Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,385x in 1,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    This is still America and people have a right to their opinions.
    A newspaper is a corporation, are you endorsing the citizens united decision?
    We must have the clarity of vision to see the difference between what is essential and what is merely desirable, and then the courage to bring our government back under control and make it acceptable to the people. - Ronald Reagan, 1980 Nomination Acceptance Speech

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Professor Peabody For This Useful Post:

MMC (12-29-2016)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Peabody View Post
    162 out of 10,000 subscribers isn't a whole bunch. However, losing 11 of it's largest advertisers including it's largest account has gotta hurt. Hopefully, the good people of OK will refuse to advertise with the paper and drive them right outta business. They have a right to their opinion, publishing it with an endorsement of an unpopular candidate in their area comes with pitfalls. Maybe next time they will remain neutral....if there is a next time.
    So, you feel they should be penalized for expressing an opinion under the first amendment? How arcane of you.

Did you ever think of the impact it would have on the employees of the paper such as the proof readers, clerical staff, support staff, truck drivers who deliver the paper, etc who might have been Trump supporters but were not a part of the editorial staff? They could be out on the street due to no fault of their own.

What you are asking basically is to censor those whose opinion differs from yours. Very Un-American of you.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Professor Peabody's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,385x in 1,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    So, you feel they should be penalized for expressing an opinion under the first amendment? How arcane of you.
    No I don't. They should know better. Their opinions would be welcome in the north east, are shunned in Garfield county OK who voted 74% to Trump.
    We must have the clarity of vision to see the difference between what is essential and what is merely desirable, and then the courage to bring our government back under control and make it acceptable to the people. - Ronald Reagan, 1980 Nomination Acceptance Speech

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Professor Peabody For This Useful Post:

Bob the Slob (12-29-2016)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bob the Slob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 300x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Peabody View Post
    162 out of 10,000 subscribers isn't a whole bunch. However, losing 11 of it's largest advertisers including it's largest account has gotta hurt. Hopefully, the good people of OK will refuse to advertise with the paper and drive them right outta business. They have a right to their opinion, publishing it with an endorsement of an unpopular candidate in their area comes with pitfalls. Maybe next time they will remain neutral....if there is a next time.

THIS is how you protest....hit them in the checkbook.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob the Slob For This Useful Post:

Professor Peabody (01-02-2017)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bob the Slob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 300x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you ever think of the impact it would have on the employees of the paper such as the proof readers, clerical staff, support staff, truck drivers who deliver the paper, etc who might have been Trump supporters but were not a part of the editorial staff? They could be out on the street due to no fault of their own.

What you are asking basically is to censor those whose opinion differs from yours. Very Un-American of you.
    I think that's a HUGE twist of what happened. Boycotting is the most effective way of disagreeing with a corporation. That's what those newspapers are...corporations. If Americans had HALF the values of the advertisers in OK, then we could bring the back water, the bankers losing our retirement, etc., to the ground with boycotts.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Slob View Post
    I think that's a HUGE twist of what happened. Boycotting is the most effective way of disagreeing with a corporation. That's what those newspapers are...corporations. If Americans had HALF the values of the advertisers in OK, then we could bring the back water, the bankers losing our retirement, etc., to the ground with boycotts.
    Bob, I understand your point; however there is a human element involved here; for merely expressing an opinion (which hurts no one financially nor physically) the OP advocates boycotting the entire "corporation".

The negative impact is that it could put the "corporation" out of business, thus throwing all of the employees out of work (who had no say in the editorial policy) and putting them onto the unemployment line, thus costing taxpayers god know's how much in unemployment benefits, etc. While I agree that boycotting can be a very effective tool in dealing with corporations; in this case to me it seems like a rather hamfisted position to take on a "corporation".
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Grizz's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 556x in 406 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So not the point, the people and the advertisers have the same "right" to exercise THEIR rights to not patronize any business that goes against their beliefs.
    I've never understood why the Left refuses to understand that that sword has two edges.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    So not the point, the people and the advertisers have the same "right" to exercise THEIR rights to not patronize any business that goes against their beliefs.
    I've never understood why the Left refuses to understand that that sword has two edges.
    I never said they didn't; i'm giving my opinion that it was a bad choice to advocate boycotting the newspaper for the reasons expressed above.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,069
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    There is much you don't understand, Grasshopper.
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Grizz's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 556x in 406 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said they didn't; i'm giving my opinion that it was a bad choice to advocate boycotting the newspaper for the reasons expressed above.
    To you yes.
    Not to those doing the boycotting.

+ Reply to Thread