jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you're getting old when stars from your childhood pass. RIP Margot.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

MrMike (09-06-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waltky View Post
    Uncle Ferd awful sad - he had a big ol' crush on her back inna day...

Lois Lane actress Margot Kidder dies aged 69

Kidder also suffered from mental health problems
    14 May`18 - Actress Margot Kidder, best known for her role as Lois Lane in Superman, has died aged 69.
    I liked to look at her. I had no idea she had a broken brain. And she was a Democrat. (I wonder if there is a connection?)
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

waltky (07-22-2018)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

'Good Morning, Vietnam' DJ and Air Force Veteran Adrian Cronauer Dies at 79...

'Good Morning, Vietnam' DJ and Air Force Veteran Adrian Cronauer Dies at 79

19 Jul 2018 - "If I did half the things [Robin Williams] did in that movie, I'd still be in Leavenworth," Cronauer once said.
    Many things in Robin Williams' portrayal of DJ Adrian Cronauer in "Good Morning, Vietnam" weren't really based on Cronauer. But that drawn-out "goooooood morning, Vietnam" was all Cronauer. Cronauer, the Air Force veteran played by Robin Williams in the 1987 movie, died Wednesday. He was 79. The 1987 movie, which Cronauer co-wrote, was loosely based on his life as an Armed Forces Network disc jockey for a year in Vietnam. But, as he said, it is a movie and Williams' frenzied performance was not him.

"If I did half the things he did in that movie, I'd still be in Leavenworth and not England," Cronauer told Stars and Stripes during a stop at RAF Mildenhall in 2004. "No, I was not thrown out of Vietnam," he said. "I did not have, as far as I knew, any friends who were Viet Cong."

Adrian Cronauer, famed Vietnam-era Air Force disc jockey, with white beard, celebrates during the U.S. Air Force Memorial's the 10th anniversary during a ceremony in Arlington, Va., Oct. 14, 2016.

After serving in the Air Force, he owned an ad agency, managed a radio station, was an anchorman and program director in TV news, and was a voice actor for TV and radio commercials, according to his obituary. Later in life, he was special assistant to the director of the prisoners of war/missing in action office in the Pentagon, raising awareness of the effort to account for America's missing. He lived in Troutville, Va.

His family asks that, in lieu of flowers, mourners make contributions to a veteran's organization of their choice.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/20...r-dies-79.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (07-22-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Superman star Margot Kidder's death was suicide, coroner rules

9 August 2018 - A coroner has ruled Superman actress Margot Kidder's death was suicide.

The 69-year-old actress was found dead at her home in Montana on 13 May. Park County Coroner's office said she died "as a result of a self-inflicted drug and alcohol overdose". A joint statement from the coroner's office and her family urged "those suffering from mental illnesses, addiction and/or suicidal thoughts to seek appropriate counselling and treatment".

Kidder, around the time of her role in the first Superman film

The actress found fame starring as Lois Lane alongside Christopher Reeve in the Superman films of the 1970s and 1980s. Her family has asked for privacy and said no further details will be released. The actress who was bipolar told People magazine in 1996 about her mental health problems and revealed that she had taken an overdose at 14 and suffered badly from mood swings.

Margot Kidder worked in film, TV and theatre but her career peaked with the Superman films

She gave the interview following her high-profile disappearance for several days in 1996 where she ended up living on the streets, paranoid that people were out to get her. "The reality of my life has been grand and wonderful, punctuated by these odd blips and burps of madness," she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45126522

Uncle Ferd had a big ol' crush on her.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

MrMike (09-06-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Neil Simon: Celebrated US playwright dies aged 91...

Neil Simon: Celebrated US playwright dies aged 91
    26 Aug.`18 - Celebrated US playwright Neil Simon has died aged 91 in his native New York City of complications from pneumonia, representatives announced.
    Simon gained international fame in the 1960s for stage and screen comedies including The Odd Couple and Barefoot In The Park. In 1991 he won the Pulitzer Prize For Drama with Lost in Yonkers. "Some say he's the most successful playwright since Shakespeare," Barefoot star Robert Redford once said. Simon was a prolific author. averaging at least one play a year for much of his career, and his work included the hit musicals Sweet Charity and They're Playing Our Song. His wife, Elaine Joyce Simon, was at his deathbed along with his daughters, Ellen Simon and Nancy Simon, in New York-Presbyterian Hospital, his representatives said. Musical theatre star Elaine Paige and actor Josh Gad were among those tweeting tributes to the author.

What works made him famous?
    Some of the greatest American actors of the time starred in films of his plays, notably Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon as The Odd Couple (1968). In the comedy, Matthau played messy, poker-playing sports journalist Oscar Madison sharing an apartment with house-proud TV news writer Felix Ungar (Lemmon), as the two dealt with divorcing their wives. Fans paid tribute to The Odd Couple and his other works on social media. According to Variety, "Beginning in the 1960s, Simon could guarantee good Broadway advance sales, a rare feat for a writer." His name was "synonymous with Broadway comedy and commercial success in the theater for decades", writes The New York Times. His later works failed to connect with broad audiences in the same way but earlier ones like The Sunshine Boys and Plaza Suite were remade for TV, for new generations.

Who was Neil Simon?

