overuse of neonics for devastating honey bees, after an estimated 46 percent of colonies in the province did not survive winter. "I'm thankful we're going to see a phase-out. I'd like it to happen sooner," said Jim Coneybeare, present of the Ontario Beekeepers' Association.

Alberta beekeeper David Tharle, however, said neonic use on canola fields has not harmed his hives, and he worries farmers will turn to harsher chemicals. "I haven't seen [neonics] affect the bees one iota." Neonics are an "important tool" for farmers, with few alternatives, said Barry Senft, CEO of Grain Farmers of Ontario. Syngenta is disappointed with the decision and believes the PMRA did not consider all relevant information, said Chris Davidson, spokesman for the company's Canadian unit. Bayer believes clothianidin has a "favorable environmental profile," said Paul Thiel, vice-president of innovation and public affairs at Bayer CropScience.

https://www.voanews.com/a/canada-to-...s/4530244.html

+ Reply to Thread