Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool What is Race and Racism

Race and Racism

Illumination Project Curriculum Materials
    By Dr. Rowan Wolf, Sociology Instructor and Caroline Le Guin,Writing Instructor Portland Community College Oregon
    INTRODUCTION
    There aren’t too many Americans who want to claim to be racist, and most people would like to believe they are “colorblind” when it comes to matters of race. But race and racism are integral and inescapable parts of our culture and social history. Race consciousness is key to how we learn to perceive ourselves and the people around us (even if we don’t always want to admit it); just think of how we describe people—“an elderly asian woman, about five foot three; a tall black man in his thirties, wearing a leather jacket”. In these “identifying descriptions”, race, along with gender, is essential,especially if it is other than white.
    Given the importance of race to our society, it’s remarkable how difficult it is to talk about and how complex the definitions of race and racism can be. In fact, the issues surrounding the definitions of race and racism are themselves a product of racism’s long and conflicted history in our society. Any discussion of race and racism probably should begin with definitions of the concepts involved, especially since there tends to be confusion and overlap between a lot of the terms.
    DEFINITION OF CONCEPTS
    Race:
    Race is a socially constructed artifact that categorizes people based on visual differences which are imputed to indicate invisible differences. These categorizations are amorphous and fluid over time which reflects their social rather than physical basis. Its significance arises out of the meanings we as societies assign to it, and the way we structure race in our societies. This structuring shapes what we refer to as "institutional racism" (defined below).

Racism:
    Racism can be defined simply as any policy, belief, attitude, action or inaction, which subordinates individuals or groups based on their race.What this definition leaves out, however, is the specific historical formation of racism as an institution and an ideology over the last several hundred years. Taking into consideration the social and historical perspective, Paula Rothenberg offers this more pointed—and useful--definition of racism.

"Racism involves the subordination of people of color by white people. While individual persons of color may well discriminate against a white person or another person of color because of their race, this does not qualify as racism according to our definition because that person of color cannot depend upon all the institutions of society to enforce or extend his or her personal dislike. Nor can he or she call upon the force of history to reflect and enforce that prejudice. . . . History provides us with a long record of white people holding and using power and privilege over people of color to subordinate them,not the reverse."(Paula Rothenberg. Defining Racism and Sexism)

https://www.pcc.edu/resources/illumination/documents/race-and-racism-curriculum.pdf

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Scrounger's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 311x in 237 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cigar,

Is it me or is it that people opposed to white culture seem to have a monopoly on defining what racism is?

In my way of thinking, the Chinese could also be accused of racism. They have had culture wars and today, probably in excess of 95 percent of the Chinese are Han Chinese. Now, despite this, there is never any problem with their version of racism. There are more Chinese in China than there are white people on the face of the earth. They aren't being pursued by black America. No sir. the blacks buy electronics made in China; they feed their dogs dog food made in China and they wear clothes made in China. Yet there isn't a swinging soul with political power in China that even resembles an individual whose ancestors are black.

I don't know what I'm missing. But, if some white people have this concept of race and they understand it, what is your problem with allowing them the God given Right to Freedom of Association? Other groups are not expected to live up to your standard. Hell, your own race isn't required to live up to them.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Cigar,

Is it me or is it that people opposed to white culture seem to have a monopoly on defining what racism is?

In my way of thinking, the Chinese could also be accused of racism. They have had culture wars and today, probably in excess of 95 percent of the Chinese are Han Chinese. Now, despite this, there is never any problem with their version of racism. There are more Chinese in China than there are white people on the face of the earth. They aren't being pursued by black America. No sir. the blacks buy electronics made in China; they feed their dogs dog food made in China and they wear clothes made in China. Yet there isn't a swinging soul with political power in China that even resembles an individual whose ancestors are black.

I don't know what I'm missing. But, if some white people have this concept of race and they understand it, what is your problem with allowing them the God given Right to Freedom of Association? Other groups are not expected to live up to your standard. Hell, your own race isn't required to live up to them.
    Refresh my memory ... exactly how many centuries were Chinese slaves in America?

Ok ... back to the subject.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can't effectively police individuals' thoughts. Institutional racism is what society can effectively address.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (02-17-2017)

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Scrounger's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 311x in 237 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Refresh my memory ... exactly how many centuries were Chinese slaves in America?

Ok ... back to the subject.
    That is what it really comes back to, right? I would say this to you:

Slavery did not start in the United States of America. It did not even start with white people. And, despite its nature, the black slaves in America were much better off in most respects over their blue collar, white counterparts.

So, what you're telling me is that it is not racism you fret over, but slavery from the past. That being the case, even if racism were taken off the table, you'd still have your Fruit of the Looms in a bunch over slavery. Black people hate the whites and will not be satisfied until they have conquered them and destroyed the white race via inter-racial marriage. That is the clear and unequivocal message you're sending us today.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 2,138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slavery did not start in the United States of America. It did not even start with white people. And, despite its nature, the black slaves in America were much better off in most respects over their blue collar, white counterparts.

So, what you're telling me is that it is not racism you fret over, but slavery from the past. That being the case, even if racism were taken off the table, you'd still have your Fruit of the Looms in a bunch over slavery. Black people hate the whites and will not be satisfied until they have conquered them and destroyed the white race via inter-racial marriage. That is the clear and unequivocal message you're sending us today.
    Black slaves did not have it better than their blue collar counterparts. They were slaves. Property.

Black people don't hate whites anymore than you hate blacks...well, that may not be completely accurate given your statements.

Achievements:
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    We can't effectively police individuals' thoughts. Institutional racism is what society can effectively address.
    True ...

Achievements:
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can't speak about experiences I personally don't know about ... I've only lived in America ... how about you?

Achievements:
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Black slaves did not have it better than their blue collar counterparts. They were slaves. Property.

Black people don't hate whites anymore than you hate blacks...well, that may not be completely accurate given your statements.
    Wow ... that's some broad statement he made ... he must know an awful like of Black People

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, that's not the message he is sending you today, that is the message you are trying to express, but are using Cigar's thread as a medium. You hit the nail on the head in regards to white nationalism/supremacism, their biggest fear is interracial marriage. Why do you think it took so long for the laws against miscegenation to be removed from the books? Because the south was rife with the ideology that you described above. Every move a WN/WS makes has that end game as part of the problem. A good example is how so many want to disband the department of education. Why? because it allows too much mixing of the races, but that is not the message that you can speak to the masses with, so you use terms like "vouchers", or "homeschool". This is why it's important to listen to people when they talk, because usually you will get to the underlying truth sooner or later.

+ Reply to Thread