Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
Roughly 99 percent of the time, I thoroughly agree with you. On this particular point, however, I will have to demur.

I have Federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield healthcare insurance--my late wife (who had worked at the VA) left it to me--and it is simply superb: It first knocks down the "Submitted Charges" to the "Plan Allowance" (which is often just a fraction of the former); then it pays 85 percent of the Plan Allowance; and it actually pays 100 percent toward hospitalization. (Doctors' charges are separate, of course).

Perhaps most importantly, it carries a $1,000 per year annual cap, for an individual. (I have since remarried; but my wife is not on my plan, as it is an annuity, and therefore I cannot put anyone else on it. She has Medicare, plus a Medigap plan.)
it's not the nature of the plan, it is what they do with that money that disturbs me. The VA hospital in Fort Wayne is still using equipment dated to the Korean War. They are sorely understaffed while the higher ups get fantastic bonuses and throw lavish parties.
The VA needs to be run in a proper manner and must answer to it's membership. New equipment and well trained staff.
I had cataract surgery that was done by hand, not laser. That's how outdated that place is......