Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Shopping Cart of a Food Stamp Household: Lots of Soda

I'm not big on telling others how to live their lives, especially when it comes to eating the foods they enjoy, but something about this seems wrong. And, of course, the junk food industry is fighting any sort of change that would affect their profits.

There's also the aspect that some people don't really know how to prepare nutritious foods -- and some are just too darned tired to do so after working two jobs.

It seems, however, that as taxpayers who are footing the bill for these SNAP benefits, that we have some responsibility, especially to the children, not to poison their little systems with soda and junk foods.

Is it possible to supplement their food needs in a healthier way without making them feel left out or singled out?

What do households on food stamps buy at the grocery store?

The answer was largely a mystery until now. The United States Department of Agriculture, which oversees the $74 billion food stamp program called SNAP, has published a detailed report that provides a glimpse into the shopping cart of the typical household that receives food stamps.

The findings show that the No. 1 purchases by SNAP households are soft drinks, which accounted for about 10 percent of the dollars they spent on food. “In this sense, SNAP is a multibillion-dollar taxpayer subsidy of the soda industry,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University. “It’s pretty shocking.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/w...snap-soda.html
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take your average Food Bank. I donate food (and things like toilet paper, diapers, toothpaste, etc) once a month. I try to only choose healthy foods, but foods that will actually be eaten. No kid wants lentils, after all. I have never purchased soda pop, candy or regular chips. I have purchased lots of canned foods that can be heated up -- stew, chicken and dumplings, spaghetti, things like that. And, lots of canned fruits. Fresh fruits.

I want the kids to enjoy their food but also get a little nutrition from it.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

resister (01-15-2017)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AeonPax's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,101x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Take your average Food Bank. I donate food (and things like toilet paper, diapers, toothpaste, etc) once a month. I try to only choose healthy foods, but foods that will actually be eaten. No kid wants lentils, after all. I have never purchased soda pop, candy or regular chips. I have purchased lots of canned foods that can be heated up -- stew, chicken and dumplings, spaghetti, things like that. And, lots of canned fruits. Fresh fruits. I want the kids to enjoy their food but also get a little nutrition from it.
    `
    Are you saying you want to start the precedence of the federal government dictating what foods you can or cannot buy or consume? Michelle Obama tried that idea with the school lunch programs. Tell me, how well did that work out? In a day when the right is saying they want to restrict government regulations, you want to expand new regulations that intrude upon a persons choice? - - Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.
    `

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AeonPax For This Useful Post:

Croft (01-15-2017),Trish (01-14-2017)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,530x in 55,047 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “In this sense, SNAP is a multibillion-dollar taxpayer subsidy of the soda industry,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University
    Good old crony capitalism at work. I've long argued welfare is just a transfer of middle class wealth through the poor to the rich. (ObamaCare is the same.)

Remove soda from what can be purchased with SNAP and incentivize people to get a job to feed their sugar habits.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-14-2017)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AeonPax View Post
    `
    Are you saying you want to start the precedence of the federal government dictating what foods are approved or disapproved? Michelle Obama tried that with the school lunch programs. Tell me, how well did that work out? In a day when the right is saying they want to restrict government regulations, you want to expand new regulations that intrude upon a persons choice? - - Be careful what you wish for, you may get it.
    Why not reduce regulation and get rid of SNAP and other welfare?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (01-14-2017)

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AeonPax's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,101x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Why not reduce regulation and get rid of SNAP and other welfare?

`

I would oppose that. The families I know who use SNAP, need it. Considering the DoD/Pentagon wastes, loses or cannot account for 100's of billions of dollars per year (-/+) without a whimper from anyone, especially the right, punishing the poor is an act I see as heinous. Yes, it needs work but nonetheless, SNAP helps people and to that extent, it should stay.
    `

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AeonPax For This Useful Post:

del (01-14-2017)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One element of this discussion being missed is that many low income families and families receiving aide eat and choose unhealthy foods because they cost less than nutritional food. That's just a fact. Eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle is now a luxury for those who can afford it. Just my 2cents.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

AeonPax (01-14-2017),del (01-14-2017)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,630x in 25,167 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True story: I'm a dumb farm kid - well I was a dumb farm kid. Dumb in the sense that I didn't know a lot about the food stamps and stuff like that. Back in the 80's that stuff went on in the big cities and stuff. Well, 1990, living in the ghetto in Cleveland b/c of law school loans. Wife and I went to the Pick-n-Pay grocery store to get formula, diapers and food. In front of us was a couple with two carts (2) jammed full. Lobster or crab legs, ton of meat, all good stuff. Pre-mixed formula (no powder stuff) and name brand diapers. The wife was wearing a fur coat (yes, shopping) and the male had on a "Starter" jacket. I'm standing there and the couple pulls out these 'coupons' that I'd never seen before. I watch the thing unfold and the clerk takes the coupons and then the guy gives cash to her and they leave. Mrs. U paid by check and we walk to our car and I asked Mrs. U (with that straight faced dumb farm boy sincerity) why we didn't have any coupons like that couple in front of us had. Mrs. U leaned over and whispered "those were food stamps they paid with stupid, we don't get those". But... we had to buy the generic this and the powdered formula.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,164
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,265x in 12,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seriously, why are the women in these stories always wearing a fur coat?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AeonPax View Post

`

I would oppose that. The families I know who use SNAP, need it. Considering the DoD/Pentagon wastes, loses or cannot account for 100's of billions of dollars per year (-/+) without a whimper from anyone, especially the right, punishing the poor is an act I see as heinous. Yes, it needs work but nonetheless, SNAP helps people and to that extent, it should stay.
    Problem is fulfilling that need with no requirement of payback only perpetuates the need.

+ Reply to Thread