He was born on Independence Day 1927, in The Bronx, son of garment salesman Irving Simon and his wife Mamie. His Jewish childhood in the city would return again and again in his stage and screen work. The psychological depth of his works may owe something to his own painful experiences early in life, notably the stormy relationship between his parents. After writing comedy for radio in the 1940s, he tried television work before turning to Broadway and the cinema.

Simon is seen here in 2006

Among the honours he received was a Tony Award for Best Playwright in 1965 for The Odd Couple. "When I was a kid, I climbed up on a stone ledge to watch an outdoor movie of Charlie Chaplin," Simon recalled for Life magazine. "I laughed so hard I fell off, cut my head open and was taken to the doctor, bleeding and laughing... My idea of the ultimate achievement in a comedy is to make a whole audience fall onto the floor, writhing and laughing so hard that some of them pass out."

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45316069

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,862
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waltky View Post
    Neil Simon: Celebrated US playwright dies aged 91...

Neil Simon: Celebrated US playwright dies aged 91
    26 Aug.`18 - Celebrated US playwright Neil Simon has died aged 91 in his native New York City of complications from pneumonia, representatives announced.
    RIP. He was a great talent.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

MrMike (09-06-2018),Trish (08-27-2018),waltky (08-27-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BREAKING: Burt Reynolds Dies from Heart Attack....

Burt Reynolds, the popular 1970s actor known for his starring roles in classics like "Smokey and the Bandit," and "The Longest Yard,"died from a heart attack Thursday.

Reynolds was Hollywood's top-grossing star every year from 1978 through 1982, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

The actor passed at Jupiter Medical Center in Florida. He was 82.....snip~

https://townhall.com/culture/cortney...ttack-n2516524

R.I.P. Burt Reynolds.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

MrMike (09-06-2018),waltky (09-06-2018)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That gets me right in the heart. RIP Burt

And thanks for Smokey and the Bandit. Sally Fields and those tight pants made my 12 year old self happy more than a few times.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

waltky (09-06-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Granny thought he was a hunk when he was the blacksmith on Gunsmoke...

Burt Reynolds, rugged leading man of 'Smokey and the Bandit,' 'Boogie Nights' fame, dead at 82
    September 6, 2018 - Burt Reynolds, the mustached sex symbol of the 1970s and 1980s, who ruled the box office with good-ol’-boy movies like Smokey and the Bandit and earned the critical praise he so badly desired in Starting Over and Boogie Nights, died Thursday in Florida of cardiac arrest, his agent confirmed to Yahoo Entertainment. He was 82.

Reynolds’s niece, Nancy Lee Hess, released a statement calling his passing “totally unexpected.” “It is with a broken heart that I said goodbye to my uncle today. My uncle was not just a movie icon; he was a generous, passionate and sensitive man, who was dedicated to his family, friends, fans and acting students,” she said. “He has had health issues, however, this was totally unexpected. He was tough. Anyone who breaks their tail bone on a river and finishes the movie is tough. And that’s who he was. My uncle was looking forward to working with Quentin Tarantino, and the amazing cast that was assembled. So many people have already contacted me, to tell me how they benefitted professionally and personally from my uncles kindness.’ Hess concluded, “I want to thank all of his amazing fans who have always supported and cheered him on, through all of the hills and valleys of his life and career. My family and I appreciate the outpouring of love for my uncle, and I ask that everyone please respect our family’s privacy at this very difficult time.”

As much as Reynolds represented an era, he also stood as a timeless cautionary tale. After a five-year run as Hollywood’s No. 1 male movie star, from 1978 to 1982, Reynolds fell into a funk of flops and personal problems, including unfounded health rumors and a nasty tabloid divorce from TV star Loni Anderson, from which his career never recovered. Looking back once, Reynolds said he had something no one could take from him: He was “part of film history.” “You die with that,” Reynolds said. “They can say his career went downhill after that; he made bad films.’ It doesn’t matter.”

Burt Reynolds

Born Feb. 11, 1936, in Michigan, Reynolds was a Florida State University football player who broke into Hollywood in his early 20s. The early going was rough. He was fired from a studio on either the same day or in the same year, he would alternately recount, as Clint Eastwood: Eastwood was told his Adam’s apple was too big; Reynolds was told he couldn’t act. Riverboat, ended when he quit because, he said, “I wasn’t getting along with the star … and I had a stupid part.”" data-reactid="43">His first steady gig, on the TV Western Riverboat, ended when he quit because, he said, “I wasn’t getting along with the star … and I had a stupid part.”

Gunsmoke, Reynolds would chase breakout fame into his mid-30s. The actor credited guest-hosting stints for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show with leading him to two career-changing job offers: a role in Deliverance and a chance to pose for Cosmopolitan magazine." data-reactid="44">Although he became a regular on the long-running hit show Gunsmoke, Reynolds would chase breakout fame into his mid-30s. The actor credited guest-hosting stints for Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show with leading him to two career-changing job offers: a role in Deliverance and a chance to pose for Cosmopolitan magazine. Cosmo centerfold spread placed a naked but strategically covered Reynolds on a bear rug and put the actor on the map as a sex symbol." data-reactid="45">Published in April 1972, the Cosmo centerfold spread placed a naked but strategically covered Reynolds on a bear rug and put the actor on the map as a sex symbol. “I can’t believe the chicks are turned on by it,” Reynolds told the Associated Press at the time.

MORE

17. The Following User Says Thank You to waltky For This Useful Post:

MMC (09-07-2018)

+ Reply to Thread