MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Founders gave the Congress and the Executive branch broad powers for dealing with the real world. Despite their non-intervention beliefs, they took the fight to the Islamofascists of their day. They understood quite well that Washington could not have won the revolution without our collaboration with France. You read their words but you failed to understand them. It happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    There is a big difference between temporary alliances/defending yourself from pirates and creating a massive, sprawling military empire.
    Can you show me in the Constitution where the Federal government has sufficient authority for one but not the other?

You object to our foreign policy. It is clear (to me) that the Federal government has all the authority it needs to conduct the foreign policy it sees as correct.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know what a true conservative is. I do not know what a neo-con is. I do know what a Constitutional Conservative is.
    A true conservative is someone who wants to conserve the republican principles of the founding fathers. Since you're an apologist for empire, which is the enemy of all true republics, you cannot be a true conservative.
    Well, okay. Now I know what your definition of a true conservative is. It seems as if your term is far squishier than Constitutional Conservative. How much of the thousands of pages of writings from the various Founders must one agree with in order to be a True Conservative?

One need only support and defend the Constitution as written and amended to be a Constitutional Conservative. I have something to measure against. It seems to me that you just have a feeling to measure against.

What do you believe a neo-con is?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can agree to disagree about the role foreign policy does play or should play. You may have read some of what our Founders wrote but you do not understand what the Constitution allows.
    You still haven't explained how opposition to empire is "anti-American".
    Your opposition to our foreign policy is fine. You go overboard. I can back off. It is no big deal.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump is obviously not fine. He hasn't been in office for a month yet and he's already lost one of his top advisers. And it was orchestrated by his enemies in the deep state. If they were playing chess, that would be like losing a rook in four moves. That does not bode well for his future.
    Trump is in a war. He gets it. The enemy gets a vote and gets to attack. Now Trump is on the offensive against the media and the intelligence community.

He will be fine. We will be fine.

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Deep State Targets Trump

Thursday - February 16, 2017 at 9:34 pm

By Patrick J. Buchanan

When Gen. Michael Flynn was forced to resign as national security adviser, Bill Kristol purred his satisfaction, “If it comes to it, prefer the deep state to the Trump state.”

To Kristol, the permanent regime, not the elected president and his government, is the real defender and rightful repository of our liberties.

Yet it was this regime, the deep state, that carried out what Eli Lake of Bloomberg calls “The Political Assassination of Michael Flynn.”

And what were Flynn’s offenses?

In December, when Barack Obama expelled 35 Russian diplomats, Flynn spoke to the Russian ambassador. He apparently counseled the envoy not to overreact, saying a new team would be in place in a few weeks and would review U.S.-Russian relations.

“That’s neither illegal nor improper,” writes Lake.

Vladimir Putin swiftly declared that there would be no reciprocal expulsions and U.S. diplomats and their families would be welcome at the Kremlin’s Christmas and New Year’s parties.

Diplomatic crisis averted. “Great move … (by V. Putin),” tweeted Trump, “I always knew he was very smart.”

But apparently, this did not sit well with the deep state.

For when Vice President Pence told a TV show that Flynn told him that sanctions did not come up in conversation with the Russian ambassador, a transcript of Flynn’s call was produced from recordings by intelligence agencies, and its contents leaked to The Washington Post.

After seeing the transcript, the White House concluded that Flynn had misled Pence, mutual trust was gone, and Flynn must go.

Like a good soldier, Flynn took the bullet.

The real crime here, however, is not that the incoming national security adviser spoke with a Russian diplomat seeking guidance on the future president’s thinking. The real crime is the criminal conspiracy inside the deep state to transcribe the private conversation of a U.S. citizen and leak it to press collaborators to destroy a political career...
    Pat Buchanan details the ongoing attempt by the deep state to overthrow the President.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (02-18-2017)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Newpublius's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,123x in 2,793 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump and his supporters are in way, way over their heads.

And the reason for this is simple. Most of them have little to no idea what they're up against or how to combat it.

Ironically enough, much of this is their own fault.

Because the rogue intelligence agencies who are presently attempting to discredit and ruin Trump's presidency before he even assumes office are the same agencies that Trumpian conservatives have helped to enshrine in their nearly untouchable position.

For decades, these agencies have engaged in rampant criminality across the globe, overseeing death squads, torture, assassinations, psychological warfare, drug trafficking, human experimentation, bribery, and countless coups. And for decades conservatives have slavishly deferred to and even championed these agencies as forces of freedom and democracy, insisting that they be given ever-increasing amounts of funding, power, and secrecy. Even Trump himself is guilty of this to some degree, making wildly inaccurate claims about how Obama "depleted" the military and promising to rectify this nonexistent problem by lavishing even more taxpayer money on the military-industrial complex.

The decades of deference and apologia have left conservatives totally ill-equipped to fight this battle, which is why it's only a matter of time before Trump is mollified and his plans for US-Russian detente are severely weakened or reversed.

Naturally, I hope that I'm wrong. Nothing would be better for the world than to see improved relations between two great powers with enough nukes to destroy the planet. But I do not believe conservatives have it in them to take on these agencies because they either do not realize or refuse to admit what kind of evil they are up against.
    Ethereal. Seems to me I'm going to make the daily sojourn to cubicle city either way. How am I in over my head?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpublius View Post
    Ethereal. Seems to me I'm going to make the daily sojourn to cubicle city either way. How am I in over my head?
    Some aren't, most are.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread seems somewhat prophetic now that Trump has submitted to the neocons and attacked Syria.
    --John Adams

+ Reply to Thread