User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can Nintendo Switch Win Lapsed Gamers?

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,354
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Nintendo Switch Win Lapsed Gamers?

We're now less than a month out from the release of Nintendo's next game system, the Switch, which will double as both the company's next home console and handheld system (it can distinctively go either way) and furthermore include the general features of a tablet. Indeed, Nintendo is marketing the Switch as a kind of tablet that specializes in video games. This and many other things about the Switch (including the return of standardized motion controls, for example) strongly indicate that hardcore gamers are not the main intended market for Nintendo's upcoming system. Rather, the big N seems to be aiming to revisit their philosophy from the Wii and DS days with this machine, which focused mainly on drawing in a combination of new, casual, and lapsed gamers.

One can argue that the company's move away from this philosophy with the Wii U has been the reason for their weak commercial performance throughout the current console generation. (The Wii U is Nintendo's worst-selling home console ever.) On the Switch, they'll appeal to their existing brand loyalists with sandbox-style Legend of Zelda and Mario games and to the casual gamer with tablet features, but perhaps the most important audience the machine is likely to appeal to is neither of these, but the lapsed gamer instead. The slated line-up of third-party published games is instructive about this: Japanese publishers will bring to Switch some of the more popular franchises of the 1990s, complete with retro stylized graphics, including Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic Mania), Street Fighter (Ultra Street Fighter II), and Bomberman (Bomberman R), along with a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger called I Am Sensuta and many other old-school, sprite-based RPGs, while low-tech indie games like Cave Story, Shovel Knight, The Binding of Isaac, and Has-Been Heroes will also be ported to the Switch. Another instructive indicator: the Switch will be the first home console to use cartridges since the Nintendo 64 in what, it's safe to say, is a naked appeal to 1980s and '90s nostalgia, which is particularly obvious given that cartridges cannot even hold some of today's larger games.

So what is the lapsed gamer, you ask? In case the matter isn't clear, the lapsed gamer, also known as the "retro" or "old-school" gamer, is the sort of video game player who has perhaps sat out a couple two, three, or four console generations or perhaps hasn't felt truly satisfied with the medium since the general replacement of sprites with polygons in the mid'-90s. People like @The Xl and @Common, for example. People who value the accessibility and local multiplayer features that used to characterize mainstream video games, but don't so much anymore. You know...

ultra-sfii-1.jpg

...conservative gamers, you might say. Though I consider myself a more progressive gamer who prefers indie games more for their frequently more holistic design and thematic boldness...you know...

Gone Home 7.jpg

...nevertheless I know I can be a sucker for sprite-era nostalgia myself! You know...

Gone Home 4.jpg

It was my childhood!

Well anyway, the real question here I think is that of whether the Switch can succeed in drawing in lapsed gamers. What do you think? Is the Switch's appeal to convenience and its line-up of sprite-based games sufficient for that, or will the $300 launch price tag, the somewhat anemic launch line-up, and the fact that the aforementioned indie games at least are also available on the rival PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as well as home computers and in some cases furthermore for smart phones as well, stop that from happening?
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-06-2017 at 07:12 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (02-22-2017)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, what is the lapsed gamer?

Me! And the newest Nintendo consol sounds like fun so they may be onto something.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crepitus For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (02-06-2017)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember my Nintendo from the 80's with fondness. But I doubt I will ever be interested again.
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to resister For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This actually sounds awesome. I'm probably going to get the switch by the sound of it. I think it's a good business decision too, they weren't going to catch Sony and Microsoft with the hardcore gamers anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention old-school RPG games. Pray tell, is the Dragon Warrior series included in that?
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hal Jordan wrote:
    You mention old-school RPG games. Pray tell, is the Dragon Warrior series included in that?
    There are four newish Dragon Quest games that are slated for release on the Switch, but none dating back before 2012. Definitely nothing old enough to still have the Dragon Warrior title. At least for now anyway. Here's a list of the games slated for Switch release that I found. A lot of the games listed are spiritual sequels to games from the '80s and '90s or remakes of them. To name some more examples that I didn't before, the boxing game Arms, for instance, is obviously inspired by Punch-Out! while Stardew Valley is basically a perfected version of the original Harvest Moon and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a remake of the 1989 Sega Master System action-platformer of the similar name Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap.

Personally, some of the Switch games that most interest me include the graphic adventure RiME, the survival game The Binding of Isaac: Antibirth+, Puyo Puyo Tetris (a crossover of Tetris and Sega's puzzle franchise Puyo Pop), Littler Inferno (which I never got around back when it first came out), I Am Setsuna (the spiritual sequel to Chrono Trigger), and of course Stardew Valley and Splatoon 2. I'd LOVE to have portable versions of all those games to take with me on the go!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-06-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooo, here's a just-announced Switch game that looks like super adorable fun to me!

It's called Minna de Waiwai! Spelunker, reportedly, and, as you can see, it will be a cooperative 2D cave exploration game. Obviously the aforementioned game title is Japanese, as there is no American title yet. Even if it never comes out Stateside, that won't be a problem because, in a highly welcome change of pace, Nintendo's upcoming system won't be region-locked, so I'll be able to, if necessary, just buy the Japanese game and play it on my American Switch system! In fact, since it comes out on April 20th in Japan, has no slated American release date as yet, and doesn't exactly look like it'll rely on dialogue, I think I might do just that regardless, as I see no point in needlessly waiting for a formal U.S. release when my machine won't have any region locks anyway.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 02-07-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my new most-anticipated Switch game! This looks like the perfect game to play on the go.

+ Reply to Thread