Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool Gender Gap Near Historic Highs

If only women voted, President Obama would be on track for a landslide re-election, equaling or exceeding his margin of victory over John McCain in 2008. Mr. Obama would be an overwhelming favorite in Ohio, Florida, Virginia and most every other place that is conventionally considered a swing state. The only question would be whether he could forge ahead into traditionally red states, like Georgia, Montana and Arizona.

If only men voted, Mr. Obama would be biding his time until a crushing defeat at the hands of Mitt Romney, who might win by a similar margin to the one Ronald Reagan realized over Jimmy Carter in 1980. Only California, Illinois, Hawaii and a few states in the Northeast could be considered safely Democratic. Every other state would lean red, or would at least be a toss-up.

Although polls disagree on the exact magnitude of the gender gap (and a couple of recent ones seemed to show Mitt Romney eliminating the president’s advantage with women voters), the consensus of surveys points to a large one this year — rivaling the biggest from past elections.

The gender gap is nothing new in American politics. Since 1972, when exit polling became widespread, men and women split their votes in three elections: 1996, 2000, and 2004. They came close to doing so on several other occasions. In 2008, for example, Mr. Obama won resoundingly among women, beating Mr. McCain by 13 points, but only won by a single point among men.

See charts in link: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...er=rss&emc=rss

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,561x in 94,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women tend to be more agreeable to a paternalistic government managing life from cradle to grave, than men. It is certainly an argument against the 19th Amendment.

Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Women tend to be more agreeable to a paternalistic government managing life from cradle to grave, than men. It is certainly an argument against the 19th Amendment.

Some of them have better bodies also ... some of them, not most of them

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cigar For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-22-2012)

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    pollycy's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44x in 26 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    If only women voted, President Obama would be on track for a landslide re-election, equaling or exceeding his margin of victory over John McCain in 2008. Mr. Obama would be an overwhelming favorite in Ohio, Florida, Virginia and most every other place that is conventionally considered a swing state. The only question would be whether he could forge ahead into traditionally red states, like Georgia, Montana and Arizona.

If only men voted, Mr. Obama would be biding his time until a crushing defeat at the hands of Mitt Romney, who might win by a similar margin to the one Ronald Reagan realized over Jimmy Carter in 1980. Only California, Illinois, Hawaii and a few states in the Northeast could be considered safely Democratic. Every other state would lean red, or would at least be a toss-up.

Although polls disagree on the exact magnitude of the gender gap (and a couple of recent ones seemed to show Mitt Romney eliminating the president’s advantage with women voters), the consensus of surveys points to a large one this year — rivaling the biggest from past elections.

The gender gap is nothing new in American politics. Since 1972, when exit polling became widespread, men and women split their votes in three elections: 1996, 2000, and 2004. They came close to doing so on several other occasions. In 2008, for example, Mr. Obama won resoundingly among women, beating Mr. McCain by 13 points, but only won by a single point among men.

See charts in link: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...er=rss&emc=rss
    This really stumps me, because "women" are no more (or less) stupid (as a group) than men. Obama is an negligent, incompetent moron, and I don't need to have a pair of testicles to know this. But then (if it is true) what is there about being equipped with ovaries that blinds so many women to being able to see right through this jive-ass clown?

Some of the smartest people I have known in my entire life have been women -- and I'm fortunate to be married to one of the very most intelligent women I've ever met. My wife is completely revolted and disgusted by Obama... hell, she formed a negative opinion of him even before I did -- early in 2008.

But, take your "average" guy, and your "average" gal in America. Why would so many more women prefer Obama over Romney? Try as hard as I may, I just cannot fathom this in anything based in either logic or reason. Can anyone else?
    Onward, to 2020!

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    pollycy's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44x in 26 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollycy View Post
    This really stumps me, because "women" are no more (or less) stupid (as a group) than men. Obama is an negligent, incompetent moron, and I don't need to have a pair of testicles to know this. But then (if it is true) what is there about being equipped with ovaries that blinds so many women to being able to see right through this jive-ass clown?

Some of the smartest people I have known in my entire life have been women -- and I'm fortunate to be married to one of the very most intelligent women I've ever met. My wife is completely revolted and disgusted by Obama... hell, she formed a negative opinion of him even before I did -- early in 2008.

But, take your "average" guy, and your "average" gal in America. Why would so many more women prefer Obama over Romney? Try as hard as I may, I just cannot fathom this in anything based in either logic or reason. Can anyone else?
    As I re-read my post in the hindsight view from November 10th, I still ask the same question: Why would so many more women prefer Obama over Romney (or anyone else with more than a notochord for a brain)?

It's no longer a matter of blaming Obama -- the fault is OURS. What has happened to us, the American people, that we have become so easily manipulated by this public-relations creation, this THING, that the Insiders successfully installed in the White House? If nothing else, I thought that because so many women now have to be the primary wage-earners for their families, they'd abandon the jive-ass nothingness of Obama and his rotten record in office and ally themselves with a successful businessperson who knows economics and the processes of government very well. I really thought that most American women had more sense than this... especially after all we've been through since back in the final miserable Bush years, all the way through Comrade Obama's first four years. Now, we are RUINED....
    Onward, to 2020!

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 978
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Kabuki Joe's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 758x in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...when men see freaks we say "ewwwwwwww"...when women see freaks they say "awwwwwwwwwh"...

Kabuki Joe

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    truthmatters's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 125x in 113 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because there are fewer women who are sociopaths than men

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,561x in 94,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I re-read my post in the hindsight view from November 10th, I still ask the same question: Why would so many more women prefer Obama over Romney (or anyone else with more than a notochord for a brain)?

It's no longer a matter of blaming Obama -- the fault is OURS. What has happened to us, the American people, that we have become so easily manipulated by this public-relations creation, this THING, that the Insiders successfully installed in the White House? If nothing else, I thought that because so many women now have to be the primary wage-earners for their families, they'd abandon the jive-ass nothingness of Obama and his rotten record in office and ally themselves with a successful businessperson who knows economics and the processes of government very well. I really thought that most American women had more sense than this... especially after all we've been through since back in the final miserable Bush years, all the way through Comrade Obama's first four years. Now, we are RUINED....
    Most democrats are single issue voters based on identity politics. Many women believed that Romney wanted to rape them and not pay for their abortions. Obama ran a negative campaign.

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Taxcutter's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 203x in 143 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this not make women complicit in Hussein Obama's atrocities?

Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,899x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The OP's premise is BS. The statistical abstraction is at a level all but meaningless.

From @ Why Demographics Can't Fully Predict How People Vote
    ...From the large sample interviewed by the major media's exit polling consortium, we can see that simple demography can make some very strong predictions. At the extreme, with just two data points—race and gender—we can guess how a person voted 96 percent of the time, if she's a black woman.

But that doesn't tell us why people voted the way they did....

In real life, even with people we don't know personally, the cues we get from interactions and behavior explain more than simple demographics, although they all go into the quick mix of judgments we are forced to form on short notice throughout the day. In statistical terms, the basic demographic variables leave a lot of variance unexplained....

+ Reply to Thread